• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Phoenix Area Courses I Just Got To Play

Jimb

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I just wanted to give a shout out to the people of the Phoenix, AZ area. I got to come here for three days of training for work and I'm heading home tomorrow.

It might be odd, the way that I select courses I'm going to play, but sometimes I don't just go for the best rated courses. I like to look at the character, and convenience, of courses for me to play just as much as the rating sometimes. I was also intentionally avoiding courses with water on them as I only brought 5 discs and didn't want to lose any. So here's what I did.

Course #1 was Los Olivos. It was the closest course to the airport in the direction of my hotel. I thought that I might only get to play one course, so I wanted to be able to get there quickly. I really enjoyed it and playing through the olive trees of the former orchard was a very cool, and different experience. :thmbup: for AZ course #1.

Course #2 was Paseo Vista. It was about 15 minutes beyond my hotel and just seemed like a very cool setting. My flight got in earlier than I expected, so I got to play it after I played Los Olivos. I liked the idea of the dusty fairways and "typical" Southwest vegetation... plus the cool concrete mandos. :thmbup: and a half for course #2.

Course #3 was Fiesta Lakes. Work had gone too late each day this week and I had given up hope of playing again while in AZ. Fortunately, we got out of there early today and so I had enough time to play one more course. Fortunately, Fiesta Lakes just happened to be a <5 minute walk from my hotel room. OK, I was trying to avoid a course with water, but there was no way that I was passing up this opportunity. Other than a couple navigation issues, I loved the course. I've played a total of 5 disc golf courses that are incorporated into ball golf courses. This would definitely be my favorite. They made great use of the water, trees and fairways with risk/reward options, etc. to make a very interesting disc golf course. I only put one disc in the water, and that was on a blind approach where I didn't know how extreme the drop off was beyond the ball golf green. Fortunately, I was able to get it out pretty easily since it just rolled into the edge of the water. So :thmbup::thmbup: for course #3.

All in all, I had a fantastic time on the Phoenix area courses and would love to get back here again sometime to play some more. You guys and gals are very fortunate to have this number of courses in the area.

Good playing, everyone!

Last edited:
Ididn't get to play Fiesta Lakes while there, but I played the other two. I thought that both Paseo Vista and Los Olivos were really cool beginner courses, I wish there weren't such major safety issues at Paseo but I thought the culvert mandos were really fun.

You definitely came during the right time of year. Shame you couldn't get out to Buffalo Ridge.

I am headed down to visit family next week. I can't wait to finally play all the courses on the east side. Really looking forward to Fiesta Lakes.

JimB- Glad you enjoyed it. There are some other courses saved for next time.

I wish there weren't such major safety issues at Paseo but I thought the culvert mandos were really fun.

Just curious, but what safety issues at Paseo Vista? Maybe I am just naïve to them, but I don't notice any safety issues when playing there.

JimB- Glad you enjoyed it. There are some other courses saved for next time.

Just curious, but what safety issues at Paseo Vista? Maybe I am just naïve to them, but I don't notice any safety issues when playing there.

So many of the fairways play parallel to one another, I saw multiple drives go one or two fairways over from where they were aimed. There's also the hole where one fairway wraps around another, I saw a bunch of newer players ignore it and throw directly over the previous basket (it's early in the course, maybe holes 3 and 4?).

So many of the fairways play parallel to one another, I saw multiple drives go one or two fairways over from where they were aimed. There's also the hole where one fairway wraps around another, I saw a bunch of newer players ignore it and throw directly over the previous basket (it's early in the course, maybe holes 3 and 4?).

There was one other group, and two other single players on the course when I played it. The group was far away from me the whole time. But I got thrown upon 2-3 times by the other two guys. Twice, I don't think that they knew I was there, which is kind of scary. Two weren't really close, probably 30' from me while I was on my fairway. The other time, the guy did yell "fore" as he had pulled his drive way off line (easy enough to do). It basically flew about 20' past me right over my head. So I know exactly what you mean.

You definitely came during the right time of year. Shame you couldn't get out to Buffalo Ridge.

I sure did! It was 75-82 degrees each day that I played. It was awesome weather!

And Buffalo Ridge is what the two locals who I finished my 2nd 9 at Los Olivos recommended. Hopefully I'll have the chance in the future!

Last edited:
I am headed down to visit family next week. I can't wait to finally play all the courses on the east side. Really looking forward to Fiesta Lakes.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Remember, though, that it's really a 9 hole course with 9 tee areas with two baskets each. I don't know why it's called and 18 hole course.

Oh ok. Yeah, I guess I can see that. WHen I played there I was either the only one, or the other group was way ahead of me, or way behind me. Only once or twice did I have a group near me. Ive never had any issues myself. You are talking about hole 1 and hole 2. Most people ignore that. How it flows it shouldn't be a problem. Ive never felt like I was in danger there

Latest posts