• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting has went to crap

SamD

Yeah, this is my first post and it's a cry for help. I'm registered in the GBO and I can't put for nothing. I have tried so many grips and I can't seem to get it... My puts wobble, are weak, and just flat out embarrassing. What's some grips or techniques that can improve accuracy and power?

Sounds like you're overthinking it. Spend 30 minutes a day putting and it will be committed to muscle memory in no time.

Watch the Feldberg clinics in the Instructional Videos thread. He talks about having a "hit" at the end of the putt just like any other throw. You're arm speed may be too fast for your hit, so it wobbles out of the hand. Think about a forehand with all arm and no wrist snap that flutters out of the hand.

Try adding more finger spring/wrist snap to the end of your putt or start your putting motion slower and accelerate more at the end of the throw. I had similar issues, both suggestions above helped but I'm more consistent by focusing on the finger spring and small wrist snap at the end.

Check out Ken Climbo's Tips. He's a fan of the hyzer putt but even if you're more of a straight-in kinda guy he has good information on stance, form, wind, and practice routines under the "How To" section.

Confidence is key with putting.
I've played against guys who flick putt, turbo putt or putt with mids... they've all smashed chains with regularity.

When I am going through a putting rut, I start very small. Grab a couple putters and stand five or six feet away from the basket. Start smashing chains from this distance and then start taking a couple steps back. Before long you will be hitting putts comfortably within 10-15 ft and giving yourself a much better shot at those putts on the edge of the circle.

I promise, it'll feel silly starting off so short but I've used this method to quickly get back in the swing prior to rounds.

Latest posts