• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Quick Coat Worm Dye Questions

Discount on shipping, code:

X146696

But quick coat work dye is the awesomesauce. It even dyes pro plastic well.

First pic was an ugly dingy Star Wraith.

2nd and 3rd pics were a leaf green Pro Shark.

Attachments

• 20181003_202725.jpg
    20181003_202725.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 20181003_202729.jpg
    20181003_202729.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 1539121405353411019856461153713.jpg
    1539121405353411019856461153713.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 133
SOLFs

So I like to throw ~150g OLFs. In my quest to find some in the 150g range I ran across a couple dyed discs on Marshall Street (I think.). I don't like stock dyes discs in general but I was desperate for some backups so I pulled the trigger on them anyway. I wasn't at all thrilled with how "pastel" they were and left them in disc storage for a while after testing them out.

Then I learned about worm dye here on DGCR in another dye thread and this one. So I bought some and finally put it to good use a few months ago and finally got around to posting this.

The two discs were twins, as much as dyed discs can be. They had the same color dye jobs with very similar patterns. In the picture below, the disc on the right shows the original dye job. The left disc is after some quick work with worm dye.

I just used a cotton swab and covered the entire disc in Hot Pink. Then I wanted to see what would happen with some Orange. I had a wet swab with orange already in it and just dropped some drops onto the still wet Hot Pink color. This is the result, with some runs and all.

It's not particularly pretty to me as I'm not fond of the runs and how the dye around the edges of the orange got thick and dark. But my whole reason for doing this was to make the disc easier to find and I accomplished that goal very well. This picture doesn't do the brightness of the colors justice. And if you're not looking at it close-up, it does look pretty cool.

Needless to say, I'm sold on Worm Dye. Thanks for the recommendation DGCR dyers!

picture.php

I'm having stencil issues with the worm dye. I'm using it full strength applying with a brush and it's curling back the edges
of the stencil, blurring lines.

What is the fix?
Dilution?

Does the garlic scent linger in the Spike-It brand dyes? I'm looking to dye some clear and white discs in a vibrant color, but am too cheap to pay the $6 shipping for the scent-free version. I can pick up a garlic-scented worm dye at my local Cabela's, or alternatively I can pick up jacquard's iDye. The nice thing about the jacquard is that it's scent-free and cheap (turqoise is only $2.62 on amazon); however, it's not a worm dye so won't be as vibrant and won't have the UV characteristics. I'm mentally debating whether using the garlic dye and just leaving the discs in the garage for a week would be enough to kill the scent.

Since it's designed for use on fishing lures, I would expect the smell to linger.

No experience with it, just a thought. Maybe check out reviews on Cabellas to see that the fishermen say.

Does the garlic scent linger in the Spike-It brand dyes? I'm looking to dye some clear and white discs in a vibrant color, but am too cheap to pay the $6 shipping for the scent-free version. I can pick up a garlic-scented worm dye at my local Cabela's, or alternatively I can pick up jacquard's iDye. The nice thing about the jacquard is that it's scent-free and cheap (turqoise is only $2.62 on amazon); however, it's not a worm dye so won't be as vibrant and won't have the UV characteristics. I'm mentally debating whether using the garlic dye and just leaving the discs in the garage for a week would be enough to kill the scent.

You may want to try mixing acetone and iDye Poly to get a similar result to worm dye. The only draw back maybe the vibrancy.

IIRC yes the garlic lingers for quite a while. Forgot about this thread, haven't dyed anything recently but here's an awful picture of what I've done with the QCWD. Crave was pearly clear/whitish streaks with a light lime rim, both Cannons were true clear, all 08' Worlds Drones are white*, bottom left TB was a lighter hue of pink already (slightly darker than the Drones are now), and the team stamp TB3 was the normal milky white glow:

x4x6L4k.jpg

The pink Cannon I did last, funny how the dye didn't set as well as the fresh batch of chartreuse. I didn't time any of them (maybe I should have?) but I'm assuming both Cannons were done for roughly the same amount of time.

*If anyone reading this has any 08' Worlds Drones, hit me up:D

You may want to try mixing acetone and iDye Poly to get a similar result to worm dye. The only draw back maybe the vibrancy.

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered the iDye. So basically your recommendation is to mix the packet of iDye with warm water and then add a touch of acetone? And that should add a bit of shine when hit by the sun, mimicking the worm dye's UV effect?

You could try both methods and see which one works better for you. Water will dilute the acetone more so that will help in certain applications.

I am not sure if it will be UV bright like worm dye. It probably depends on the color you got.

I just tried the 3:1 (water:dye) worm dye recipe and when I put the first patch of water in the whole solution turn opaque and started to have clumps in it. It did not seem to like the water at all. Anyone else run into this? I ended up just cutting some of the Quick Dip will alcohol so that it would dry a little slower and make the dye a little weaker . This allowed me to put the disc in a bag like the previous recipe. At the end I poured the rest of the diluted solution over the top to even out the look. I probably could have just rinsed with water to get a similar evening out.

Here are my results?

GwAWvuQZWQaNN5in9