• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Rediscovered my sidewinder

banknwank

Eagle Member
I have been revisiting my disc stash lately and giving discs , that I didn't like in the beginning, another try. My power has improved in my first season, so maybe stuff that didn't work before might fit my game. I was snagging up all the under stable stuff I could find. But some of them were still too fast for me to get them to work. For more powerful guys, the sidewinder might turn and burn or get roller duty. For me, @300 distance, it pops up nice and straight and has a consistent comeback at the end. If hit with above my average snap, it might work a little to the right but still finishes left. It may have found its way into the bag.

Congrats on your revelation :)
Sidewinder is very underrated. I would say ANY power level player who is GOOD should be able to bomb these with accuracy with a hyzer flip.
This is my favorite distance driver, and I think it is very unique in its flight.

Sidewinders are my old reliable for turnovers. Easy hyzer flips to flat and over, beat in to rollers, and can really be bombed almost as far as Max-D Drivers because they glide so much.

I can't imagine myself rolling with any other disc. The only other disc that I feel like I can control on the ground would be a roc but that's much slower. Left turns, right turns, big s rollers, straight rollers, sky rollers. It just does it all. Mine never really sees flight unless I need a wicked anhyzer in a tailwind.

Rediscovered ....... Again

I admit it, I change up my bag a little too often. But it's part of the discovery process in the game. I also have to admit that, for the second time, I have come full circle to my side winder again. I have, even with excessive disc experimenting, found a little more distance and skill in the game over the last year. That being said, I still don't have too much snap for my side winder in star plastic at 168 g. It's reliable at 320ish distances and I can still throw it into mild winds without it burning. I threw it on every single drive today with good results. It only got away to the right one time on about a 400 ft down hiller.
At what distance do you start to loose a sidewinder to a turn and burn? I would guess it takes close to 400 to get a reliable right turner. ( assuming reasonable form without too much oat or anny angles)

what do you mean lose a sw?
i can h flip my 168 star from straight to slow right turn at the end, and i only threw it like 280-320ft on a drive.
i think this disc is very sensitive to dome, weight, and plastic for how fast/early it starts to turn.
also of course depends on your snap/speed/form.

I still regret the loss of my DX Sidewinder. Fun disc to throw.

I suppose I could just buy another ....

I just hit my second ace Sunday in a tournament with a champion sidewinder. I love this disc great for turnovers, uphill they just bomb, or long hyzer flips. They are not just for beginners if you know how to control your throw they belong in everyone's bag. When feldberg was throwing innova he had a red nightshift one in his bag.

Might want to peruse this thread:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104579&highlight=sidewinder

There are some Champ 'winders out there with a good bit of HS stability.

They are superb hyzer flip machines. At my power,(@300-330 ) it's pretty reliable and doesn't start to display it's turn until tiny bit of head wind or down hill. Just works for me. Flat top, star plastic, safety vest yellow and easy to find in the weeds.......don't know why I ever took it out of the bag. As it gets a little more broken in, I should be able to get some hyzer flips into a late turner that flexes out for bigger distances. My best pulls can reach 330-340 right now, and my sidewinder may be the next level in distance........or I might try some thing else and come back to agin later :wall:

Glad I searched for threads as this is exactly what was on my mind today.

A Champion Sidewinder was my first successful distance driver when I was throwing <300'. Heck, I was probably throwing 275' on average at the time. (I probably wasn't ready for any distance driver, but fell into the well know trap of seeking out the magical distance disc.)

As my distance improved, but my form probably didn't, I thought that I couldn't throw it any more. Every time I threw it, it turned and burned. It was only useful as a roller (usually unintentionally). So I moved on to various other drivers with different levels of success (Valkyrie, Viking, Wraith).

I finally settled on the OLF. I've been throwing it for a few years now and still love it. But after I lost my favorite beat in base plastic MOLF, I realized that my bag was sorely lacking an understable counterpart to the OLFs. I've carried a Dragon for a long time, but was looking for something more durable, and with more weight to it.

Then I remembered that I had that old Champion Sidewinder in the closet. Well, I pulled it out and it was like a totally new disc for me. I tested it in the field and it worked immediately. I can throw it Anny and not have to worry about it coming back hard. I can throw it flat and it gets a good bit of high speed turn before coming back some. And it is really cool to hyzer flip it and watch it go. It takes a good bit of space to get distance with it. But it's definitely the understable partner for my OLFs that I've been looking for.

I can't throw a DX without it going waaaay too far right. Even with a Hyzerflip they still never some back for me.

Definitely love my sidewinders. They get most of my drives off the tee. I started with a few starlights which are still my main and are wearing in to have a bit of turn with my primary one getting taking more and more of my mongoose's turnover shots. Not quite as flippy yet - but those that need an anny line or slight turn I can hit now. A few more trees and I'll be dropping those.

I also have picked up a champ and a cfr champ glow sw that I've been mostly using for fieldwork. They'll be working their way into my bag soon as they are quite a bit more stable (the glow is VERY stable).

I can't throw a DX without it going waaaay too far right. Even with a Hyzerflip they still never some back for me.

theyre too understable to be useful at higher power than 300. i have thrown every sidewinder beside the pro ones from the innova pro shop. i love em to death. but dx is awful. might be good for rollers but idk how to throw rollers haha. dx are good at 75% power. but put some mustard on them and theyre not coming back. gstarrr is as flippy as it can get with still being useful. i had a thread started somewhere about the sw. i love me a good sw. hell i even love the bad ones :)