• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Quick Coat Worm Dye Purple

DGJW

Hey guys,

I am really new to this forum and to disc dyeing, and this is my first comment here in the forum. I tried to find an answer in the forum and elsewhere but couldn't find it, so here we go.

I was wondering if I could achieve Purple Worm Dye by mixing Chartreuse and Blue (both UV BLAST)? Purple is only available as Lure Dye, which I read would not work with discs (what's the difference between Quick Coat Wormd Dye and Lure Dye?!).

Could an alternative be to use idye poly in purple and then go over that with clear UV blast QC Worm Dye?

Finally, I read a lot about shaving cream dyes and all that, but what's the best method to dye a disc in a solid color with a few lines taped up (e.g. electrical tape) and then fill in those lines with a second color?

Thanks for your tipps and advice!

Pretty sure chartreuse and blue aren't going to make purple. You'd need blue and red.

That's all I've got for you. Good luck.

I know I know.... that was a brain fart....
Chartreuse was on my mind because that's the color I want to contrast the purple with.

Any other helpful suggestions? Does it work to mix blue and red to get a purple with these dyes or would that just turn into some yucky whatever?

Other thoughts on my other questions?

Hey guys,

I am really new to this forum and to disc dyeing, and this is my first comment here in the forum. I tried to find an answer in the forum and elsewhere but couldn't find it, so here we go.

I was wondering if I could achieve Purple Worm Dye by mixing Chartreuse and Blue (both UV BLAST)? Purple is only available as Lure Dye, which I read would not work with discs (what's the difference between Quick Coat Wormd Dye and Lure Dye?!).

If you meant red and blue, yes, that will work. Dyes all follow the same pigment color mixing rules. Red and blue will get you purple.

Could an alternative be to use idye poly in purple and then go over that with clear UV blast QC Worm Dye?

If all you are going for is purple / UV blast, yeah, that will work too. Be aware that purple idye is going to get alot darker than any worm dips. At max color violet idye will be nearly black, so don't leave it on too long or go too hot (depending on your methods).

Finally, I read a lot about shaving cream dyes and all that, but what's the best method to dye a disc in a solid color with a few lines taped up (e.g. electrical tape) and then fill in those lines with a second color?

"Best" method would be to use 2 masks of clear Orcal 651 vinyl. Cut out the stripes, dye them, then re-mask and cut out the other areas (cutting on the disc), dye those some other color. By "dye" I mean just a regular hot dip in dye/water mix. I use a full idye packet in one large mason jar - heat it up until it just starts to steam, set the disc in it, check every few min until it's the color you want.

Electrical tape would certainly be easier, but it will probably bleed some. If minor bleeds don't bother you, it should be fine. Put the tape on, do a dip to dye the other parts. Then cover those parts with tape and do the same with some other color.

Or, if you just use certain colors you don't need tape a second time. Dye it once so you have your stripes, then take off the tape and dye it again. E.g. you could use black the first time, then any other color the second time, since that won't change the black. Or if you had a white disc you could do red first, then blue, and you'll end up with blue and purple.

Electrical tape would certainly be easier, but it will probably bleed some. If minor bleeds don't bother you, it should be fine. Put the tape on, do a dip to dye the other parts. Then cover those parts with tape and do the same with some other color.

I only do dye jobs with worm dye and I don't dilute it, I just wipe it on. The electrical tape will most definitely bleed as the solvent dissolves the adhesive of the tape. I just wanted to corroborate this bit on electrical tape.

I know I know.... that was a brain fart....
Chartreuse was on my mind because that's the color I want to contrast the purple with.

Any other helpful suggestions? Does it work to mix blue and red to get a purple with these dyes or would that just turn into some yucky whatever?

Other thoughts on my other questions?

I just did a semi-successful dye on Jawbreaker (which usually doesn't dye well) mixing Blue and Hot Pink Dip. I drizzled on different parts of the flight plate and swirled it around to see if it would take. Not bad:

Attachments

• 20200612_110659.jpg
    20200612_110659.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 62
Thanks for all your comments! The dyes are on their way, so I am getting more and more excited. It's kinda hard to believe that just "painting it on" should work, considering all these posts of "I just let my disc sit for 48h in the dye bed..." and all those. But I'll certainly try "painting" :)
I also noticed how different the top and bottom are from the disc I mainly want to dye. The top is SUUUUUUPER sun-bleached, and the bottom still has kinda its original color.

If I want to dye the whole disc in a ziploc bag, how much water would I need, and how much dye should I add? Unfortunately, there are very few "recipes" out there, and I don't want to "waste" any dye. Similarly, how much worm dye is generally used for a shaving creme or cocoa-butter-bed?

Thanks again for your help! :)