• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Opto Vs. Gold Line River

I have both. My opto is domey and more stable than my GL. I throw nice S-shots with the opto, and Leopard-like right turns with the GL. YMMV

There is a ton of info in the lat thread, searching for river turns up a ton of posts already up.

Opto/gold line domey/flat heavy/light. there are a ton of river flavors and a ton of answers to match. Tons of variance with this mold. In general gl is less stable and breaks in faster than opto. more domey equals more stable, less dome less stable. light is less stable, heavy is more stable. That is why i chose the greatest disc of all time the leopard. ( almost as many varieties too ) ymmv.

What are the benefits and flaws for both? And which do you prefer?

Goldline: Beats in faster, More flexible/bendable, Prettier, grippier (imo), Less Overstable then opto.

Opto: Beats in slow, Stiffer, Clear, Slightly slicker (imo), More Overstable

Dominess is huge with the River. I have a flat Opto that flies like a flat GL of the same weight.

I have found that the stability is about the same from Opto to Gold Line. The Opto will maintain it's stability longer due to it's increased durability. I still throw Gold Line over Opto though.

I have both and throw my Gold Line faaar more often. They both started out about the same, but the Gold Line seems to be beating to that perfect sweet spot just a bit faster.

if you want it to turn over easier get gold line. Gold line can be easilly beat in. Opto holds the light turn and fades back with a ton of glide.

gotta go with what ya like... but often you have to balance that with what's available. I prefer the grip of the gold line plastic myself, but that's just my opinion. The grip of opto isn't bad, but gold line is the best plastic being produced right now, imo. I have 2 that are neutral/stable for me, both flat and 172g. They'll hold a turn if you put one on that line, but my throw is w/ slight hyzer and they're both really straight and sneaky long. Need more stable, get a teebird. Need more turn, get a pro/dx leopard. But a gold line river is a thing of beauty, literally. If you have a shop nearby, you should go feel 'em up and see what suits you. For my $16, it'll be a gl river all day.

Latest posts