• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting form drills

Go to 1:30. All you need is a little finger pop.

I would be careful with this. In my experience (and mentioned in Dave feldberg putting clinics) you get more reliable spin when using larger levers (ie wrist pop)

Any spinning motion we do, be it spin putt or push putt involves a spinning motion clockwise on the disc. This clockwise spinning motion is a "left to right" torque on the disc. Because of that for right handed players the miss tends to be to the right and it's a constant effort to mitigate missing right.

In my personal experience with finger pop, what tends to happen is you will keep the disc on line, bring the hand up to release and "shake hands with the basket" and right at the end the fingers will fire, which creates this left to right motion on the disc and will pull the disc right.

Here is an example from last year. 20 foot airball despite "shaking hands with the basket"

I'd say it's near impossible to push putt without a finger pop. Look at Heimburg (more of a spusher but anyway) Ricky etc. Would love to see an example of a push putt without some kind of pop. It's just a question of timing and smoothness in the pop. Without it, the disc would just flutter.

I would be careful with this. In my experience (and mentioned in Dave feldberg putting clinics) you get more reliable spin when using larger levers (ie wrist pop)

Any spinning motion we do, be it spin putt or push putt involves a spinning motion clockwise on the disc. This clockwise spinning motion is a "left to right" torque on the disc. Because of that for right handed players the miss tends to be to the right and it's a constant effort to mitigate missing right.

In my personal experience with finger pop, what tends to happen is you will keep the disc on line, bring the hand up to release and "shake hands with the basket" and right at the end the fingers will fire, which creates this left to right motion on the disc and will pull the disc right.

Here is an example from last year. 20 foot airball despite "shaking hands with the basket"

I think the finger pop is something you really need to get the feel for to work well. I think all good putters have some degree of finger pop in their putt. Gannon and Calvin are the extreme versions with very short follow throughs and a lot of finger pop. Most others have less finger pop with a longer follow through.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I'd say it's near impossible to push putt without a finger pop. Look at Heimburg (more of a spusher but anyway) Ricky etc. Would love to see an example of a push putt without some kind of pop. It's just a question of timing and smoothness in the pop. Without it, the disc would just flutter.

This is correct. When you grip the disc your fingers have some bend under the flight plate. When you release they are mostly extended pointing at the basket. So they do extend on the way out and generate some spin by brushing underneath the disc. That being said almost every push putter uses some amount of wrist movement. Feldberg talks about this in his clinics about how you need to have the thumb pointed at the 9 or 10'o clock position which allows you to use the opening of the hand to give it some spin.

What I don't like is the way gannon demonstrates finger pop (timestamped link):
https://youtu.be/Edw9Jgm8LXo?t=136

If you look at his demonstration, what he is doing is extending his fingers (good), while using his thumb as a pivot point. You can see the fingers extend out while the thumb goes back towards him. I think this is a huge no no. Imagine you are keeping everything in line to the target and right as you are about to release, you are extending your fingers while pivoting off your thumb. Where do you think the disc will go? Ask me how I spent months learning the hard way ... lol

Where do you think the disc will go?

I think it'll smash in the chains just like I've become used to seeing Gannon putt. After all two of the current best putters on the planet says the same thing, pop the fingers. Regarding the thumb thing I don't think that's something he actually does, just that it's hard not to do it while showing the finger movement and holding the disc. My thumb does something similar if I try to do it now and I don't do it while I putt.

I think it'll smash in the chains just like I've become used to seeing Gannon putt. After all two of the current best putters on the planet says the same thing, pop the fingers. Regarding the thumb thing I don't think that's something he actually does, just that it's hard not to do it while showing the finger movement and holding the disc. My thumb does something similar if I try to do it now and I don't do it while I putt.

To be clear … you should 100% extend the fingers (pop the fingers) on your putt. Mike Strauss talks about this, pros talk about this. What I want to emphasize is not to use the pivot between the thumb and fingers right at the very end (which you pointed out is just the way how he demonstrates- fair but can be misleading to a lot of people), that would cause it to airball right.