• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oracal 651

I just started cutting my first vinyl! A clockwork orange by Stanley Kubrick for my orange aero. I gotta go to class but what I've noticed is it's hard to cut straight lines. Any advice for making it look perfect?

sharp exacto blade. dont stop either. make it a fluent motion

I got my blade and am using 11s.

Do you move the vinyl around the blade to turn corners and such? I'm finding myself picking up a lot on corners because I can find a proper way to turn them.

sharp exacto blade. dont stop either. make it a fluid motion
FTFY

Stop in at any one of the dozen or so sign shops in Lawrence and ask for some scrap pieces of vinyl. Cut that design 2-3 times on the scraps and your lines will get better each time. Gives you a chance to get the hang of weeding too.

I spin the vinyl all the time, that's why I don't really like regular light boxes, not big enough to let my vinyl spin freely.

And the Oracal 651 is the best vinyl for dyeing that you can get IMHO.

Last edited:
I find it easier to cut curves (or really the whole thing unless it's all straight lines) with a swivel knife:

http://www.xacto.com/Product/X3241

I still find rotatiing the vinyl/contact paper is necessary on big cuts, but for smaller details, you can pull the blade in any direction, so it's easier to do a smooth line vs. jagged polygon-looking edges.

First off, good on ya for "accidentally" getting one of the best vinyls for dyeing. :thmbup:

I spin the vinyl all the time, that's why I don't really like regular light boxes, not big enough to let my vinyl spin freely.

I use a big piece of glass(actually the door from an entertainment center) on top of my lightbox. The box stays still because I can move the glass around with the vinyl taped to it.
Great for taping, masking, transportation, makes life a lot easier. I can cut on it, leave my weeded vinyl on it, cleans easy, and since it's a good 1/8" thick and treated so as not to break easily(again, it's from an old entertainment center/television stand/thing), it doesn't scratch easily, and it doesn't break when dropped onto carpet from desk height. :|

Awesome guys. I have a feeling I'm going to fall into a deep addiction doing this. How do I get cheap/ throw away discs to practice on? What kind of local store sell the correct rit or idye poly?

Thanks for all the help!

P.S. I went through the entire dye a day thread in one sitting and saved all the images I liked. Awesome discs guys. Some are just brilliant

FTFY

Stop in at any one of the dozen or so sign shops in Lawrence and ask for some scrap pieces of vinyl. Cut that design 2-3 times on the scraps and your lines will get better each time. Gives you a chance to get the hang of weeding too.

And the Oracal 651 is the best vinyl for dyeing that you can get IMHO.

i actually had it spelled that way first but thought it looked wrong

Awesome guys. I have a feeling I'm going to fall into a deep addiction doing this. How do I get cheap/ throw away discs to practice on? What kind of local store sell the correct rit or idye poly?
You gotta con all your disc golfin' friends into thinking your gonna do something great for 'em :D. But also try x-outs online and the Discraft misprint package.

JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby are both good places to get Rit locally, the iDye isn't available in our area as far as I can tell.

found it:

photo-1.jpg

oooh, i hope you checked the date on all that rit...

and FYI, i've never had good results with the "tan". it usually came out purple.

I find it easier to cut curves (or really the whole thing unless it's all straight lines) with a swivel knife:

http://www.xacto.com/Product/X3241

I still find rotatiing the vinyl/contact paper is necessary on big cuts, but for smaller details, you can pull the blade in any direction, so it's easier to do a smooth line vs. jagged polygon-looking edges.

I agree with Truk here. It's a different form than with a normal blade, more upright, and with less pressure. But once you figure it out, there's really no going back. Kind of amazing how much faster you can perform complex and tight curves with the swivel vs. the traditional blade. Also as Peebody said, it's all about PRACTICE.