• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pictures of your vintage discs

BrainStorm69

Par Member
I have searched the forum and wasn't able to find any thread like this (maybe I just missed it somehow), so decided to start one. I thought it would be neat to have a thread with pictures of everyone's old discs, sort of a pictorial history. I'm sure there must be folks on the board with old plastic that people would like to see pictures of.

I have some vintage plastic (most of it used), since I have been playing disc golf off and on since about 1980, so I'll start it off.

First up is one of the oldest discs I have, a "Patent Pend." Aero. This disc was produced before Innova got their patent on golf discs, so it doesn't have the patent number on the underside, it just says "Patent Pend."

The "Disc Covering the World" stamp on this is supposed to be pretty rare, or at least was at one time.

Discovering01.jpg

My next disc is an old school Stingray, and was retired after I made my first ace with it in 1989. I love the old stamp.

StringRay01.jpg

And speaking of old stamps, how many of you remember this old Hammer stamp? This disc is, unfortunately, cracked. A friend of mine owned it and I saved it after he cracked it since it had the old school Hammer stamp.

Hammer01.jpg

I'll be adding some more pics soon, as I still have some old discs worth showing. Anyway, post your pics of your vintage plastic for everyone to see!

Here is one more I had to add. One of the three Midnight Flyer DG discs I first purchased circa 1980. Unfortunately, I have lost the other two (one at Waterloo Park in Austin, the other I'm not sure where). Can you believe it still glows after almost thirty years?!!!

MidnightFlyer01.jpg

Bugbee said:
Calling Working Stiff...
I'll play...but it will have to wait until next week. My wife said if she caught me looking at disc golf websites over Christmas she was sending all my presents back, and I don't wan that...I saw the box from Marshall Street! :D

Uh, oh. Here she comes! Gotta go!

Here is my oldest Lightning disc...the venerable P-38 Lightning (of course). In rubbery plastic, bought in the mid 80s.

P-3801.jpg

And my oldest Discraft disc...the Sky-Streak. I'm not sure whether this was ever even PDGA approved or not. Doesn't say so on the disc.

SkyStreak01.jpg

dgdave, thanks for the info. Why do you say above that you wish this thread was here a couple of years ago? Did you have a bunch of old plastic that you no longer have?

Here's an original Gumbputt that I found over 20 years ago. The stamp was rather faded, so at the time I decided to use a marker to trace it back. Not the brightest of decisions... :lol:

Gumbputt01.jpg

DSCI0090.jpg

DSCI0091.jpg

Here's an old Hammerhead, original gazelle, Mirage and an Avair XD. I've got a soft spot for the throwbacks 8)

Roy, nice discs! I really like the Aviar XD. I never had one with the "Aviar" on the stamp. I never owned a Mirage or a Hammerhead either. I wish I had bought extras way back in the day to keep pristine. I have some unthrown stuff, but not of my earliest discs.

Here is my only Super Puppy putter.

SuperPuppy01.jpg

Yeah, I've kinda gotten out of the collecting/hoarding side of dg. I had a ton of original mint stuff. I started consolitating in 06, but before then, I've the majority of the big collectors stuff. Pat Pend. Areo, eagle, aviars, 01 rocs (I had 10 at one point), lots of star stamped discs, 1st runs, etc.

I keep going in cycles of collecting and not collecting. Its getting tougher because the old stuff is getting harder to find in mint condish and its costing more.

Well, since I seem to have a putter theme going, how about a couple of old Aviar "hands" putters? I don't know how rare these are these days, but I saw some guy on ebay trying to sell a really beat up one with half the stamp gone for $75, so either they are somewhat rare, or the guy is an idiot. :lol: I had another blue one that unfortunately I cracked just a couple of weeks ago.

AviarHands01.jpg

AviarHands02.jpg

I have a special place in my heart for WHAM-O 86 Softies. In fact, I still putt with a black one. I also have a couple of orange ones that I have putted with in the past. Here are four unthrown Softies in my collection (I do have some old virgin plastic) 8) . I really like the white one. It has a rainbow stamp that this picture just doesn't do justice to.

Softie01.jpg

Softie02.jpg

Softie03.jpg

Softie04.jpg

And how many of you have ever seen an 86 hard mold?

86Mold.jpg

I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying this thread. So cool to see the "forefathers" of our current discs. Keep it up!

Here are a few pics of my favorite Lightning disc ever...the Spitfire (now known as the #3 Flyer).

Spitfire01.jpg

I really like this clear one...and it floats (160 g).

Spitfire02.jpg

I never went to the Worlds, but I picked this one up somewhere.

Spitfire03.jpg

And finally, the old school Spitfire stamp!

Spitfire04.jpg

Wicked cool Lightning! I wish I had some planes, those are so sweet.

Latest posts