• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter weight 175g vs 150g

Obviously, but some of us are actually interested in the physics behind why some discs behave differently than others...

No one is more interested than me - I think it's one of the shortcuts to unlocking low scores in this game. You know when one of the top pros sites a shot, there are dozens of calculations going on in their head regarding physics.

I just lack patience sometimes.

IMHO, the "advantages" of heavy plastic (170+ gr) plastic vs. light (150- gr) is often more in the mind of the thrower than anything else. In fact, if heavier discs than 150 gr had never been produced, this whole concept would be moot. And I offer as evidence, the 1993 Bud Light Wintertime Open at Oak Grove park. This was an "A" Tier event that year (the first year of the 150 Class). A two day tourney with many top players attending. But. They could only use 150 Class discs. The players were all supplied with said plastic (drivers and putters) in the players pack. The gnashing of teeth and the rending of cloth was loud and widespread. How can we use these? Many proclaimed. A joke! Others said. Predictions of disaster were many. Yet. After two days of play, the winning Open score was a whopping 1 stroke different from the winning Open score from the prior year. ONE STROKE. It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian. And lighter plastic has the advantage of being easier on your arm and shoulder (reducing stress and injury) and has certainly already extended many playing careers. :popcorn:

light weight putters are no fun in the wind, but they hold a nice line with less power/speed than heavier putters. so you can give that longer put a chance with more control. much past 30 ft starts to get difficult for me, and i have to start playing more loft and heizer. which means there is alot more chance to miss both left to right as well as elevation. a lighter putter enables me to keep the disc in line for a little longer without trying to throw any harder. i also use my light weight putter for shorter 50-150 approaches that i want a nice, slow and controlled shot. since i started to carry the light putter, i find metal more on these shorter approaches. how ever, most putting is done with my 170. better feel, fights wind better, and doesnt get the wobbles as easily.