• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oil slick effect?

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
You know when light shines on oil and it breaks up the light into rainbows? I wonder if you could mix oil into the rit somehow and get that onto a disc? This could be a retarded idea, what do you guys think?

if you don't completely rinse off the acetone from removing the stamp, you get a similar effect. it's just super inconsistent.

That effect is actually called "thin film interference". I'll spare the details, (it's all physics/optics) but it's a special sort of reflection pattern created by the oil.

I don't think there is any way to legally create this effect on a disc surface (other than what AP said), as any way of doing it would certainly be of a measurable thickness, and would definitely alter the flight characteristics.

The closest I can think of would be some sort of rainbow effect with dyes, but good luck with that.

p.s. To any physics majors out there, I am very aware that I drastically oversimplified here, but you get the point.

I know a way of transfering an opalescence like this to ceramics, but it involves heating the object you want the opalescence up to about 800 degrees, your disc may not fair too well.