• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rit dye questions

From Rit Dye on my facebook page.

"Hey Troy, These are too amazing for words! I'm in awe of all the detail in your designs. Not sure if you're having some issues with the Rit products but we've recently reformulated some of the dyes. It will effect how this type of polycarbonate takes the dye. Stay tuned as we get more info. We want to be able to keep you in dye so you can continue making cool stuff!"

I think you might have been going for this:
OK, we finally got the scoop. Thanks for being patient. Here's the official word.... Some slight modifications have been made to the Rit Dye Formula due to the lack of availability of some dye substances. With the new formulation, Rit will continue to dye most fabrics and materials, just as before. The only fabrics it will not dye are 100% acetate, polyester, acrylic and spandex. It will also not dye certain plastics made out of polycarbonates, such as golf discs and components of RC Cars. However, it will dye nylon-based plastics such as buttons and golf balls. It's always best to test the dye on your material first to see if you are satisfied. All the Rit liquid dyes are now packaged with this new formula. The powder dyes are being converted gradually to this new formula. Colors that have been converted are: Royal Blue, Petal Pink, Fuchsia, Cherry Red, and Pearl Grey. We will be posting more information about the new Rit formulation in upcoming blogs.

Thanks. I wasn going for any info though. They just told me without asking. Looks like once all of their colors are changed to the newer formula, we may need to fin a new dye to go with :(

Do we know if all of the lot numbers ending in 10 are still good? If so, I am going shopping and will be a hoarder.

i tried dylon looking for a fuchsia for the mermaid dye, it does not work. A guy at the course is going to hook me up with Procion dyes from Dharma trading company to try out, he seems pretty convinced it will work. I'm sure I will post results when I get to it.

From what it sounds like. Rit dye will no longer be good for disc yes in the near future. Their new change may good for the fabric dyes they are used to, but no looking so good for disc dyeing

I'm assuming all the old packaging is ok, so is there a consensus on how to tell good batches of the new stuff?

I'm pretty new to disc dyeing and decided to try colors other than black. I picked up a bottle of liquid Scarlett dye and mixed it (half bottle of rit : 32oz water). I used the exact same method for heating and dipping the disc that I used successfully with black dye, but HOURS and HOURS later...nothing.

I had a similar problem when I first tried dyeing with a bottle of liquid black. I got powdered rit and problem solved. Perfect black dyes every time.

I've read that liquid rit is the **** and people have great success with it...so what am I doing wrong!? What mixture should I use? Why is it that liquid rit seems to not hold?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
-Mike

This - liquid rit won't dye disc plastic anymore... pick up powder now until they switch it over as well
Rit said:
Some slight modifications have been made to the Rit Dye Formula due to the lack of availability of some dye substances. With the new formulation, Rit will continue to dye most fabrics and materials, just as before. The only fabrics it will not dye are 100% acetate, polyester, acrylic and spandex. It will also not dye certain plastics made out of polycarbonates, such as golf discs and components of RC Cars. However, it will dye nylon-based plastics such as buttons and golf balls. It's always best to test the dye on your material first to see if you are satisfied. All the Rit liquid dyes are now packaged with this new formula. The powder dyes are being converted gradually to this new formula. Colors that have been converted are: Royal Blue, Petal Pink, Fuchsia, Cherry Red, and Pearl Grey. We will be posting more information about the new Rit formulation in upcoming blogs.

Mission!

In order to identify the good and bad dye, it would be awesome if everyone who opens up a box of Rit would record the color and the batch number imprinted on it.

Thanks! That answers my question and prevented me from buying more to try again. The liquid black DID dye my discs, but it turned out more brown than black.

I'm pretty new to disc dyeing and decided to try colors other than black. I picked up a bottle of liquid Scarlett dye and mixed it (half bottle of rit : 32oz water). I used the exact same method for heating and dipping the disc that I used successfully with black dye, but HOURS and HOURS later...nothing.

I had a similar problem when I first tried dyeing with a bottle of liquid black. I got powdered rit and problem solved. Perfect black dyes every time.

I've read that liquid rit is the **** and people have great success with it...so what am I doing wrong!? What mixture should I use? Why is it that liquid rit seems to not hold?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
-Mike

make sure you shake the bottle really well, you need to get all the crystal-y gritty stuff in the mix, thats what actually does the job

This - liquid rit won't dye disc plastic anymore... pick up powder now until they switch it over as well

i havent had any problem yet and I have bought a lot of liquid RIT recently. i thought i had a problem with the liquid black, but i had forgot to shake the bottle so i shook it and got it all out and just doubled my mix and it worked like normal.

make sure you shake the bottle really well, you need to get all the crystal-y gritty stuff in the mix, thats what actually does the job

Yea that was the mistake I made on my very first dye with liquid black. I shook the liquid scarlet VIGOROUSLY for 5 min, mixed with 32oz water, and proceeded to dye a disc. Every 15 min I checked the disc and not even the slightest hint of red. I even let it sit over night... and nothing.

I'm going to skip the liquid I guess because I've had no problems with powder. My next question is, do they make all the colors in powder? I've only checked one wal-mart and they had black, rose?, and yellow I believe. All the good colors were liquid.

Sorry for the double post (if anyone here cares), but there should be some sort of organized list of what dyes will/won't work. If I knew what did/didn't work, I'd make that list... but I'm new :doh:

Scarlet for me works great. I think the problem might be the new formula.. go to Hobby Lobby, JoAnns, Michaels, or another hobby/ fabric store.. look at the top of the bottle (inked) or the end of the box (stamped).. if you can try to get only ones where the last 2 digits are 10 or below.. they started different formula in the 11's. Not on all the colors, just on the more popular ones it seems. Trozzle had it in one of his posts a message from RIT about it. I had some issues with Kelly Green that I had never had before while doing a Manta-bong, the dark green took great but the Kelly for some reason didn't take very well, yet it took on another disc. Basically when I go to the store I check lot numbers to find stuff that should work.

I must've lucked out when buying my powder black...05911. Thanks though, there's a hub hobby central a mile from here that I'm gonna go check out. I didn't even think to check that store!

I had the exact same problem ad Ricta did with the Scarlet red. Haven't found any fix to make it work. And likewise, I have only been to the one Wal-mart near my house, and got lucky with the powdered black dye.

Latest posts