• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roc OAT problem

Drakeab

Par Member
I feel pretty comfortable throwing my buzzz at full speed, but every time I try to throw any kind of roc, it goes horribly wrong. Most of the time, it comes out wobbling and sounding like a whirlwind coming out of my hand, turning right very quickly. Every now and then I get one out on my hand clean and it flies beautifully. Any ideas on how to get some consistency here?

Thanks!:hfive:

Slow your throw down and make sure that your hips and shoulders are aligned on the plane you're trying to throw. It can help to start with a neutral putter and learn to throw that cleanly without flutter, especially working on hyzers that don't flip up at all with a pretty flippy putter or mid. If you can do that, it will transfer to your throws with other discs including the roc.

My summit, wizards, and magic all come out well... I don't think any of them are too floppy though, are they?

I use a 150 dx aero as a utility disc but it is also great to test your hyzers like Mashnut says. Plus you can find one for 6 or 7 bucks new

pre-throw, check the alignment in your hand, make sure everything is straight. rocs feel different than buzzzes, so you have to throw accordingly.

My summit, wizards, and magic all come out well... I don't think any of them are too floppy though, are they?

Magic or summit are great for working on that, and a beat wizard is fine. Can you throw those on a hyzer line without them flipping up or flattening out at all? If so, it sounds like maybe you're doing something different with the roc, like a different grip or just trying to muscle it too much.

Are you running up? Throw standing still see what happens. Lose all the extra movement concentrate on the actual throw itself. Use on step forward if you must.

I'll definitely look into an aero! Thanks!

If I throw them on a hyzer, they flatten out, but don't turn over. I thought that's what was supposed to happen...:confused:

And I do run up... I'll try simplifying as well!

Flip shots should flip from hyzer, to flat, to anhyzer. They don't always flip all the way to anhyzer, but if you can't get them to flip to anhyzer, you may have nose angle issues.

I'll definitely look into an aero! Thanks!

If I throw them on a hyzer, they flatten out, but don't turn over. I thought that's what was supposed to happen...:confused:

And I do run up... I'll try simplifying as well!

Go to a field and start with short hyzers, only 100' or so. You should pretty easily be able to make them go that far without flattening out at all. Slowly push that distance out, it's possible to throw them a long way without that hyzer flipping up at all, and learning to control that will serve you well.

pre-throw, check the alignment in your hand, make sure everything is straight. rocs feel different than buzzzes, so you have to throw accordingly.
That would be my guess, too. Make sure the disc is aligned the same with Rocs as it is with other discs, not that it feels the same when you grip it. If you aren't having issues with other discs then there's probably some grip issue that's causing the OAT.

Yeah the grip on the rocs feel funny to me as soon as I put it in my hand... I haven't tried a fan grip because I would lose lots of distance...

Are you using a power grip on your putters and mids? I found it useful to learn to throw all my discs with the power grip and find consistency there, then adapted grips a little to be similar to the Climo fork grip on mids and putters.

Yeah I have been using the power grip... I would have no problem throwing a roc with a fan grip I don't think, except it wouldn't go anywhere.

This is pretty similar to my grip, I get 350-375' out of rocs with that grip.

pinchgrip01.jpg

. . . Climo fork grip on mids and putters.

Yes, I had trouble with Rocs until I started using a fork grip. Now I can throw them just fine with a (somewhat modified) power grip. Not as far as Mashnut, though . . .

Rocs are very stable (straight) thrown cleanly, but sensitive to OAT. Not Comet sensitive, but still.

Yeah the grip on the rocs feel funny to me as soon as I put it in my hand... I haven't tried a fan grip because I would lose lots of distance...

Then why throw a roc? If the rim doesn't feel good, you won't like the disc. Try a different mid. If a disc doesn't feel right, no matter what I can't throw it. All mental, but don't get sucked into throwing something that doesn't feel right. There is another disc that will feel better and throw better for you.

. . . If the rim doesn't feel good, you won't like the disc.

Possibly, but it is worth learning to like beaded discs - there are some very good ones!

Latest posts