• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses recommendations for TN, NC, SC, GA

Tomphoolery

Par Member
I made a thread in the general chat and was informed that this may be better served in the road trips forum.

I love being on the road. I've spent years traveling for live music as much as possible. Since COVID, I haven't left the state, but I look forward to a day where we can travel again soon. Disc golf has evolved from a casual 2-3 round/year activity for me to a passion where I'm playing as much as possible. This summer, if things go back to (somewhat) normalcy, I want to take a disc golf road trip.

I'm originally from east TN. I'm kicking myself now for not being more into disc when I lived in the south, because there's an abundance of good courses in the region. I'm tentatively thinking of doing a loop to see some of the prominent courses down south.

Here's what I'm tentatively looking at:

Leave Knoxville, TN for Johnson City, TN, where I will play:
-Harmon Hills
-Kiwanis

from JC I will head to WNC, where on my way to Asheville I will play:
-Black Jack
-Sugaree

I'll spend a few days in AVL staying with a buddy and drinking good beer. In Asheville I plan to play:
-Richmond Hill
-Sandhill Nature Trail
-Black Mountain
-Lake Julian

I'm gonna take a day off from throwing and take a hike, then head towards Charlotte/Rock Hill, where I plan to play:
-Hornets Nest
-Winthrop
-Camp Canaan

From there, I'm gonna loop back through SC and Georgia. courses on my radar for this segment:
-Pipeline -Spartanburg, SC
-Grand Central Station -Central, SC
-North GA Canopy Tours -Lula, GA *this is an off-the-beaten-path course where the signature hole is inside a commercial chicken coop!

Then, I'm going to Chattanooga, TN to play courses there and around Dalton, GA. I'm going to stay with friends in Chatt, spend a few days there, and take at least one day off throwing. Courses in the area:
-Westside - Dalton, GA
-the Sinks - Chatt
-Dallas Island - Hickson, TN

then back to Knoxville. That's about 12-13 days depending on how I split it up. That route has me playing two courses a day with two days off as it stands. It's a gauntlet, but it sounds like so much fun. Throwing plastic exploring beautiful parts of the south.

What are some disc golf trips you have taken? Any must-hits along my route that I have not mentioned?

I haven't played all of the courses on your list, but I have played quite a few of them, and thts on helluva good list. I thought The Sinks is a bit overrated, but not by a lot. I really enjoyed Richmond Hill.

A couple of courses I'd recommend:

Etowah: if you like shot shaping on very hilly terrain in the woods, this is it. Easy to get to off of 75 on the way to Westside in Dalton...which itself is a great course.

In Knoxville: Tommy Schumpert.

When you say Kiwanis, were you thinking Morristown? If so, it's fun, and very solid, but Panther Creek is epic.

Harmon, NGCT, Blackjack are all 4.5's in my book.
That's one hell of an itinerary.

Last edited:
It's an excellent loop.

As was mentioned in the other thread, if you can squeeze Ashe County in (up there near Black Jack & Sugaree), you should.

My less-useful tip is to take a 3rd week, and add a swing through Augusta (IDGC, Langley), so you can stop by Stoney Hill on the way.