• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Open 2 division

Perhaps the primary purposes for amateur divisions is to give PDGA members the opportunity for organized competition with players of similar skill levels.

Just have the amateur divisions suit the needs and wants of the amateur players.

I'm a bit confused here. I thought AMs played in order to stockpile massive mounds of plastic and merchandise. The end goal being to Scrooge Mcduck through a collection.

I'm interested in this competition talk, please explain in further detail.

I think that falls in the second paragraph:

"....wants of amateur players."

divisions

I think 3 divisons is enough. Imo novice is silly. I rarely see any tournaments offer it. I would like to see advanced start at 950. I am a 925 rated player who puts up some advanced rated rounds and will more than likely be rated advanced by the end of the summer. I get called a bagger if i play intermediate and if i moved up to advanced i wouldnt be competitive.

After thinking about it i would like to see:
899 and below rec.
949 and below int.
950 and above pro

I think 3 divisons is enough. Imo novice is silly. I rarely see any tournaments offer it. I would like to see advanced start at 950. I am a 925 rated player who puts up some advanced rated rounds and will more than likely be rated advanced by the end of the summer. I get called a bagger if i play intermediate and if i moved up to advanced i wouldnt be competitive.

899 and below rec.
949 and below int.
950 and above pro

Not to single you out, but this just illustrates where these kinds of discussions always break down. No matter where you draw the lines, there is always going to be someone just under that line like you are. Moving the line from 935 to 950 is just going to put the 940 players in your shoes instead. Then it's just a matter of time before the 940 player is called a bagger by the 920s (or more likely the 890s who could and probably should move down where they belong anyway) and harassed about moving up.

As long as people choose to ignore or overlook the numbers and just "call it like they see it", we're never ever going to come up with a system that everyone 100% agrees with. At some point, don't we just have to go with something and trust it? Let the numbers do their job, play where they tell you to be, and see how that works? We're going on 15 years with ratings and ratings-based divisions, yet we're still arguing about divisional lines based on locally-based biases and opinions. It's silly.

899 and below rec.
949 and below int.
950 and above pro

You can almost do this now, by running a tournament with just MPO, MA2, and MA3. The only difference would be for the 935-949 rated players.

Try it, as a demonstration event.

divisions

Not to single you out, but this just illustrates where these kinds of discussions always break down. No matter where you draw the lines, there is always going to be someone just under that line like you are. Moving the line from 935 to 950 is just going to put the 940 players in your shoes instead. Then it's just a matter of time before the 940 player is called a bagger by the 920s (or more likely the 890s who could and probably should move down where they belong anyway) and harassed about moving up.

As long as people choose to ignore or overlook the numbers and just "call it like they see it", we're never ever going to come up with a system that everyone 100% agrees with. At some point, don't we just have to go with something and trust it? Let the numbers do their job, play where they tell you to be, and see how that works? We're going on 15 years with ratings and ratings-based divisions, yet we're still arguing about divisional lines based on locally-based biases and opinions. It's silly.

Their is some difference. Advanced players can be anywhere from 935 to 1035 if they wanted. Now that's not likely but their are plenty of advanced players who are good enough to play open but never will. So when/if I hit 935 I'm expected to compete against players who are rated high enought to play pro but never will for whatever reason? If advanced was 935-970 only then I see no problem but there are always those players in the 980-1000 range who aren't ever going to play pro. I'm not bashing those guys for not moving up but its not a fair playing field. in my area I can play advanced and at least place middle of the pack but if its a pdga their are several locals who play pro in nonpdga events and advanced in pdga events.

Latest posts