• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putt for D'oh Move to Minimalist... ish

Putt for D'oh

Double Eagle Member
So I'm getting closer and closer to my distance goals and I really want to work on some consistency and I've been throwing one of my Teebirds on the long holes just to get a feeling of what I can reach. As so many on our home courses I know i'm not alone on mine, we have favorite discs we often default to, but also that one disc that is in the bag for that one hole... or 5 discs that only ever get thrown on that series of holes. I wanted to get away from that some, part of me is also wondering about purging all of these different discs for those differences in flight and start cycling but also a bit unsure where to start with some of that.

SO... to start this process I've taken my bag from ~18 discs down to 7. 7 is the number because my little purse style bag holds 6 plus a putter, and the shots it covers. I think what i'm looking for in this thread is maybe some advice on the process of cycling single molds and maybe a suggestion on a disc or two and thoughts on different plastics.

New bag and how the discs are used.

• 174-175g Glow Wizard - main putter I have 5 and try my best to keep them in equal states of wear.
  • 174g Medium BT Harp - Main approach disc and headwind putter, also used for longer deathputtish putts as it seems to have less tendancy to roll away than the Wizards... but found out today it can still give me grief. I got this disc recently to have something a little shorter an more OS than my Envy. I tried a Scale and it wasn't OS enough and the rim is just too deep. Fell in love with this disc and it basically replaced my Envy on a bunch of shots. I also started using an Anchor on holes I drove the Envy. Somehow one of my favorite discs stopped getting used, and basically the Proxy with it as I started driving with my Truth where I would have normally used the Proxy, I just seem to get cleaner releases.
  • 180g Opto Sparkle Compass - Love this disc, it is basically a speed 5 Teebird, and is my choice for ~280-~340' drive that fade is a good thing. It seems to be beating in slower than the Emac Truth I have and has continued to handle a decent amount of wind ok. I've been able to really lay into this disc and stays super stable, doesn't really flip up from a Hyzer release. I've played a few single disc rounds with it and it worked great for that, not the same amount of glide as some of the "stable" trilogy mids that really get US with a small amount of wear, but still a very long mid.
  • 178g Lucid Truth - is Stable to US and works for finishing straight or right out to maybe 320'.
  • 175g Star Teebird - When I started this bag I kept this because I wanted to keep throwing it because I would like to beat a bit more stability out of it. Turns out I threw it more than I expected since I took the OS mids out of my bag I threw this with more Hyzer. I still wish this was beat up a bit more. I have an old Star TL that may be what I want, but this goes a bit to the idea of cycling a mold instead of different discs... though TL and Teebird aren't really much different. I wonder about getting a new Icon Rival as the one I lost a year ago flew like I would like this to. I also wonder about River Pro and Spark and my experience with Trilogy plastics is they lose stability much much quicker than what i've thrown with the few other manufacturers I've tried so maybe either of those discs get to the mid point i'm looking for quicker? I do prefer the feeling of Opto and Biofuzion to Star as will
  • 176g MF Champ Teebird - has kept its stability great and part of the reason I have reduced my bag is using this disc as my main headwind driver. I'm getting pin high even in headwinds on a 385' hole (maybe a slight elevation drop pad to Tee so distance is a bit ???) but I feel comfortable with this disc doing anything I want and taking as much power as I can put into it, and it seems to be one of the best discs I have for getting me to throw with clean form.
  • 174g Recycled River - Beat up Hyzerflip/turnover disc. I really only throw it now on a hi Hyzer line if there is no wind... slight headwind and I'm OB and a couple of steep uphill tailwind shots this thing shines on... not quite as shiny as the Saint but I can control the River a bit better and part of what I wanted in this bag is a max of Speed 7 discs.
So that's it. What got removed?
Second Wizard I carried 2 or 3 for putting practice and just to have
175g Plasma Envy and S Neutron Proxy
180g Z Drone
178g Opto Sparkle Anchor
180g Lucid Sparkle EmacTruth
175g Lucid Sparkle Convict
174g Lucid Sparkle Felon
171g Opto Saint Pro (flies more like a Falchion off the shelf, lots of turn good amount of fade)
176g Recycled Saint
174g Lucid Trespass
174g Lucid Sheriff

I thought at one point about Cycling Emac Truths but honestly I don't think they start stable enough and develop too much HS turn too quickly. I could see the Compass but I think a Verdict or Anchor would be a better idea... just wonder if they do actually lose stability like some of the other "stable discs" Verdict does feel similar to the compass in the hand, the Bead on the Anchor doesn't bother me but is different than any other disc I have.
Biofuzion on some? My experience so far is that Recycled/Biofuzion starts off more OS but beats in further/faster thoughts?

Latest posts