• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

overstable midrange

I have a drone in the bag for that slot, but I have been just powering down my XXX more than throwing the drone

hornet for the win.

:D I've had my Z Hornet (170g) for about a year. When new it is way overstable and I could BH hard anhyzers in a head wind to create a flex shot. After taking a lot of beatings in wooded NC courses it has lost some of it's predictable fade but still has all the high speed stability that it had from day one. After getting beat in over a year it mimicks the same flight as my Z Wasp (175g) but it will go further and is more comfortable in my hand.

What's the point of an over stable mid for headwind shots, really? I assume it is to act like a stable mid right, 250-320ft with a lil fade? Why not throw OS fairway since this HEADWIND is going to take some D off your shot anyways. Same results, 250-320ft with a lil fade.

I do carry a m1 and two gators that's why I stated you choose your discs for the right situation. If every hole were the same I'd use the same disc everytime.

I have drivers and mids from over stable to under stable because you never know what your gonna get into. Best part of the sport IMO.

I go with a zone for a short OS midrange, vector for medium OS midrange distance (and if i dont need it it to be as meaty), and hornet for longer midrange OS shots.

What's the point of an over stable mid for headwind shots, really? I assume it is to act like a stable mid right, 250-320ft with a lil fade? Why not throw OS fairway since this HEADWIND is going to take some D off your shot anyways. Same results, 250-320ft with a lil fade.

More control than a fairway driver, on approach shots anyway.

More control than a fairway driver, on approach shots anyway.

We could debate that, but we could also debate here that plastic is not plastic. If I'm punching an OS mid in a headwind I have to crank more one it, thus exercise some loss of control. If I punch a OS fairway, only need 60-80% of power translating into more control.

I guess the reality is that's the art of the game, playing your shot your way with what you have most the confidence in. Every one will be different.

We could debate that, but we could also debate here that plastic is not plastic. If I'm punching an OS mid in a headwind I have to crank more one it, thus exercise some loss of control. If I punch a OS fairway, only need 60-80% of power translating into more control.

I guess the reality is that's the art of the game, playing your shot your way with what you have most the confidence in. Every one will be different.

True, but you're basing it soley on driving with a mid. What about approach shots in windy conditions? OS mids play a key role there.

What's a nice overstable midrange? I throw Buzzzes for every mid range shot, but need something with more fade and less glide

This thread has gotten into a big crazy argument. No one seems to be focused on helping the OP. The OP throws a buzzz for straight midrange shots. So do I. If you want to throw a nice 250-300ft avg stable mid into a 20+mph headwind then you should try a drone (stable) or a demon (overstable). You can throw them hard and level and they will fight the wind straight and finish left without the massive 50ft skip that an OS driver would give you. I use the both a ton here in florida in very windy conditions.

If you get a demon, get the evolution plastic. their cheap plastic will warp badly with one hard shot into a tree.

Good Luck

This thread has gotten into a big crazy argument. No one seems to be focused on helping the OP. The OP throws a buzzz for straight midrange shots. So do I. If you want to throw a nice 250-300ft avg stable mid into a 20+mph headwind then you should try a drone (stable) or a demon (overstable). You can throw them hard and level and they will fight the wind straight and finish left without the massive 50ft skip that an OS driver would give you. I use the both a ton here in florida in very windy conditions.

If you get a demon, get the evolution plastic. their cheap plastic will warp badly with one hard shot into a tree.

Good Luck

^^^Wise words...

True, but you're basing it soley on driving with a mid. What about approach shots in windy conditions? OS mids play a key role there.

I'd trust a stable putter more than an overstable mid in approach shot range. Throw that os mid on an approach and watch the skip put you way past the basket.

You can play with the wind or against it. The choice is yours.

To the OP: Any of the more overstable mids from Discraft will suit you well. You wanted something with more fade and less glide, so probably the Hornet is out (it's got mad glide). You're probably looking at a Drone or Zone (which is really a fast putter or tweener vs. a true mid), but hey. Wasps likely won't be as OS as you're looking for.

Also, I like this thread, and vicariously, so should you: Are overstable mids pointless? (I think the answer is "No," as I throw a Hornet to compliment Comets, but could also get by without one and just a throw a DX Roc or three).

Not always. I want an OS disc that I can thrown on hyzer will continue to hyzer without being pushed down. In particular on a left to right cross wind. A shot that I would normally throw with my Wasp, but in the wind would get pushed down early, I would want to switch to the Drone. Just because you are looking for a wind disc, does not mean it is a head wind only disc.

But to me stable = neutral, like a Comet. A Buzzz is overstable (unless it gets thrashed) and a flat C-MD2 is a tick more overstable than a Z Buzzz.

The Buzzz is not OS. And the Comet is not neutral.

OS means it has a fade if thrown flat. Stable or Neutral means that a disc will hold the line you put it on.

A Comet, an stable/neutral disc, will hold a hyzer, go straight, and hold an anny. An understable disc will not demonstrate those same properties. This is why lots of people use neutral discs for an anny disc, because it will lock into the line.

Understable discs are intended to use for more of a turnover, where if you throw it flat it will turn on its own. These can also be annyed, like you would a comet, but they are not the same.

The nice thing about a neutral mid is that if thrown on an anny it will be slightly longer and make for big sweeping hyzers/anhyzers. Plus, a neutral disc will beat into an understable disc.

I hope this helps. There has been several discussions about the differences between the two.

OS means it has a fade if thrown flat. Stable or Neutral means that a disc will hold the line you put it on.

A Comet, an stable/neutral disc, will hold a hyzer, go straight, and hold an anny. An understable disc will not demonstrate those same properties. This is why lots of people use neutral discs for an anny disc, because it will lock into the line.

Understable discs are intended to use for more of a turnover, where if you throw it flat it will turn on its own. These can also be annyed, like you would a comet, but they are not the same.

The nice thing about a neutral mid is that if thrown on an anny it will be slightly longer and make for big sweeping hyzers/anhyzers. Plus, a neutral disc will beat into an understable disc.
Agreed, and this is one of the big reasons I switched back to Comets from Rocs as my main mid.

Latest posts