• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Right Turn Throws and Discs

RHBH - Under 200', I use a well seasoned Roc. If the shot is longer, I use a beat DX Sidewinder.

But I've been working on my forehand, and it's starting to become a real possibility for me now.

I like to use my 171 Star Valkyrie for long anny shots. I also just bought a 167 Star Roadrunner that seems to work pretty well, but I need to work with it more to see what all I can do with it. Seems like there isn't much love for the Valkyrie going on here - most of you guys really seem to like the Sidewinder. What is it similar to? It sounds like it may be one I should try.

My anny disc is a DX Archangel. I find it the easiest long disc to turn. It'll hold a gentle or sharp line with no low speed fade as long as it's spun enough. Good tailwind disc too.

DX Stingray or Champ Stingray. DX Cobra or DX Roc (well seasoned) are my choices for midrange length right turns. For longer shots I always go to my beat up CE Valk (RHBH)

Still need to work on my forearm, it seems easier and lower risk for right hand turns

The champ roadrunner will turn late in its flight for me. I also love a beat champ viking.

I just purchased a Champion Sidewinder 170 grams. The disc is great for RHBH on anhyzer holes. Two finger grip with thumb in the middle. I also can turn over my Champion Eagle 174 grams. I have birdied a few holes that were previously not an option. Good luck!

I am left-handed, but I would second all the votes for the Stingray. I throw this disc LHBH and it turns left consistently for me when I get enough spin on it. It would work the same for you turning right with a RHBH throw. Throw this disc 20 times, and it will do what you want it to.

Did someone say thumber yet? Someone said thumber already? Ok, good, making sure. For sidearm (I throw): Starfire, turnover: Sidewinder for long, Skeeter under 250'.

I like to use my 171 Star Valkyrie for long anny shots. I also just bought a 167 Star Roadrunner that seems to work pretty well, but I need to work with it more to see what all I can do with it. Seems like there isn't much love for the Valkyrie going on here - most of you guys really seem to like the Sidewinder. What is it similar to? It sounds like it may be one I should try.

Most of the time, my Valks end up fading back to the left for me at the end so they don't end up as far to the right as they might need to go. In my experience, before my 150g Champion Sidewinder met its' doom, RIP, it acted a lot like my 150g Champion Valkyries, with a more extreme right hand turn and less fade back at the end, though.

I made, what I believe to be, my longest throw ever with the Sidewinder before I lost it. The pin was about 15' downhill, and about 350' long. I didn't even expect to make it to the pin. But with a strong tail-wind, the wind caught my tee shot, and I mean really caught it, and took it way right, before it faded back at the end, and ended up about 125' past the pin for a 475' drive. I've never seen anything like it since. Unfortunately, the 125' come-backer into the wind was no fun at all. :eek:

Last edited:
Do many of you guys throw 150 class drivers? My lightest driver is a 166 orc - or was (lost it today - RIP). My go-to drivers are wraiths and valks in the 170 range and I seem to be doing pretty well with them, but I've never tried a 150 driver. Is there a noticeable increase in distance? Or is it just a comfort thing? Seems like it'd get hung up in the wind pretty bad.

I only have one driver that's 150 class (one of my Tee-birds), and I don't see a huge distance difference for me between this and my 171 Tee-bird. It does, however, do really well in tailwinds and when I'm playing at high altitudes (mountain courses), so it's more of a situational disc for me.

A worn in wolf if you can find one works well for righties. I can get some meaty hyzer flips out of this one. More like Anni-flex shots.

Long Range: Champion Roadrunner. When you get your technique down for the anhyzer shot, you can throw this disc flat and it will make a nice, smooth turn to the right. For a mid-range distance, the DX Stingray is fantastic.

Both of these discs work great for a hyzer-flip shot as well, if you don't throw this shot, it's a good one to learn also.