• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rhyno

Jesse B 707 said:
Frank_Delicious said:
mzuleger said:
possibly a classic roc? I always considered these mids (probably due to the "roc" name) but they are technically a putt & approach. I've been practicing my putting with them and they're not bad... a little overstable and actually really comfy to hold because they aren't very deep.

yeah I am going to disagree with this. Classic rocs are straight out of the bag. There is really no putter like the Rhyno on the market. The closest I would say is the Bulldog but that is OOP
the Zone is kinda close to a Rhyno

good call. a zone is a closer fit.

I use soft dx Rhyno's for windy approaches, spike hyzers, forehand, rolling (FH) and trick shots. What I like about it is the lack of glide, the overstability and the grip I get from it when throwing forehand. I used to throw stiff dx Classic Roc's with the same satbility as the Rhyno for a period, but switched back because the CR had too much glide. I belive the Sinus AP is about the same in stability, but a little more glidier.

have you thrown the different types of plastic on the sinus?

No, only the AP, 175 yellow I belive. It had a great flight, but I didn't like the sharp edge of it. Have only thrown it like 15 times, but I'm open for testing it some more. Both AP and SP.

P

So a buddy of mine gave me a Champ Rhyno a week or two ago that had been sitting in his disc closet for a few years. This past weekend, I decided to take it for a spin on a windy afternoon. First impression, this thing is a real nice disc for tee shots and approaches. It is quite gummy, which I don't normally care for that much, but for some odd reason this disc fits nicely in the hand and is a birdie making machine. I am surprised more players don't carry one of these thing. It's not the glidiest disc by any means, but I don't think I over drove a basket with it by more than a couple of feet because of that. Might keep it in the bag over the winter as well and mess around with it. Very dependable fade for me as well.

BLURR said:
So a buddy of mine gave me a Champ Rhyno a week or two ago that had been sitting in his disc closet for a few years. This past weekend, I decided to take it for a spin on a windy afternoon. First impression, this thing is a real nice disc for tee shots and approaches. It is quite gummy, which I don't normally care for that much, but for some odd reason this disc fits nicely in the hand and is a birdie making machine. I am surprised more players don't carry one of these thing. It's not the glidiest disc by any means, but I don't think I over drove a basket with it by more than a couple of feet because of that. Might keep it in the bag over the winter as well and mess around with it. Very dependable fade for me as well.

It is a great driving putter with the added bonus of being a good windy day putter and i used one as my main putter and driver for a while. Driver role longer IIRC around two years.

JR said:
BLURR said:

It is a great driving putter with the added bonus of being a good windy day putter and i used one as my main putter and driver for a while. Driver role longer IIRC around two years.

Schusterick was throwing DX Rhyno's on some approach shots at Winthrop this year. Mainly on the greens that were tight. I was wondering what he was throwing, because the disc would slowly make it's way through the air and then throw on the brakes as if on command, and stop. I was surprised to see what it was, considering you don't hear many people talking about them.

Seeing that sparked my curiosity, so I went by my local shop and didn't see any DX Rhynos, but I did get a flat, flexible 175 R-Pro. I know that some people hate this plastic, but I don't know any different. The added bonus was that if I hit a tree it would pretty much die on impact, or in some cases it would keep going forward instead of kick off the tree. But the flight was what hooked me. I got some incredibly straight shots out to 270' that barely had any fade. The drop rate is so drastic once it loses speed that it doesn't have time to fade. It also worked really well on shorter flex shots. It's in my bag now.

Rhynos are by far the easiest disc for me to range on drives and approaches, forehand and backhand. Consistent, reliable, predictable. I keep a well-seasoned, soft SE and an unseasoned, stiff Pro in my bag, but practice with Champs and DXs, as well. If you like the gummy Champ one, be on the lookout for the older, flat, grippy, pearly ones.

And kudos for resurrecting a dusty thread for a deserving disc. I recall it being noted somewhere there seem to be regional proclivities toward or away from Rhynos. Around Charlotte, you see Rhynos in the majority of bags, with many using it as their principal putter. Others from the mid-US and west coast said they didn't see them very much. It may have something to do with what you see others throwing as you are developing your game.

FTT - If you want to try a DX, I won one at Reedy am league last Sunday and would be happy to swap or sell. Not sure of weight; will weigh tonight and PM you.
- Jim

I've been using Rhynos for a couple of years. First it was a DX, great disc. Then it was a Champ, great disc (but in a lake right now). Then I bought a Star Rhyno (just out of curiosity, I was going to by a new champ). I love my Star Rhyno. Very overstable, no glide at all and very accurate. I can throw it about 70 meters (230ft?), although if the distance is over 60m I rather use a mid. Great for many different shots, but I don't use it for putting.

How would these differ from current run Champ and R-Pro Rhynos? And what's so special about zipper-top Rhynos? I know they are CE and rare, and that the zipper top means that it came from a new mold, but do they fly any different?

https://www.discgolfvalues.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=763

https://www.discgolfvalues.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=642

https://www.discgolfvalues.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=776

LumberJack said:
I want some gummy champ Rhynos that are cryztal flx gummy. Mmmmm... that would be so yummy. yummy gummy :)

I've got an old run max weight Champ Rhyno that is super gummy that I use for pretty much anything 200 and in. It is pure beefy goodness too.