• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Posts instead of Baskets - what counts as "in"?

GMSdrum

Bogey Member
I just played the Husky Live Oaks course at Houston Baptist University today. This course has wooden posts instead of baskets, each of which is about 3-4 feet tall with a metal target sign on it.

My question is, what counts as "in" - do you have to hit the target sign, or just get the disc to touch anywhere on the post?

Specifically, let's say I threw a drive on hole 8 (marked "35 yds") which skidded along the ground, bumped into the base of the pole, and came to a stop about 3 feet away... would this count as an ace?

Garrett

I don't think you're going to find the right answer here unless someone else who has played the course and knows the ruling happens to post. There's no standard rule for object targets like the posts you describe. It's entirely determined by local course ground rules.

Rule 802.05 B:

Object Targets: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must strike the marked target area on the object as specified by the director.

Ok thanks

I have played there and I played as is if it hit anywhere. At some angles hitting the metal sign would be very hard. Perhaps someone should put a line on the post signaling where you need to hit above. Or you know... put actual baskets in.

Thanks c_a - I just didn't know if there was a universally accepted rule. I agree, hitting the signs from the side would have been almost possible.

Local church camp has a nine hole course with 4x4 wood post with a wood target at a similar height.
We played it as the post counted (locally accepted).

Several targets were placed directly in front of trees larger than the target sign.
If you went past the tree you had no shot at the target at all.

Local church camp has a nine hole course with 4x4 wood post with a wood target at a similar height.
We played it as the post counted (locally accepted).

Several targets were placed directly in front of trees larger than the target sign.
If you went past the tree you had no shot at the target at all.

What would be the difference between that and your disc landing 15 feet from a basket that would totally obstructed by a tree???