• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pred Vs. Firebird

Furthur said:
Jesse B 707 said:
Furthur said:
adidadg said:
dflaschiii said:
I prefer Firebirds because they're readily available in cheap plastic, DX FBs break in very nicely for me, and a max weight Champ FB is very overstable and stays that way forever, so I know exactly what I'm getting from it (also best forehand roller disc I've ever tried).

The Pred isn't stable enough to replace my Champ FB and doesn't get glidey enough to compete with the DX FB.

I think thats the first time ive seen "Pred" and "isnt stable enough" in the same sentence :mrgreen:

Actually, the gripe would be is that it's too stable (instead of being overstable). Once a Z Pred breaks in, it flies pretty straight when thrown flat and hard before having a good fade. A lot of people want something that starts hyzering out of their hand.
and thats when you throw it with some hyzer

And that's the reason I throw a pred over a chicken.
good on ya

Frank_Delicious said:
Jesse B 707 said:
Frank_Delicious said:
love the way it flies but its also the worst feeling disc in the hand EVER

I am seriously the only person who doesn't seem to have a problem holding onto them. I understand I am in the minority here b/c there have been way more people who tell me they don't like it compared to people who tell me they do like it.

I think the spirits are great. Comfy for me. The only reason I don't throw them any more is that a guy wanted to give me big $$$ for the Nikes I had. So they went bye bye

Oh yeah, I throw firebirds. If I want straight with a fade I go TBizzle. Preds are real nice though. I like both

FB > Pred. I haven't thrown Preds too much, only a couple times. It flies like a broken in Firebird. I've held only 2 of them in my hands, one ESP, one Z. They're like gazillion times stiffer & harder than any other disc I've held in my hands, and that isn't a good thing for me. I don't like the bead either.

Frank_Delicious said:
Jesse B 707 said:
Frank_Delicious said:
love the way it flies but its also the worst feeling disc in the hand EVER

I am seriously the only person who doesn't seem to have a problem holding onto them. I understand I am in the minority here b/c there have been way more people who tell me they don't like it compared to people who tell me they do like it.

Initially it felt horrible but recuperating from an injury and the tissues getting used to the fingers being positioned differently and the muscles getting stronger I have no problems. Accustomization takes time. Easily months for a disc with this pronounced bottom sharpness.

Edit: I prefer the Pred over the FB for added distance and wind resistance.

ok. My tsunami just got kicked out of the bag when I added champ teebirds. I have been throwing the teebirds a lot on all kinds of different lines. now the champ firebird and predator are fighting for that bag spot. My question, if I'm carrying champ teebirds is the fb a better compliment or a predator? I use my overstable disc mostly for get out of trouble forehands and overhand shots. Firebirds for me are quite a bit more overstabe thrown backhand, they turn almost immediatly following my release, the preds fly just a tick more over-stable than a new champ teebird (I just don't know if this is going to be overstable enough for me).

I too have recently gone through the same trials as you TTDG and I have found the FB to be a better compliment to my TBs.

In all honesty I dont believe you can go wrong with either the FB or the Pred. I think what the best thing to do is try each of them and see which one works best for you.

I found the FB is just more comfortable in my hand and I just have a man crush on the 11x FBs so I went with them. The Pred is a grrreat disc just not as comfortable as the FB especially trasitioning from the TB.

masterbeato said:
preds are better as a fact

I would have to disagree with the "fact" statement on the basis that disc golf is very much a game of feel. Whats better for you may not be better for me. I think a current example would be the Boss. The Boss is crazy loooong and a great distance driver that a lot of people are falling in love with. For my distance drives I prefer the Wraith. Im sure youll find several people tell you one is "better" than the other for distance. My point to tat crappy example is that I just dont think you can say on a "factual" basis that one disc is better tha another because everyone has different throwing styles, different size hands, there are just so many different variables in the wonderful game of disc golf that I just have a hard time saying many things are a "fact" when associated with DG.

For me the FB just feels better in my hand and I can do anything with my FBs that I can do with the Preds. I think I have a pretty good idea what I am talking about after around 9 years throwing plastic.

I believe the only real difference between the Pred and FB other than the feel is the performance in a heavy headwind. I find that the Pred does handle a heavy head wind slightly better than the FB but I dont believe it to be by a significant amount. At least not enough for me to choose it over the FB.

I will say it again though I dont think you can go wrong with the FB or Pred just go with what performs better for your throwing style and what brings you the most confidence

Rant over :D

I would have to have Blake T. support me on this one because I'm not smart enough to tell why preds are better than firebirds or anything of the matter because I'm not a good debater what so ever.

As far as ratings go for what they both do preds are generally better because they have more glide, I know Blake would agree with me I just wish he would post more about stuff like this to defend me because I don't know how to explain anything very well and I end up getting ass rammed in a debate. Which is why I do not talk around people in person very much if at all, I'm a very quiet person. That and I sound like I am retarded when I talk so people can get a drift of my IQ. IQ is very LOW! fyi

I just run on common sense which makes people think I have a chance at life.

masterbeato said:
and you throw teebirds right? what;s the pred doing for you that a champ teebird can't?
In my field testing preds are earier to manage, go farther, are faster, great for overhand, more throwable backhand.
Firebirds are more of a meat hook, don't go as far, great for overhand, can handle more wind, grip is similar to the teebird.
I'm going to bring em both with me for a little while and see what happens. It's probably going to come down to which one I can throw a better thumber with. I really like them both and just can't decide.

Preds are longer while still being able to handle the same winds as Firebirds. A Pred can do everything a Firebird can but a Firebird can't do everything a Pred can.

Disc golf is a game where the fewest number of strokes win. You don't get points for "feel." I don't think anyone here has a problem with what other people throw. It's when people justify throwing inferior discs by claiming they're better that the misinformation gets questioned. I know all the discs I throw aren't the objectively best discs, and that's fine with me. I won't try to claim they're better just because I throw them, though.

TeamTollandDG said:
masterbeato said:
and you throw teebirds right? what;s the pred doing for you that a champ teebird can't?
In my field testing preds are earier to manage, go farther, are faster, great for overhand, more throwable backhand.
Firebirds are more of a meat hook, don't go as far, great for overhand, can handle more wind, grip is similar to the teebird.
I'm going to bring em both with me for a little while and see what happens. It's probably going to come down to which one I can throw a better thumber with. I really like them both and just can't decide.

Preds are more stable and they accelerate when they fade, teebirds do not hence why they do not skip as much as a pred does.

Teebirds are slower.

They are significantly differential enough to have them both in my bag.

I agree that you do not get points for "feel" but for my game the FB takes more strokes off my score than my Pred does. So that is why I vote for the FB.

I have never bashed the Pred and as a matter of fact I do occasionally cycle the Pred in my bag because it is longer than the FB and really is a sweet disc, but I just like 11x FBs better.

Then again I really only throw Backhand so I have no opinion on which is better for overhand shots.

Normally I throw Z but in the winter I am throwing FLX right now. I don't know if I got a different run of FLX Preds than I previously had, but this one is flying like a nice beat Z. My previous one that I had was the most stable disc I have ever thrown in my life, but this one is perfect for the winter.

garublador said:
A Pred can do everything a Firebird can but a Firebird can't do everything a Pred can.
I was just about to write this but i see you beat me to it, its like the old Eagle X vs Teebird argument