• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Replacement for Opto Air Ballista

autocrosscrx

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Two plus years ago, I pulled an Opto Air Ballista out of a local pond. Embossed 155g. After nobody claimed it for about half a year, I started messing around with it. And I fell in love and it has been in my bag for about a year and a half.

I don't throw it in the wind. I don't throw it with trouble to the right. If I try to throw it hard, I throw it in the ground or it finishes about 200 feet right.

However, when I hit, I can throw this thing dead straight with a big left skip. Or I can turn it a bit. And at the start of the day, it goes 20-30 feet longer than anything else in my bag. And at the end of the day, it goes about 50 feet longer than anything else in my bag. It is a staple in my bag and I throw it every hole that I can get away with throwing it.

Can't get these new. And my game would suffer (both in scoring and in fun) without this slot. So I really need a backup.

What should I consider?

Lightweight Destroyers should act pretty similar.

Previously I've read that Opto Air Ballista Pros were actually more overstable than their full weight counterparts. Maybe you found a flippy one.

Go here: https://trydiscs.com and search Air Ballista in the ISO Disc Finder. There are some available.

If you want to try a different mold, anything like a Destroyer, D2, Defender, Zeus in a lighter weight will probably fit.

The problem with the Air Ballista is that any search like that brings up the Air Ballista Pro, which is readily available.

Lightweight Destroyers should act pretty similar.

Previously I've read that Opto Air Ballista Pros were actually more overstable than their full weight counterparts. Maybe you found a flippy one.

Yeah. Mine is a regular Ballista, which are a lot more flippy than the Pro. I've read the same thing about the Air Pros.

A low 160's Crank would be the closest thing that may be available that I can think of.

A Sapphire would be close to the same flight, but slower, might be worth a try.

Sounds basically like a 160s star Shryke or king. Can't speak to the availability of either though.

What kind of flight #s are you searching for at what general distance?

I'm throwing standstill/standstillish bit of hyer angle flip to flat low and straight to fade to about 300 feet. I struggle badly with any kind of run up and getting my shots in the air.

So basically looking for the max easy distance for that kind of shot. I probably have about 2 dozens discs that give me the same shot to about 90-95% of the distance, but they take more effort and that wears me down towards the end of my rounds and my form starts to break.

I'm throwing standstill/standstillish bit of hyer angle flip to flat low and straight to fade to about 300 feet. I struggle badly with any kind of run up and getting my shots in the air.

So basically looking for the max easy distance for that kind of shot. I probably have about 2 dozens discs that give me the same shot to about 90-95% of the distance, but they take more effort and that wears me down towards the end of my rounds and my form starts to break.

Gstar Corvette, 160g. I promise. (Or Pro)

You need something fast, lightweight, and flippy.

That combo isn't always easy to find. Despite a lot of fast discs being lightweight, they aren't often really flippy.

I'd personally recommend something like a Starlite Boss. Those things will bomb at 300' power, and don't take much arm at all to get turned.

You might also try a blizzard Vulcan or Katana. I've also been seeing lightweight star and G* Shrykes lately. Those are probably worth a look as well.

Look for something Innova. They have the best range of options, and their discs are far easier to find and more widely available than other brands.

Not what you're asking about but if you want a bomber standstill disc in lighter weight you should give the Diamond a chance. Sure, it's only a speed 7 or 8 but it has stupid glide and doesn't take much to get it just cruising. Probably going to be more understable than that Ballista but that just means you can take some power off and still get good distance.

My wife throws them for everything other than headwinds and has been playing for about six months and consistently gets 250' out of hers.

You need something fast, lightweight, and flippy.

That combo isn't always easy to find. Despite a lot of fast discs being lightweight, they aren't often really flippy.

I'd personally recommend something like a Starlite Boss. Those things will bomb at 300' power, and don't take much arm at all to get turned.

You might also try a blizzard Vulcan or Katana. I've also been seeing lightweight star and G* Shrykes lately. Those are probably worth a look as well.

Look for something Innova. They have the best range of options, and their discs are far easier to find and more widely available than other brands.

I've got a rescue Blizzard Boss in a bin (say that 3 times fast). I've actually never thrown it. So that might be worth checking out.

Noted on the Corvette and Shryke, though I don't seem to mesh with GStar.

Latest posts