• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pure Hyzer Productions - Legit Final Round Coverage Videos!

I was planning to, but I guess there are media rights factors with NTs and Majors now, and I believe Terry Miller has exclusive rights to media coverage so no other camera crews will be allowed... on the MPO lead card anyway.

With his whispering next to the players while they play and his "what's your favorite sandwich" questions. I'll take PHP every time.

I vote for you doing FPO lead card if you can't do lead MPO.

Thanks for the feedback here guys.

Everyone has different likes and dislikes and I realized a long time ago I can't please everyone with the volunteer efforts I've been putting out for more than 5 years now when it comes to video coverage.

However, I feel it is worth me noting 2 things here:

1) I do commentary live and on the scene because I am looking to produce the video with as quick of a turn around as possible. If you want a video in the morning and you want commentary from a top pro from the previous day's play it's not really practical for me to get them to do it at 2AM when I'm done editing the footage. Most of my videos are about timeliness because I'm at a big event and trying to get it posted immediately. Many also like that I do commentary 'in the moment' because many others comment or leak hints when they do their commentary in post which might affect your viewing enjoyment.

2) I only ask those questions because someone suggested that a simple introduction of name and sponsor and PDGA was 'boring'. By asking things like, "What's your favorite zoo animal" or "Tell us your favorite frozen treat" at least gives the players and the viewers a chance to see some of the player's personality off the course. Most of the time they can be somewhat humorous which I appreciate but maybe the viewers don't? I guess I'm shocked to hear that coverage is so serious that there isn't time for a 30 second question to the players.

Thanks for the insights and feedback!

With his whispering next to the players while they play and his "what's your favorite sandwich" questions. I'll take PHP every time.

I vote for you doing FPO lead card if you can't do lead MPO.

DG Guy, I really like the 'out of the box' questions - it makes the players seem more personal, which is an important aspect of this game.

We all know Paul's affinity for pink Destroyers, for example, but not what topping he likes on his pizza.

I like the varied styles of the video producers. The silence of McFly, the casual banter of CCDG, Terry's whispering & hard work, and especially PHP bringing out the fun side of Locastro. Hell, I even like the soto voice commentary in Finnish ...

I was planning to, but I guess there are media rights factors with NTs and Majors now, and I believe Terry Miller has exclusive rights to media coverage so no other camera crews will be allowed... on the MPO lead card anyway.

Sad to hear about new restrictions, Paavo. I wonder how those arose. You will of course have way more fun shooting other divisions where the players aren't so tightly wound.

I think constricting the flow of videos is unfortunate for online viewers but perhaps it will create a broader range of coverage and less overlap.

Joe

I'd still watch chase card coverage with commentary at a tournament like this.

Well I might as well pipe in.

We'll (CCDG) be covering the chase card, and either the 3rd card, or Masters lead card with next day vids (for at least one card). Commentary if we have time. McFly is filming FPO.

Thanks for the feedback here guys.

Everyone has different likes and dislikes and I realized a long time ago I can't please everyone with the volunteer efforts I've been putting out for more than 5 years now when it comes to video coverage.

However, I feel it is worth me noting 2 things here:

1) I do commentary live and on the scene because I am looking to produce the video with as quick of a turn around as possible. If you want a video in the morning and you want commentary from a top pro from the previous day's play it's not really practical for me to get them to do it at 2AM when I'm done editing the footage. Most of my videos are about timeliness because I'm at a big event and trying to get it posted immediately. Many also like that I do commentary 'in the moment' because many others comment or leak hints when they do their commentary in post which might affect your viewing enjoyment.

2) I only ask those questions because someone suggested that a simple introduction of name and sponsor and PDGA was 'boring'. By asking things like, "What's your favorite zoo animal" or "Tell us your favorite frozen treat" at least gives the players and the viewers a chance to see some of the player's personality off the course. Most of the time they can be somewhat humorous which I appreciate but maybe the viewers don't? I guess I'm shocked to hear that coverage is so serious that there isn't time for a 30 second question to the players.

Thanks for the insights and feedback!

So first you take PHP's MPO card and now highjack their thread!?

I'm completely joking. And I hear you on #1, I just personally prefer the other style. Not sure what to tell you on #2. It's not that it has to be 100% serious, but the questions are overly goofy IMO. I'd dig them if they were at least somewhat DG related

Ironically enough - I debated if I should chime in. Heck, I rarely have time to check out DGCR forums and someone else pointed me to this conversation piece and when I was brought up, I figured at that point it was appropriate I at least chime in.

The long and short of what this conversation and dozens of others will come down to is the age old saying of, "different strokes for different folks".

I cannot name another professionally broadcast sport out there that has zero commentary so to me, it's weird not having any. If you have music but no commentary you then run the risk of making people mad at the music choice.

You then have to decide if you like "live" commentary for any given reason or if you like "post" commentary. Again, another split.

As for the questions, I want them to be anything NON-DG related just for the sake of keeping it light. Ken Climo was in fact one of the first suggestions while in Florida this year and he suggested everyone name their "favorite frozen treat". Keeping them unique or odd is my main goal there. "Favorite fairway driver?" - Meh, there are in the bag segments for that stuff.

Paavo does great work as do so many others and if some policies come into place where coverage is spread to various divisions and cards that only benefits disc golf and the fans. 4 crews on a single hole seems silly regardless of what group I'm covering or not.

Thanks again!

So first you take PHP's MPO card and now highjack their thread!?

I'm completely joking. And I hear you on #1, I just personally prefer the other style. Not sure what to tell you on #2. It's not that it has to be 100% serious, but the questions are overly goofy IMO. I'd dig them if they were at least somewhat DG related

As for the questions, I want them to be anything NON-DG related just for the sake of keeping it light. Ken Climo was in fact one of the first suggestions while in Florida this year and he suggested everyone name their "favorite frozen treat". Keeping them unique or odd is my main goal there. "Favorite fairway driver?" - Meh, there are in the bag segments for that stuff.

Seriously, your next question should be "what's your favorite pizza topping besides pepperoni?"

- end thread hijack

I'd like to just say a few simple things in response to all this drama and then hopefully get this thread back on track... I'd like for it to be a repository for all my PHP videos and discussions related to my channel. If people would like to discuss the pros and cons of different disc golf media outlets that's cool with me, but perhaps it all belongs in a new thread!

With that out of the way, let me try to clarify a few things here:

It's not Terry's fault that there are new media regulations being put in place by the PDGA for Majors and NTs, so please don't think that he is personally "boxing me out" of being able to film the lead card in any way. And for the record, I support these new regulations being put in place! As much as I'd like to just be able to cover any tournament I want, I recognize that disc golf has grown immensely in popularity within the last few years and something had to be done to prevent 7 camera people from showing up and just assuming they could film the MPO lead card at a huge event. They would all be getting in each other's way (either accidentally or purposefully) and be a distraction to the players. There wasn't a need for these regulations as recently as a few years ago, but just look at how many people were covering the open lead card at the memorial this year. I support the PDGA's decision to put media regulations in place for Majors and NTs. It's an inevitable side effect of the growth of disc golf, which is ultimately a very positive thing for everyone involved - players, manufacturers, and us video guys!

As for the criticism of Terry's videos, I'd like to point one simple thing out: He gets videos up FAST, just like McFly. Guys like Terry and McFly can cover the lead card for several consecutive days at an event and get the videos up extremely quickly. The tradeoff with quick turnaround times like this is that production quality like that of PHP simply can't be expected.

If I filmed three rounds at the same tournament and edited them all PHP style it would literally take a month and a half before the final round would even be posted, since it usually takes me about 2 weeks to put together PHP coverage for a single round. That's a huge negative in many people's eyes, and I'm well aware that I made the decision to put PHP on the opposite end of this spectrum from channels like Terry's and McFly's. I really do appreciate how much my fans notice the quality of PHP, but just realize that there's no way to achieve this kind of quality and still get coverage up within 24-48 hours.

This is the primary reason why I mainly only cover the final round at tournaments I film - because if I film more than one round it takes way too long for me to even get to editing the final round! Even if I can some day dedicate myself to PHP full time, I don't see how I could get my turnaround time per round to be any faster than 1 week, so we'd still be talking about a 3-4 week delay for final round coverage of longer tournaments if I covered every round. Especially with huge tournaments like NTs and Majors, a lot of people want to see the coverage as soon as possible, which is something that guys like Terry and McFly really excel at, and if I tried to post videos within 24-48 hours my production value would be no better than either of theirs.

I'm never in a hurry to watch coverage myself; I'd rather wait longer and watch a quality production, and I'm guessing my PHP fan base feels the same way, which is great. My personal favorite DG channels to watch are SpinTV and Disc Golf Monthly, and they take the same approach - slow turnaround times but high quality production value. I'm glad there's a demand for our end of the spectrum, but being able to turn around videos as quickly as Terry or McFly is something I'll never be able to do unless I make big quality sacrifices, and there's a huge demand for their end of the spectrum as well. As Terry said, "different strokes for different folks", that's all it is!

So it seems like all the good cards are already claimed at Master's Cup - MPO lead and chase, FPO lead, Masters lead... but it's all good. Pure Hyzer Productions is still the new kid on the block. With these new media regulations I may be able to build exposure throughout 2015 and then try to secure exclusive rights to cover the MPO lead card at some Majors and NTs next year, who knows. Ultimately the media regulation is a good thing. It's the right thing for the sport, and it's the right thing in respect to the players so they don't have to feel distracted by a bazillion camera people all over the place, and it will also lead to less redundant coverage with more cards being covered.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely disappointed that I won't be covering anything at Masters Cup this year as I was hoping to, but I still have to voice my support for these media regulations.

On an unrelated note, I just teamed up with Ben Baker from CCDG this past weekend to film the final round as well as the final 9 at Daisy Chains, a women's only tournament at Pinto Lake in Watsonville. We are sharing source files with each other so you can expect multi-cam coverage of this event from both PHP and CCDG in the future! The players in the videos will be Paige Pierce, Ohn Scoggins, Valerie Jenkins, and Jessica Weese. Should make for a good couple of PHP episodes!!! :-D

Like you said... You are producing these videos in a different way than Terry and Mcfly. So I think there is room for you to film the same card as one of them. If people want to watch the event the next day with that style of production then they have that option. Then 3 weeks down the road watch the tournament with the all of editing and post commentary (like you and CCDG do). I personally would watch both.

As an avid YouTube disc golf viewer for the last 4-5 years, I just want to say that I appreciate both the McFly/DiscGolfGuy and the CCDG/PHP styles (with Jomez maybe being somewhere in the middle?), and that I am utterly stoked with the volume and quality of coverage that we have now compared to even 2-3 years ago.

It is AWESOME, and I hope all of you producers keep at it, and know in your heart of hearts that you are bringing a lot of enjoyment to disc aficionados around the world.

Thanks to all for getting the videos done. For huge events that avid disc golf fans follow (NT/Majors), the fast turnaround time is paramount because fans are already following the event and know who wins anyway. For smaller events (like the last PHP video) I definitely appreciate the production quality and end up watching an event that I may not otherwise have watched or followed.

Either way, I watch them all and big thanks to all who put in the time to give us the coverage that continues to improve each year.

On an unrelated note, I just teamed up with Ben Baker from CCDG this past weekend to film the final round as well as the final 9 at Daisy Chains, a women's only tournament at Pinto Lake in Watsonville. We are sharing source files with each other so you can expect multi-cam coverage of this event from both PHP and CCDG in the future! The players in the videos will be Paige Pierce, Ohn Scoggins, Valerie Jenkins, and Jessica Weese. Should make for a good couple of PHP episodes!!! :-D

Paavo,

We met last Sunday, when I was following the lead card. I look forward to seeing your video of the Daisy Chains, especially the final 9, which I didn't get a chance to see. Keep up the great work :clap:

Andy

I love watching your videos and I have actually been part of a few holes on a couple of events (well, in the background of the pro card while they putt, but still). Having someone out there to video the local guys playing and then being able to post it for people to watch is what the "average Joe" like myself love to do in their spare time. I think you need to keep doing what you do. I have seen every video that Pure Hyzer has posted and love watching them over and over. If there is a tournament that is coming up at a place that PHP has covered, I watch to see what the pros line is and attempt to recreate it when I play the same hole.

Keep up the good work and look forward to more in the future.

BTW: Love the coverage at the Easter Tournament at Browns and Bows....even in the rain.

Thanks to everyone for both the positive feedback and support above, I really appreciate it!

PHP #10a - Daisy Chains, 2015 - Round 3 (Pierce, Scoggins, Jenkins, Weese)

http://YouTube/PureHyzerProductions | http://facebook.com/PureHyzerProductions

Final 9: Coming Soon!

Sponsors:

Axiom: http://www.axiomdiscs.com
Cali Connection: http://caliconnectiondg.com
Fly Life: http://flylifediscgolf.com

Round 3, Lead Card coverage from Daisy Chains in Watsonville, Ca on May 10th, 2015.

FPO Players: Paige Pierce, Ohn Scoggins, Valarie Jenkins, Jessica Weese

Course:

Pinto Lake DGC: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3107