• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Piney Woods Open: November 10-11, 2012 @ Lindsey Park in Tyler, TX

pablo.diablo

Eagle Member
I'm headed back to get revenge for my poor performance at War of The Roses in July. Who else is going?

I have asked DD about the format, and they are looking into revising it to get the Intermediate division playing Dogwood (hopefully). I asked if they would consider switching the INT/REC divisions. If you look at the flyer, just consider swapping Pool B and Pool C.

I think the format for Advanced and Open is great for that skill level. You would get to play Dogwood Shorts then Blue/Hickory Longs on Saturday, and Dogwood Longs on Sunday. You don't get to touch the red course but who cares, Dogwood is awesome!

I'm signed up and coming down! Super stoked heard great things about these courses and this event!

Dogwood is terrible

You serious? hahaaaaaa

Challenging does not equal terrible.

I have an acquaintance or two in our local club that would likely agree with you. But that's only because they cry like babies anytime you put them in any sort of technical golf environment.

"I only like courses that are easy (and stroke my ego)!"

"There's TOO MANY TREES!!!"

Last edited:
That is correct. Very tough, also well-designed with tight lines. The Rose City guys have really paid attention to people's suggestions and adjusted the course accordingly.

I'd list Dogwood/Lindsey Gold as one of the most difficult courses I've played that is actually fair. For the most part, lines are available, you just have to execute the shot.

Sweet! I love courses like this gotta hit the line and execute! It really seperates players and shows weakness real quick!

Looking forward to playing it!

On Dogwood (Gold), single digits (above Par) is great.

Hickory (Blue), same thing, but a better chance to break Par I think. So like (-3 to +3)

Cedar (Red), about the same as blue from the new long tees. You should be able to break Par but it's not guaranteed. It may actually be a little harder than Blue now.

I would not EXPECT to break Par on any of them, rather enjoy the courses and hopefully your score comes out in your favor. Everybody will blow up at least 2-3 holes on every course.

Dogwood is terrible

Ok to be fair the last time I played Dogwood was like 2 years ago at Piney Woods. I guess the course was newish then? At the time, it looked like someone went in and put baskets and tee pads in random places. There were very few holes that had any kind of fairways. It was probably the furthest from being a fair course as I had ever seen. Its not that I don't like hard courses, I like Texas Army Trail, but it has actual fairways. Same thing with the Lake Nacogdoches course. When it was brand new there were fairways. And Cedar Hills at Jack Brooks. All 3 of those are difficult courses with a lot of trouble to get into if you get off the fairway. But there are fairways. At Dogwood there wasn't. I don't think there should be gold level courses where the best way to play the holes is throwing 200' rollers so when you hit you don't kick that far in.

With all that being said, I knew then that when the course got a little bit more mature and got broken in a bit more, it could be a fun, challenging course and I really do look forward to playing it again.

Ok to be fair the last time I played Dogwood was like 2 years ago at Piney Woods. I guess the course was newish then? At the time, it looked like someone went in and put baskets and tee pads in random places. There were very few holes that had any kind of fairways. It was probably the furthest from being a fair course as I had ever seen. Its not that I don't like hard courses, I like Texas Army Trail, but it has actual fairways. Same thing with the Lake Nacogdoches course. When it was brand new there were fairways. And Cedar Hills at Jack Brooks. All 3 of those are difficult courses with a lot of trouble to get into if you get off the fairway. But there are fairways. At Dogwood there wasn't. I don't think there should be gold level courses where the best way to play the holes is throwing 200' rollers so when you hit you don't kick that far in.

With all that being said, I knew then that when the course got a little bit more mature and got broken in a bit more, it could be a fun, challenging course and I really do look forward to playing it again.

funny because the last time I played it was at the (first time they used it for) Piney Woods and I had played it a few times before that. I still think you only have a few holes that didn't have a fair fareway. 7&8 maybe?

Its not that I don't like hard courses, I like Texas Army Trail, but it has actual fairways. .

do not agree with this at all, i see it the other way, dogwood gold is much more reasonable when compared to army trail

Dogwood is terrible

This is probably coming from someone that wants to be in an open field, with a max hole distance of 150ft. Dogwood is a great course, now that it is been around for awhile there are multiple lines to throw on for almost every hole. A great challenge and definitely can produce a different round everytime you play it.

GREAT COURSE!!! The ultimate equalizer, for people without a ton of distance but with good control. I play ADV. but din't have a big arm and Dogwood evens the playing field a little!

I WILL BE THERE!!!!!! Hell I go to Tyler for every touney they have!! Great set of courses at Lindsey Park!!!

funny because the last time I played it was at the (first time they used it for) Piney Woods and I had played it a few times before that. I still think you only have a few holes that didn't have a fair fareway. 7&8 maybe?

That's been changed for the most part, every hole has fairways some are just smaller than others :D

Last Piney Woods I played rec men instead of advanced women, just because it meant I wouldn't have to play dogwood. This is the first Piney Woods I know of that will have am women and rec playing dogwood. It's not that I hate dogwood. I've just been on too many ladies cards that took 5.5 hours to play it.

I said I wouldn't come back after the locals jacked up the red course turning it into another blue course, but I think I'm getting drafted into going. :-\ I'm still mad they took the only good red course in the area with concrete tees and made it too hard for the average player. Lindsey park used to be a place to take the family, but now it's just for elites.

dogwood is the best .... Ill be there since its the home course hope to see all and many adv masters...!!!! I get more plastic if more players..!!! lol

agree i emailed him and said wtf he has adv masters not playing dogwood and yes woman and int... thats insane told him to talk to jerry power he ran it smooth since dogwood with two tournys with 200+

Latest posts