• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable Midrange???

birdman101

Double Eagle Member
I am looking to replace my ESP (ace race) hornet its starting to beat in and get flippy. I have heard that the Z hornets are completely different as far as stability. I was looking at getting a wasp or a drone but don't really know what I want to do. Reason for this is I throw a buzzz so might as well stick with discraft, but im not apposed to any other manufacturer.

So I'm looking for thoughts, comments, preferences from you all as far as what you use as your over-stable/ windy day midrange.

For an overstable / windy midrange disc you can't go wrong with the Drone. That thing is a tank when it comes to holding a line in big winds. I prefer the flx plastic, but the elite z plastic is not too shabby either. The only downside is that I don't think you will get quite the same distance from the Drone as you did with the Hornet. If you want a disc with a bit more distance but a little less stability, then go with the Wasp.

Last edited:
I don't see why you wouldn't stick with the Hornet if you are considering a wasp

Like others have said, the drone is great but not as long as the hornet. I've had my flx for over a year and it is still my most stable disc by far

I have good luck with my Champion Gator.
It's not a very long distance disc though.
Really meathooks quick unless there's significant wind.

Depending on your power, a Z Wasp might be plenty stable for your needs.

If a Z wasp isn't stable enough, try a Z Hornet, and then a Z/Flx Drone

You will not be sorry, discraft has the midrange on lock ;)

Z Hornet=Vector=Q Sentinel

If you think the hornet might be too stable, back down a few grams, maybe a 173g as opposed to a 180. Or, just get a DX Viper. Bwahahaha!

I've go e to a gremlin. Just tried it out and it fits good for me between a Roc and a whippet.

why not stick with the hornet? better distance and less stable than the drone but still plenty stable.

D Drone is awesome! its really straight and consistent in all conditions. im getting it out about 20' short of my buzzz's. and it feels way more natural in the hand than the bastard of a disc the hornet. the D definitely flys farther than the FLX but its not as overstable.

ive tried a few different hornets and just couldnt find one i liked. i liked the way they felt in my hand but wasnt happy with the flight. some were even flippy. a max weight z wasp is where its at. i also like flx drones for those really windy days or a nice predictable fade. the drone is a very under-rated disc in my opinion. comet-buzzz-wasp-drone for the win!

I would say a star cro. They are IMO more stable then the hornet but you can still get D with the speed of the disc.

The Vector is a bit more overstable than the Hornet and glides better. It's also more durable.

Viper. it's more of a mid to me than a driver.

Since I found a champion viper in a basket, I have been in love with it. Throw it hard, watch it fly out, and cut left (RHBH) like nothing I have ever thrown before. If someone has a suggestion for something similar that is more available, let me know.

I like the Pain, but if a Hornet was working for you buy another Hornet. Don't mess with what works for you. And if you do, buy a Latitude disc!

Stay away from the Vector. They are too inconsistent. The vector I got is completely flat and is about as overstable as my glo buzzz, maybe a bit less. I threw a hornet and a pain after I got the Vector and they were both closer to what I was looking for. This was all because my ESP wasp was getting beat in. I went with an opto pain and I'm a big fan.

Latest posts