• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] P McB Proto- THE KONG...er, um...THE ZEUS!

I don´t think Paul really had the time to dial in the Zeus for the 2019 season. . but now he have

It was a thing of beauty to see Paige park the 426ft hole 15 at Fountain Hills with her Zeus both rounds. . the flight she got on that Zeus was SO pure

Paige definitely threw the Zeus often, and well. In fact, its pretty obvious she put a lot of work in with the whole Discraft lineup during the offseason. She flat out slaughtered all the other women this past weekend. Her drives were way better than before, and she wasn't needlessly torquing Defenders OB, like last year.

Zeus

Finally got to throw a Zeus for the first time today. I've thrown 4 of the proto Kongs prior. I feel like I've made my displeasure with those discs abundantly clear, so I'll just move on to discussing the Zeus.

Disc is a first run ESP 174g. Discraft seems to still be doing the swirly ESP. This disc is stunningly gorgeous. Slightly gummy/rubbery feeling plastic. Grippy too. Dome is good, maybe slightly above average.

IDK if Discraft made any tweaks to this mold at all after the proto Kongs, but I liked this Zeus more than any of the Kongs. It has a gentler flight. By that I mean it actually has the advertised -1 turn, which it holds for a while before fading. I was able to get some good rips on the Zeus and pretty much turn it over at will. With the Kong that simply wasn't happening. Even if I torqued the Kong over it was very quick to fade back to hyzer.

My only real gripe about the Zeus is lack of glide and a bizarre late fade. The disc comes out of the hand well and speeds along nicely. However, late in flight the Zeus decides its done going forward and falls out of the air like a rock. It isn't even really a fade. The disc just slows and falls straight down. This happened on multiple throws, and I can't explain it. I figure this inelegant/sharp drop at the end of flight costs the disc at least 30' of distance. I think my best shot with the Zeus today might have been 385'. Wind conditions were a little chaotic.

Overall I liked the disc. For me the Zeus flies like the numbers say it should. I was able to lay into it hard and flat and get some flex. This is a far better flier than any of my 4 Kongs are. Lack of glide and the weird late fade are a little annoying.

I'll pick a calmer day and throw this thing some more. I definitely feel like the Zeus was shorter than it should have been. That despite a full flex flight.

Zeus: 12, 4, -1, 3: Lack of glide hurts a little. The Zeus doesn't get much late distance. It slows down quickly and at times seems sluggish.

Last edited:
Going lightweight

I was wondering how the lightweight Zues are flying. Like 164 to 168 gram discs. I come from Legacy and the Outlaw which has the exactly same flight numbers. The max weight are overstable beasts and the mid to high 160s absolutely bomb. any help is much appreciated.

I was wondering how the lightweight Zues are flying. Like 164 to 168 gram discs. I come from Legacy and the Outlaw which has the exactly same flight numbers. The max weight are overstable beasts and the mid to high 160s absolutely bomb. any help is much appreciated.
I have a newest run Zeus that is 164-166g. It is one of my favorite discs. It flies pretty true to its flight numbers even with my 400ft amateur arm. Thrown flat i can get the -1 turn.

I was throwing the Zeus last night a bit, I have one proto and one first run and I was surprised at how much I could stretch it. The first run is maybe a bit less Os, but still plenty stable and I could put it where I needed FH and BH, the proto was harder to throw backhand for me, little more OS but FH... that's a bomber disc. I threw it pretty good 450+ a couple times and then I decided to throw a few hard and it went 500+ twice. That was shocking, I didn't think I could get it dialed in that well.

I guess Discraft likes Drew G latest Top driver video

Drew wasted about 3 years of youtube content by making the "top discs" videos.

He had a stack of brand new discs and threw them once. Nothing, and i mean NOTHING, can be taken from those videos.

He should have done a series, with one disc at a time, like 8 min videos. Where he throws multiple shots.

Then the yearly finally could be a distance throw-off, where he actually has an idea of what the disc will do.

Drew wasted about 3 years of youtube content by making the "top discs" videos.

He had a stack of brand new discs and threw them once. Nothing, and i mean NOTHING, can be taken from those videos.

He should have done a series, with one disc at a time, like 8 min videos. Where he throws multiple shots.

Then the yearly finally could be a distance throw-off, where he actually has an idea of what the disc will do.

Maybe not three years but it definitely would have helped if he had thrown the discs for a week or so before filming the videos. It's a cool idea for a series, and I still enjoyed the videos, but the concept was poorly executed. I'd really liked to see a human trebuchet like Drew throw multiple shots with the top contenders, and average those out to get a better idea of which disc(s) actually fly the farthest. Also, there should have been one consistent measuring method between all of the videos. Still, it's safe to say that the Zeus bombs.

Those of you that throw these, what are the characteristics of a less stable Zeus. Maybe it is just me, but every single one of these that I have tried seem to be just overstable turds. I know they are flying off of the shelf everywhere so other people have to be doing better with them than I have.

Those of you that throw these, what are the characteristics of a less stable Zeus. Maybe it is just me, but every single one of these that I have tried seem to be just overstable turds. I know they are flying off of the shelf everywhere so other people have to be doing better with them than I have.

I have never seen a "less stable Zeus/Kong". My 1 Zeus and 4 Kongs have all been on the overstable side. They're stubborn fliers that take a ton of power to propel.

That said, last time I threw my Zeus I was cranking it out to about 450' consistently. I was having a good day in the field and absolutely manhandling it. The Zeus will take all the arm I have without flipping. I find that I need a perfect throw to get anything out of it. If I miss my line or release a little bit the disc will stall out short.

Conclusion: The Zeus takes a big arm to throw properly. You will NOT be rewarded on mis-throws. I've grown to like my Zeus, but it took a long time for me to learn it. I figure you need at LEAST 400' power to really get a Zeus flattened out. Otherwise it'll just hyzer out. These things definitely aren't easy to throw, and I understand peoples' frustration with them.

This is speaking just from my experience with a proto and a first flight, so take it with a grain of salt.

The proto was overstable and didn't glide all that much. Definitely the kind of turd you're describing. The first run I have is 167g and fairly flat, and on my first few rounds with it definitely seemed more overstable than I'd expect it to be. After a bit of flashing wore off and it hit a few trees though, that changed. Mine started out at maybe 12,4.5,-0.25,3 and now flies like 12,5,-1.5,2.25. It's held these flight characteristics after the initial beating in period quite well. It took about 10-15 rounds to get to the second set of flight numbers, but has held at them for at least another 20-25 rounds without noticable change in flight. Those numbers are all based on my power level though, I average 400-450' on flat ground with the Zeus, but high max distance hyzerflip turnovers have flown 500+, and 10' elevation drop tailwind drives have gone over 550' with the Zeus. It definitely has a threshold of power to get that turn out of it, if I don't quite nail my timing or otherwise aren't releasing as fast, I notice I just flip up to flat and fade out early rather than turn over and ride right before getting a penetrating, forward fade. I don't think I've thrown it less than 375' RHBH, though, and it's a beefy driver for my forehand at 300'-325'. No turn and a more substantial fade at that distance. I'd say it requires about 400' of power to not fly like a rather overstable disc at sea level.

Alright, I gave them another whirl today. I didn't artificially beat them up, but I did just bend them in half both directions for a bit to loosen them up and that seemed to help gain some glide quite substantially. They were flying just as far as my destroyers after I did that, but still had a pretty strong fade at the end of their flight. They do feel really nice in the hand especially for forehand so I think I am going to keep giving them a shot for a bit and see what happens when they break in a little.

Big Z Zeus

Tried one of these for the first time today. 170-172g.

Nice dome on this Zeus. ESP Zeuses seem to be flat, but the Big Z Zeus I threw today was different.

Honestly, I loved the way it flew. Compared to an ESP Zeus the Big Z has better glide, more high speed turn, and less late fade. Thrown hard and flat it'd bend right, sometimes to the point of not coming back. Once the Big Z Zeus started turning it'd stay turned for a while. It was in no hurry to fade, either. This disc also glided very well, much better than I'm used to seeing w/ ESP Zeuses. I won't quite call the Big Z Zeus flippy, but it will get away from you at times on max power rips.

Top distance was at least 450'. I got into a good rhythm today and started smashing some drives. The Big Z Zeus had no trouble keeping up with other, faster drivers.

Final thoughts: The Big Z Zeus performed well. Those who think the ESP Zeus is too beefy and lacks glide should definitely check it out. The Big Z Zeus can get a little too "drifty" on hard rips, and sometimes will end up right of where you want it. The fade is late, and fairly subtle. Good disc for max distance bombing; It's pretty long for a speed 12. Big Z Zeus reminded me of a beat Destroyer or maybe an Enigma.

Big Z Zeus: 12, 5, -1.5, 2.
ESP Zeus: 12, 4, -0.5, 3.

The Big Z Zeus really isn't very similar to the ESP version. Way better glide, and more high speed turn.

A guy was selling discs out of a box at our course last week. I bought what appears to be an Elite X Zeus. I can't find any evidence that these exist on the internet. Am I just searching poorly? Great thrower BTW.

A guy was selling discs out of a box at our course last week. I bought what appears to be an Elite X Zeus. I can't find any evidence that these exist on the internet. Am I just searching poorly? Great thrower BTW.

They exist. They were part of a, I believe, limited three disc PMcB bundle. I believe it was the Zeus, Malta, and maybe the Luna, but am not sure about the last one, that came out in X.

They exist. They were part of a, I believe, limited three disc PMcB bundle. I believe it was the Zeus, Malta, and maybe the Luna, but am not sure about the last one, that came out in X.

It was a Zeus and Malta in X plastic and the Luna was a special Soft blend. I wish they'd run the 3 discs as production runs as I really like all 3 but really feel that they're $12 discs at most, I don't want to pay $16+ each for mid level plastic. If they'd run Anaxs and Athenas in X that would awesome. Once it warms up I suspect the X Zeus will be pretty US, but the X Malta is definitely cycle able, especially if you pair them with a Big Z or ESP.

It was a Zeus and Malta in X plastic and the Luna was a special Soft blend. I wish they'd run the 3 discs as production runs as I really like all 3 but really feel that they're $12 discs at most, I don't want to pay $16+ each for mid level plastic. If they'd run Anaxs and Athenas in X that would awesome. Once it warms up I suspect the X Zeus will be pretty US, but the X Malta is definitely cycle able, especially if you pair them with a Big Z or ESP.

Thanks for this. I did a search and found some of the boxes available.

Latest posts