• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Colors not bright enough

kobrien

Hi All,

I'm about 10 discs in and it feels like I cannot get my colors as bright as some of the ones I see posted. I have been using the full assortment of idye poly colors. My approach is to take about 3 oz of lotion and blend in about 1/4 tsp powdered idye poly with a spritz of water. I stir all this and then lay it on top of the disc and let it sit for 6ish hours. It feels like the pinks, oranges, purples and other bright colors don't pop the way I want them to.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

I think the guys doing the really bright dyes are using worm dip.

I am hit or miss on brightness using the idye poly and some plastics do better than others.

picture.php

Copied from this thread https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3365596#post3365596 .

It's a worm dye thread that might interest you. The pic is kind of twin OLFs. They started out identical as dyed discs can be and I didn't like the pastel colors at all. With some quick work with worm dye I got wonderful bright colors.

Stole this pic off google. It's a worm dye somebody did.

e4d8d690cb7ad828b1a2c05e68f0c25f.jpg

Most of the dyes I've seen that were done with the worm dip turn out pretty bright.

My other tip is try to stick to dying white discs if you want bright colors. The one above appears to have started life as a white star leopard.

It's nothing fancy, but I did this one with the idye poly and it turned out really deep red. It was just the milky glow color and was way too hard to spot in the snow so just wanted to make it easier to spot in the winter.

f1afb12dd53536473628d0541cfab127.jpg

Stole this pic off google. It's a worm dye somebody did.

e4d8d690cb7ad828b1a2c05e68f0c25f.jpg

Most of the dyes I've seen that were done with the worm dip turn out pretty bright.

My other tip is try to stick to dying white discs if you want bright colors. The one above appears to have started life as a white star leopard.

Whoa!!! Jimmy likeee!!!

Thanks everyone! I might need to give worm dip a try and see what sort of colors I can get from that. I will make sure to avoid the garlic scented.

I've totally abandoned IDyePoly now that I've started using worm dip. The only cautionary advice I can give is to not let a large amount of it pool in one spot because, I think, that's what causes the flight plate to sometimes get a little wavy with small undulations, like a small warp. It's acetone based, so if left too much in too concentrated of an area, you might get a warp there.

It happened really badly on a Lucid Felon of mine. I might try to resurrect it with a hair dryer, maybe?

I have others that have barely been affected, if at all.

Last edited:
I'm terrible at posting pictures here. Apologies if this is the size of Rhode Island, but here's a real good one I did, front and back, and it didn't have terrible undulations on the flight plate either.

Edit: I suck at technology and I don't have time to figure this out. YES, I've done it successfully before and don't remember how.

ARGH.

Hi All,

I'm about 10 discs in and it feels like I cannot get my colors as bright as some of the ones I see posted. I have been using the full assortment of idye poly colors. My approach is to take about 3 oz of lotion and blend in about 1/4 tsp powdered idye poly with a spritz of water. I stir all this and then lay it on top of the disc and let it sit for 6ish hours. It feels like the pinks, oranges, purples and other bright colors don't pop the way I want them to.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!
The type of plastic, the color of the plastic and the amount of time the disc is left in the bed makes a huge difference when dying discs with this method. You could also try increasing the amount of dye that you mix in with your lotion. What kind of plastic and what color of discs are you dying? White plastic will give the best and brightest results and star or fuzion type plastic work the best for this method of dying that you are attempting. Temperature also plays a part in how long it takes to get the desired colors. Heating up your oven to the lowest setting and then turning it off and placing your disc in the dye bed in the oven can speed up the process and help with color, put it in a hot car, I have seen people use a reading lamp and put the light shining on the bottom of the flight plate as the disc rests in the bed. You can get the same results without heat you just have to let it sit longer like 12-24 hours. When you put your design on the top of your disc does the lotion dye mixture dry out at all? I always make a bed of dye and put the disc in the bed flight plate down so that it dosen't get dry or crusty.

This is a Star boss that I dyed using the bed method. The blue is Idye poly and the pink is ProChemical bright red. I warmed this up a little bit and it was in the bed for about 4 hours and I think the colors are pretty bright.
picture.php

Latest posts