• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions regaurding discs and weights

TheUberDork

I am a beginner and noticed everybody knows the weights of their discs. I have a few discs i can't find the weight on and was wondering if anybody could help show me how to find the weight. I know on the innova starter pack I have the weights were written on the bottoms.

Also are their any discs you would recomend. Here is a list of what I have...

Champion Leopard (can't find weight)
DX Leopard 150g
Elite X Wildcat (can't find weight)
DX Shark 150 class 149g
DX Aviar Putt & Approach 159g
Elite X Challenger (no weight)
Rubber Putter 174g

On the way I have ...
DX Firebird 167g
DX Roc 175g
DX Stingray 172g
DX Hydra 175g

Any Suggestions... Im open to all suggestions, tips, pointers, and feedback.
Thanks

Well, how much range do you have with your drives? Looks like your longest disc is the wildcat. How far can you throw that? I'd recommend a heavier midrange such as a buzz. Your 149 shark is probably not very good in the wind. The roc should be OK for that.

the roc when new will be a good weight/mold for wind, but once worn wont be to helpful. The weights on discraft discs in the X plastic are stickers so if they werent there I dont know how to tell the weight (other than a good sensitive hanging scale)

I think you should mostly work with the DX lepord for your backhand. Once you can turn it (right throwing rhbh) throwing with just a little hyzer, put alittle bit more hyzer on it and really learn the disc. I origionally threw sidearm, but when I learned my backhand I worked in about this order 150 Lepord, 172 Lepord, 165 Tee Bird, then a 167 Eagle. All these were in DX plastic. (of course i threw other discs between, Crushes, orcs, Champ tee bird, pro firebird, however all to no sucess compared to the DX eagle or teebird)
(I cant tell you to stay away from champ/z completely but its good to learn control with standard plastic)

From there, I bet you could give that wildcat an aswome huck (I would say you probably could throw it pretty well after learning the Lepord)

throwing sidearm although an overstable disc is easier to throw, especially accurately, if you learn to throw a DX teebird or another neutral driver well, you will develop a much better sidearm than if you just learn to huck overstable discs.

Good luck with the hydra... They fly like long understable putters with more fade than a putter... Ive seen some throw aswome w/ them, but I never could. wizards/bangers, or a challenger like yours seem to be much more suitable for the kind line the hydra takes.

Find someone that can weigh them for you; I go to my local pet store to verify weights. Many discs that are marked 167 for me actually weigh in at 165.

If you're just beginning, hold of on the firebird for now.

Thanks, All really good information. I am throwing the DX Leopard around 200 feet now. Only been playing around 2 months and half of that has been weather i can't get out on the course in.

As for the firebird i read the review and dont plan on throwing it soon. The discs came in a lot on ebay and that was in there.
Mark

If your mom, wife, gf, grandma whatever has a scale in the kitchen you could use that to way your disc's.

So I got my discs in the mail today and went out and played for a while. The course was empty so I parked myself on hole 2 and practiced there. It is a 260 Ft straight hole with a few trees on each side. I tried some of the suggestions you guy gave me and things i read on the site.

I threw 6 discs about 20 times each. Half with the x-step, half without. Here is what i noticed with each disc.

Roc (175) - with the x-step i was throwing about 200 ft with a hard left fade at the end. Standing and throwing i was throwing 200 ft mostly straight with very little fade.
Shark (149) - flew the same as the Roc usually landing 2-3 feet behind it.
Leopard (150) - with the x-step was throwing around 175 - 200 ft with decent amount of fade. Stand and throw i got 200 - 250 ft straight with very little fade.
Dragon (150) - with the X-step i tended to throw this disc way to high and it would fade off hard and fall short at about 100ft. A few throws i got it to flaten out just before hitting a tree. stand and throw i was throwing hard s curves around 200 - 250 feet twice landing right under the basket.
Hydra (175) - with x-step threw around 175 ft. with medium fade. Stand and throw 175ft in the air straight with a skip on impact to put me around 200 ft.
Aviar P&A (159) - Same as Hydra

I was much more accurate while doing a stand and throw and usually got a little more distance and straighter flights than when i x-steped. This is only about the 5th time i've played so i know i have got to be butchering the x-step and form all together the feel between x-step and standing and throwing with the dragon and the leopard was the same. It felt like the same release and the flight started out the same. I was just wondering if anybody can give me any tips on how to disect your x-step and correct it? While doing it it is hard to know where your messing up or what is going wrong. The people i usually play with are all starting out and having mostly the same problems i am so i can't really get one of them to watch me and tell me where i am going wrong. any thoughts?

Latest posts