• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pylam dyes in Europe

kyleinczech

I'm based in CZ and trying to get my hands on some Pylam dyes. I've found a couple Scandinavian online stores that are repackaging it, but at a pretty steep premium. Getting it from the US looks tough so I wanted to ask before I move forward:

1. Anyone selling? Is there anyone here in Europe that has a ton of it that would be interested in shipping me some?

2. What dye to ask for? I'm in contact with Pylam for samples just to give them a try, but as some people here have pointed out, it seems they don't realize that their products are used for disc dyeing and are asking me for the specific dye I'm looking for. Can anyone give me that info so I can be sure they send the right samples over the pond?

3. What colors should I be looking for? I've got limited access to iDye Poly here, so I at least have something. I've read that fluorescent yellow, red and bright green are where they really outperform other brands. Any other colors I should make a point to add to my collection?

I've tried to read all the DGCR discussions about it, but some straight answers would help a lot.

Thanks!

3. What colors should I be looking for? I've got limited access to iDye Poly here, so I at least have something. I've read that fluorescent yellow, red and bright green are where they really outperform other brands. Any other colors I should make a point to add to my collection?

This is spot on. Those are the 2 Pylam dyes I use the most. Fluorescent Yellow,and Bright Green.

Bright green is by far the best green I've used.
Fl Yellow is just super cool - now your disc glows in UV! Which also makes them crazy bright in the sun.

You can also look into a company called ProChem - that's where my "bright red" is from, and that is maybe my fave dye that I have. It's a really hot red, almost pink, but not quite.
Prochem also has sample packs, and the samples are pretty big. Their Fuchsia is also nice, and I use the "Flame Scarlet" alot too - it's basically bright red mixed with orange.

now your disc glows in UV! Which also makes them crazy bright in the sun.

I know what you mean, but just being nitpicky, you can't really see UV. They are "glowing" in the visible spectrum. Fluorescence is what happens when UV is absorbed and causes the dye to emit visible light. The dye sort of "converts" UV to visible light.

2. What dye to ask for? I'm in contact with Pylam for samples just to give them a try, but as some people here have pointed out, it seems they don't realize that their products are used for disc dyeing and are asking me for the specific dye I'm looking for. Can anyone give me that info so I can be sure they send the right samples over the pond?
Thanks!

I hope you have better luck with getting samples than I did. I went down that road with PYLAM a couple of years ago and had no luck getting any free samples they did however send me a PDF with pricing for disc dye with part numbers. Super expensive and they require a minimum order of $100 which is outrageous on top of the $12 to $15 per ounce. They are really proud of their dye. I got the impression that they didn't want to bother with disc dying and would rather stick to bulk sales. Anyway here is a picture of the PDF that they sent me hope this helps you out and let us know if you are successful in getting some free samples as I would still like to try out their dye especially the Bright Green!
picture.php

I know what you mean, but just being nitpicky, you can't really see UV. They are "glowing" in the visible spectrum. Fluorescence is what happens when UV is absorbed and causes the dye to emit visible light. The dye sort of "converts" UV to visible light.

Lol, yes. In UV light (i.e. sunlight), they glow, i.e. emit visible light. Thus what I said was correct.

I hope you have better luck with getting samples than I did. I went down that road with PYLAM a couple of years ago and had no luck getting any free samples they did however send me a PDF with pricing for disc dye with part numbers. Super expensive and they require a minimum order of $100 which is outrageous on top of the $12 to $15 per ounce. They are really proud of their dye. I got the impression that they didn't want to bother with disc dying and would rather stick to bulk sales. Anyway here is a picture of the PDF that they sent me hope this helps you out and let us know if you are successful in getting some free samples as I would still like to try out their dye especially the Bright Green!

That's interesting. I am trying to remember who it was, but someone on here from Milwaukee area bought some and sold it to other people on this forum. That's how I got my green and yellow.

But prochem has sample packs. This is 6 colors for $16. And looks like they sell each color in as little as 2oz, for $5-$10 depending on color:

https://prochemicalanddye.net/all-d...ngeo-dyes/prosperse-disperse-dye-sampler.html

That sample pack has bright red, but not flame scarlet.

That's interesting. I am trying to remember who it was, but someone on here from Milwaukee area bought some and sold it to other people on this forum. That's how I got my green and yellow.

But prochem has sample packs. This is 6 colors for $16. And looks like they sell each color in as little as 2oz, for $5-$10 depending on color:

https://prochemicalanddye.net/all-d...ngeo-dyes/prosperse-disperse-dye-sampler.html

That sample pack has bright red, but not flame scarlet.

Yeah I got a ProChem sample pack and I really like it and it was enough to dye several discs and it was affordable. The Pylam $100 minimum is the kicker unless you are buying for several people and splitting the dye and the cost.

Yeah I got a ProChem sample pack and I really like it and it was enough to dye several discs and it was affordable. The Pylam $100 minimum is the kicker unless you are buying for several people and splitting the dye and the cost.

ProChem certainly seems like they play more "friendly" with the likes of us dyers. I'd consider giving them a shot. I noticed that the sample pack comes with what they call "PRO Dye Carrier NSC". Can anyone tell me more about that? Is this like the color enhancer in iDye Poly that you're better off throwing away?