• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ratings calculations and layouts/divisions

ljwobker

Is it correct that when computing the ratings for a given round, all players who played a *the same layout* for that round are computed together, regardless of the division they are playing?

I had someone tell me the other day that the rating was only computed from the players within a single division, but I'm pretty sure that's not right....

Example: a tournament has 20 MPO players, 10 FPO players, and 15 MA1 players. On this round, they all play the same course/layout. Are all 45 players' scores used to compute the ratings for that round?

By extension, this means that the rating for any given score on that round would be identical across all divisions.

I *think* this is how it works, but I haven't been able to find it written down anywhere. ;-)

Is it correct that when computing the ratings for a given round, all players who played a *the same layout* for that round are computed together, regardless of the division they are playing?...

Yes!

If it was only within a division there would be problems when a division only had a few players.

Is it correct that when computing the ratings for a given round, all players who played a *the same layout* for that round are computed together, regardless of the division they are playing?

I had someone tell me the other day that the rating was only computed from the players within a single division, but I'm pretty sure that's not right....

Example: a tournament has 20 MPO players, 10 FPO players, and 15 MA1 players. On this round, they all play the same course/layout. Are all 45 players' scores used to compute the ratings for that round?

By extension, this means that the rating for any given score on that round would be identical across all divisions.

I *think* this is how it works, but I haven't been able to find it written down anywhere. ;-)
Not all players but all propagators who shot better than 60 points below their rating are used in the calculation. A propagator is a player whose rating is based on at least 8 rounds.

Since this question was answered I'm going to piggy back a question about ratings.

I'm 900 rated with the November update.

My included rounds are 881, 878, 888, 874, 896, 881, 780, 906, 850, 956, 931, 769, 892, 920, 929, 884, 895, 861, 986, 929, 940, 904, 870, 881, 859, 837, 981, 878, 898

Standard deviation is 48.07588. 2.5 times that is 120.1897. So that 769 shouldn't count. That 780 might not count either. But both say included?

Nevermind the last, it was a display issue and is being fixed. Those ratings were not included.

The update this morning had a display issue, but all the math is correct. The >100 or 2.5 stddevs were indeed calculated correctly, but for some reason were just displayed as "yes" on the public page. Pete pushed through a quick fix. Refresh a few times, wait a few minutes, etc.