• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Running first event in a long time

aren

Bronze level trusted reviewer
Running a tournament for the first time in a long time this spring. C-Tier.

I'm a little out of touch of what ams want in players packs/difference in registration fees. My initial thought was to just have all divisions the same ($25). But after thinking about it, I feel like scaling up MA1-4 a little bit might go a long way to helping encourage people to play and to play in divisions appropriate for them.

Thinking about:

MA1 - $30
MA2 - $25
MA3 - $20
MA4 - $15 (provide lunch to everyone involved, small prize payout)

I know that you can't make everyone happy, but curious on conventional thoughts regarding registration fees/payout/players pack. Especially for MA4 doing (basically) trophy-only. (My sense is that most Ams don't really want a players pack, or at least more plastic they won't throw.)

I think you'll have players who would normally play in one division sign up for a lower division that they qualify for so they can pay less to play.

This is a format to encourage everyone to play as low as they possibly can. I don't consider that to be a good thing. I don't think most AMS really want a big players pack...but I do think a lot of folks like to walk away with SOMETHING, even if it's a single disc stamped with the tournament name on it.

When you say encourage people to "play in divisions appropriate for them"...are you trying to encourage people to play down to their rating when they might normally play up a division?

When you say encourage people to "play in divisions appropriate for them"...are you trying to encourage people to play down to their rating when they might normally play up a division?

That's a good question. I guess my biggest thing is creating a spot in MA4 that's geared toward people who want to have a little competition, but mostly there to grow their game and have a good time. We don't have a ton of MPO and MA1 in our area, and I would like to have an event that's encouraging to those just starting out and want to be a part of an event. Then other three am divisions can have a little more competition to them.

Ultimately, I don't really care about people playing "down" if they qualify for that division under PDGA rules.

That's a good question. I guess my biggest thing is creating a spot in MA4 that's geared toward people who want to have a little competition, but mostly there to grow their game and have a good time. We don't have a ton of MPO and MA1 in our area, and I would like to have an event that's encouraging to those just starting out and want to be a part of an event. Then other three am divisions can have a little more competition to them.

Ultimately, I don't really care about people playing "down" if they qualify for that division under PDGA rules.

I think what you're likely to find is that you'll get people who wouldn't normally consider tournament play to come out because it's only $15. Those are the people who normally I would say "you're good, you have no rating, but you should be playing MA2" to say "I would, but MA4 is quite a bit cheaper, so I'll just play that"...and then everyone who normally plays MA4 & MA3 ends up getting blown out by people who technically "can" play those divisions, but never would because they'd choose to play up if it call cost the same.

If you're ok with that, that's fine. I just think that's likely what the tiered buyins on the AM side is going to lead to. I also tend to think that means the lower divisions are NOT going to have much fun getting blown out by people who would otherwise never play with them.

I don't think $5 increments are going to be a huge factor in division choices. Especially if they also mean lower payouts.

My contradictory advice would be to (1) see what other events around you are doing, but also (2) give it a try.

For #1, player preferences probably vary a lot from place to place. I've seen a lot of players who bypass low-entry events because there's not much to be won, with the distressing result of much higher entry fees being common around here, even for C-tiers.

But for #2, a lot of places now have enough players to spare, so that any fee structure is bound to appeal to enough of them to run your tournmanet. As for the others, let them go elsewhere.

Low buy-in and one day. Entry fees are getting crazy high because many want big payouts. Cater to those wanting to try a tournament & not have to commit an entire weekend at the cost of dinner for 4. Promote it that way. Free lunch? That is huge at these prices. Do it!