• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rockness, Sasquatch, UNC-Insider Knowledge?

Pymm

* Ace Member *
Playing Rockness Monster, Sasquatch, UNC-Chapel Hill tomorrow on a mini-roadtrip with my regular group. They all look like great, though difficult, courses. I've checked out the pictures and course maps and am packing some discs I don't mind losing to throw on the water holes. Anyone got any hole tips, specific lines to play, general information, and, maybe most important, lunch recommendations? Thanks!

Great choices - all three rate very high on the fun-factor scale, IMO. If time allows, I would recommend getting all the holes in at Rockness as each bonus hole is worth it. Sasquatch has an additional pin on #2, in case you don't want to quite go for the long drive-bomb over the water. The 'shorter' pin still requires a tricky RHBH fade out over the water though - no gimme (somewhat similar to a few of the Buckhorn water holes). A fun shot either which way.

At Chapel Hill, hopefully holes #1 and #2 are back open, as both are some of the coolest holes on the course (many more fun holes follow; not to worry). I'd bring / have a pic of the course map handy, and be aware that a few the (older) baskets may not have the correct hole # on them.

As for eats, Pepper's Pizza on Franklin St. is a good funky little joint near the course in Chapel Hill (good beers on draft too, if I remember). In Roxboro, you may want to try 'Morristown BBQ Pitt #2'. It's right down the road from Rockness / Piedmont C.C., and is supposed to be a great barbecue spot. Sounds like a fun trip!

Last edited:
Edit: It looks like Pepper's in Chapel Hill is now closed, which is unfortunate. Looks like there's a brewery / across the street now, FWIW. That corridor of Franklin St. most likely has some good options all the same.

Great info! We are really looking forward to those courses. Thanks a lot!

So, Rockness Monster is beautiful and difficult. Kinda beat us all up on Saturday, though we all managed to pull out a birdie or two. Sasquatch went better, at least on the front. The back is a different beast, much tighter lines, much more trouble if you're off the fairway, etc. Highlight of my day was birdie-ing 17 at Sasquatch, it's only 210 feet but most of that is water. I put it to 12 feet left of the basket and made my putt into a stiff wind blowing in from the lake. Fun day but brutal walking, more like hiking.

Latest posts