• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poison oak, poison sumac, poison ivy, chiggers, and ticks. A great way to be misery!

Chiggers are a mess. They itch a lot. I've had them twice recently. The first time they crawled onto my QuadShocks/bag and then onto me when I was carrying my bag... because all the chigger bites were about where my bag and straps contacted my body. Second time was when they crawled down my shoe. The bites aren't painful, but they do itch.

Chiggers are a mess. They itch a lot. I've had them twice recently. The first time they crawled onto my QuadShocks/bag and then onto me when I was carrying my bag... because all the chigger bites were about where my bag and straps contacted my body. Second time was when they crawled down my shoe. The bites aren't painful, but they do itch.
You should wear a shirt when you play.:eek:

Believe it or not he best way to avoid chigger bites would be to play totally naked. Chiggers crawl around until they find a moist area to settle in and then they inject an enzyme into a skin cell. Thats what causes the itching and swelling and redness. It you were totally naked you would be less likely to have a moist area that they would like.

That's probably why wearing goretex prevents foot and ankle chiggers because it keeps the feet dryer.

GoreTex socks no underwear and a kilt would work pretty good also.

The hot shower idea is AFTER you've washed the oils off, using cold water and soap and a washcloth. It's a way to relieve the itching.

The Oil from the plant is what causes the allergic reaction, and once it's gone, you can't spread the rash by iscratching or any other means- that's an old wives tale. Usually when someones poison ivy spreads it's because they didn't wash the oil off, or they got it on some clothes, bed sheets, car seats, etc.

Ok, that makes more sense. I just know if there is any chance that the oils are still on your skin it isnt good to open the blisters or skin pores. I've gotten it in my blood stream before and it spreads everywhere.... Man P.I. sucks!

Believe it or not he best way to avoid chigger bites would be to play totally naked. Chiggers crawl around until they find a moist area to settle in and then they inject an enzyme into a skin cell. Thats what causes the itching and swelling and redness. It you were totally naked you would be less likely to have a moist area that they would like.

That's probably why wearing goretex prevents foot and ankle chiggers because it keeps the feet dryer.

GoreTex socks no underwear and a kilt would work pretty good also.

beg to differ....i got those ****s underneath the sac, yeah that sac

Bugs

Ticks come off easy if you dip a cotton ball in fingernail polish remover and blot him with it,this might take a couple of times but it works,a with chiggers,the best thing I found,is to get some B1 tablets(vitamins),and crush 'em up in a bowl( about 10-20 tablets),add a little bit of water or club soda,and kinda of make a paste and spread it on your ankles or pant legs,this will not only keep the chiggers off but ticks to and most every other kinda of bug.:rolleyes:

Removing Ticks...
I heard if you flip them upside down they are easier to pull out... and the head won't break off which limits the chance of infection. An NPS ranger told me this... so it must be accurate - right?
DSCJNKY

Here in South Texas, we are world renowned for our ticks, fleas and chiggers. If you spent anytime outdoors, you couldn't help but get bit.

Growing up as a kid, I can't remember a time during the summer that I wasn't covered with chigger or tick bites. Something was always chewing on me. LOL

What I found out was to, first of all, wear long pants if you were in a known area where these little critters hang out.

Second, if the area I was in was really bad, I would take two flea and tick dog collars and wrap them around my ankles OVER my long pants and boots.

I never got nibbled on once when using the collars when everyone around me was being chewed up.

If you try this, just be careful not to have the collars touch bare skin. After all, they are poisonous, but it really works.

Woodpecker

Chigger Hill in Nashville was the worst I have ever seen.

I am fortunate. They don't mess with me too much. They seem to like pasty white guys and I am very dark skinned.

To remove a tick, use tweezers... grab the critters head and slowly but firmly pull on it till it lets go!

Never use a match unless you want him to sploodge into your bloodstream.

I tried a couple of new products to help with this issue.

One is called BullFrog. It is in a spritz bottle and did a great job. Plus it is SPF30 sunscreen.

Believe or not Avon's Skin So Soft kept the flies, skeeters, and most other things away. Not to sure about chiggers though.

Not only are people somewhat "immune" to poison ivy (like myself), but I also have heard that certain people with certain blood types are "immune" to ticks as well. I should knock on wood right now, but I have never had a tick on me and I've been hiking for over 30 years and playing disc golf for 11 years. Every time I play with friends, they will have ticks embedded, but somehow I escape the terror. Ticks are smart little buggers and can see their chosen host walking toward them from almost 50 feet away. I'd rather see a bear on the fairway then to see a tick embedded in my skin! Lyme disease is a serious thing!

Interesting trivia about ticks and certain blood types. I've been out in woods my entire life and until I started disc golfing, never once encountered a tick (despite no bug spray, wearing shorts, etc.) I've been with people who have picked them up, but I'm always tick free. I've found two ticks on me, on my calf, and only one had bitten me, and even then he was barely attached even though he must have been there quite a while.

However, I do attract mosquitos like you wouldn't believe.

Technu Extreme works great for poison ivy (and oak and sumac) for removing oils and for dealing with the itch if step one doesn't work.

The hot shower thing (after oils are washed off, of course!) works well for all manner of itch, I do it for mosquito bites, if possible just putting the effected body part directly under hot water so I can get it as hot as possible.

I have never gotten a tick, but my husband seems to pick them up fairly often. We picked up a "tick key" at REI, which might be a little gimmicky (tweezers work fine, I guess) but it works really well!

Latest posts