• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips to avoid accidental floating high reachback

disc-golf-neil

Birdie Member
I've noticed in video footage, my reach back accidentally floats high up to my back shoulder when I'm trying to keep it closer to the bottom of my chest.

I believe it happens due to bending the knees into the brace step, with the body sinking down the arm floats up. I've also developed a bad habit of looking back to watch my reach back to try to make sure I'm doing what I want to do with it.

I'd bet it has to due with your tilt/balance. There's nothing wrong with the arm/disc floating to the top of the backswing, or looking back at the disc.

Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 12.47.52 AM.png

I got to know having the disc high at the top of the backswing, then going low and high at the end as dipping. Havent seen that term in a while though and I guess it is not used anymore.

The doorframe drill has helped me to eliminate this in my form.

The cue for me was to keep my hand low and drop my shoulder down to the height of my hand.

However, as sidewinder says, I'm not sure if that is even desireable to "fix".

Awesome, thanks.

Maybe it's not an issue if other things are correct but for me sometimes the arm floats up to where I'm pulling into the power pocket near collar-bone height when I planned for it to be closer to nipple height. If my pull into the power pocket corrected the excess height it wouldn't be an issue, but if I already have to make a correction I'd rather align the plane instead of adjusting it midway through.

It may also happen because I'm trying to keep the elbow up too much ahead of time instead of bring it up during the power pocket when it's actually needed. I see lots of pros look like they have elbow down initially but then it comes up during the power pocket or it just looks more down due to a forward-leaning hyzer body angle. Additionally, it could also be happening because I'm reaching full extension too soon before the brace step so the arm floats up while waiting back there, maybe I need to delay the pull back longer instead of right as I come out of the X step, wait until my brace foot is half-way through it's stride to the brace.

Also, as for looking back at the pull back, maybe it's something indirect that it's causing me to do that results in an issue. When I've kept my my head tucked into my leading shoulder, as if I'm trying to keep looking forward but I can't fully, it often feels like it has a positive result. Maybe it just helps me remember to keep my chin tucked during the throw whereas looking backwards makes me want to whip my head around back forward during the throw and then I over-do it and look up and accidentally throw more upwards than intended.

I threw 385 ft on my third week playing, but was normally topping out closer to 350-360, but I felt like I was muscling it a lot and kept hearing people talk about how it doesn't feel like they are exerting their arm a lot. So I tried to make some form improvements and also stop muscling but now (5 weeks in) I've regressed quite a bit and rarely get 350 even, usually close to 300 on a big throw. I think making form adjustments just ended up messing up my timing probably.

Last edited:
If you want more advice on your form I suggest you make a post in the Form Analysis sub forum and video yourself.

I threw 385 ft on my third week playing, but was normally topping out closer to 350-360, but I felt like I was muscling it a lot and kept hearing people talk about how it doesn't feel like they are exerting their arm a lot. So I tried to make some form improvements and also stop muscling but now (5 weeks in) I've regressed quite a bit and rarely get 350 even, usually close to 300 on a big throw. I think making form adjustments just ended up messing up my timing probably.

It sucks but form takes a lot of time to settle in. In my experience changing form also involves regression (which can be really frustrating and have you second guessing the change you made) but it usually pays off. Not sure I can actually offer you helpful advice here but maybe others have more insight on the sequencing you are struggling with.

If were talking about backswings, most pro's have a high backswing then it drops into plane and stays on plane.

The key thing is when were doing this or teaching this is the better we can start it there, the more likely it is to stay there, vs us swooping or dipping or dropping the elbow.

The important parts are when we are driving the disc forward, that the disc gets on plane and stays on plane and comes out clean to prevent off axis torque.

Whatever happens before that really doesn't mean much. But.. effort to effort, pound for pound.

Trying to do what makes things efficient and easy are really the best way to go if possible.

If were talking about backswings, most pro's have a high backswing then it drops into plane and stays on plane.

The key thing is when were doing this or teaching this is the better we can start it there, the more likely it is to stay there, vs us swooping or dipping or dropping the elbow.

The important parts are when we are driving the disc forward, that the disc gets on plane and stays on plane and comes out clean to prevent off axis torque.

Whatever happens before that really doesn't mean much. But.. effort to effort, pound for pound.

Trying to do what makes things efficient and easy are really the best way to go if possible.
Thanks, I think a lot of it happened because of me trying to keep the elbow up too soon.

That advice is given too simplistically I think. Putting it up early means if my arm floats up a bit it's now neck high and annoying. Lots of pros have their elbow dropped until the lower pocket and that felt natural to me as well but I tried to follow elbow up too rigorously later on. It makes sense the advice is blanket for people who keep accidentally dropping it though.