• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Salient Vein and Backdraft

SAVE_2.jpg

retooled Backdraft on the Left -- Which I had a chance to throw today for a while(176g stiff cryo plastic) and like the improvement for the most part as the fatter wing nose/tip makes it a more predictable flying distance driver. Pretty much the same stability as the liquid run before but not as fast and a little less glide which was especially apparent in the fade. I threw it in some 20mph headwinds and tailwinds without issues where the first run hated a headwind. Reminds me of a slower seasoned OS pop-top destroyer.

This version of the backdraft fights the wind much better as well as being less impacted by it overall from crosswinds etc plus comes out of a anhyzer harder. The re-tooling appears to have been a good thing and can see this being a better driver in all conditions at the higher power level which it was designed for.

Been throwing a little more FH's again recently and was really impressed with the easy distance I was getting from a standstill out of this new run. The wide rim plus large dome with rounded high shoulder is not the most comfortable to me throwing BH but I tend to prefer flatter discs in general. Definitely check out one of these retooled backdrafts if you haven't thrown one yet-- not sure when they will be available for retail tho'

Last edited:
The hand comfort is definitely better with the retool (not as sharp of a leading edge). I agree the new BD wants to fight back a little harder out of it's turn which makes it more reliable.

Vein we didn't change at all and the new production runs have some great colors and as always a great feel. Disc Nation has all the new discs in stock and will post them next week.

Buzz words/phrases like "retooled" and "changing manufacturers" seems to mean Salient has been producing crappy stuff that wasn't properly tested. What a bunch of scammers. I guess that is what they really meant by "game changer"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 20
I actually liked the old Backdraft
It performed well up here at 6000 feet above sea level. Any plans to keep the original maybe under another name?

I actually liked the old Backdraft
It performed well up here at 6000 feet above sea level. Any plans to keep the original maybe under another name?

There is currently is no plan to keep the old version of backdraft. It is not so much it was untested as we just wanted the disc to be more consistent. Many manufacturers retool discs over time. Hence why players look for certain runs because the company changed the mold at some point in its life. This version will be more widely accepted. I threw it today and compared it to my slighty beat first run echo xcal.

Finally got a chance to throw my retooled Cryo Backdraft against my Liquid original. At first glance, as Aim's profile shot showed, the retool is thicker. There is still a decent dome to the disc, but it's not nearly as extreme as the original. It is still pop-top. Something else I noticed was the original has a slight concavity on the upper part of the wing, but the retool had a Breaker-esque dip where the rim joined the flightplate. In a backhand grip, it's much more comfortable for this baby hand man. I definitely prefer the feel of the retool.

It took me a few throws to be comfortable throwing the retool, but once I did, I was very impressed. BH and FH both, I was having a blast in the field. The wind was pretty light, but I was throwing mostly in head and tail winds.

Throwing into a headwind, I would see a slight turn from the original, but the fade would kick in fairly quickly and bring the disc to the ground without turning it into a roller. The retool would fly straighter lines but fade later. Maybe it was the comfort of the rim, but I was actually getting more distance from the retool despite it's higher HSS. The story is the same for tailwinds. Because of the increased LSS of the Liquid original, I still was seeing it find the ground earlier. Experimenting between flat throws and flex shots, I was really enjoying the retool's flight.

Once again, I don't see myself bagging this, but I will definitely revisit it as my backhand distance grows. I can see bigger arms loving this disc, though, and can't wait to get it into my buddy's hands this weekend to see what he can do with it. Despite being able to throw over 450', he couldn't get the Vein to turn at all. I hope to see him crush the Backdraft.

That sounds really similar to my throws with it-- I was at a DG course with the retooled one this time around vs a open field but went to a different one than I threw the FR's on and was also surprised by the distance a few times walking up expecting it to be much closer than actually was the case. I really didn't measure any of the throws at all but one of them was diagonal across a baseball field into adjacent one across a walking path which easily had to have been 425' slightly up hill and one of my further shots on a lower golf line without any tailwind love.

Its a really good improvement on the original disc really and a lot like a good destroyer run vs a bad one they nailed it this time.

Its a really good improvement on the original disc really and a lot like a good destroyer run vs a bad one they nailed it this time.

Did yours have that dip where the wing met the flightplate too? I hope that's intentional.

I never really threw Destroyers, but I agree that they nailed it.

Did yours have that dip where the wing met the flightplate too? I hope that's intentional..

Yes much more pronounced than the FR molded ones. I am still really curious to throw one of these which is a flat top like the Prometheus was... really like my flat top discs though'

Did yours have that dip where the wing met the flightplate too? I hope that's intentional.

I never really threw Destroyers, but I agree that they nailed it.

The reason for the dip is we flipped the cryo discs over during cooling to help with the wing sinking like on the originals. This groove does not show up nearly as much on the liquids just the cryos. It seems that this flip has really helped the discs become closer together between the 2 blends. I myself enjoy the retool a lot more and when I get more practice with it don't see a reason it can't take a place in my bag.

I definitely like the dip. Glad to hear it's a result of the manufacturing (cooling) process!

I also like the little dip. When I first saw it I knew what it was from but thought that I wasn't going to like it. Turns out that it is right where I put my thumb so it seems to workout pretty darn well.

I'd like to hear more from you guys who are throwing the Vein. As I said, I felt like it flew like a glidey Banshee, and the small bead was a nice touch. But it didn't fit my hand well. Let's hear some pros and cons from those who are tossing it.

I love mine for crazy flex shots. I don't throw mine a ton because I usually throw the Zone in those situations, but I can throw it on an extreme angle around things and trust it to fight hard to still fade. It has a similar high level of LSS to the old Backdrafts. Never threw a Banshee that wasn't beat to death so I can't comment on their similarities, sorry.

The only cons I have for it are that it's smack dab in the middle of speed for the Firebird and Zone and the flashing. It's starting to soften a little, but it is pretty sharp on the tip of the nose.

Last edited:
I'd like to hear more from you guys who are throwing the Vein. As I said, I felt like it flew like a glidey Banshee, and the small bead was a nice touch. But it didn't fit my hand well. Let's hear some pros and cons from those who are tossing it.

I have handed out like 5 of them at this point so some reviews should trickle in from some VIP lounge guys.

well, I hope anyways :popcorn: lol.

The vein is meanly OS though I hardly even have a use for a disc which is so overstable but agree with TB that some touch FH flex shots and other low line skips etc its a hell of a mold. The beaded design makes me believe its not going to lose much stability either just maybe added glide over time. Feels a little strange in the hand though I agree with you there.

I have handed out like 5 of them at this point so some reviews should trickle in from some VIP lounge guys.

well, I hope anyways :popcorn: lol.

The vein is meanly OS though I hardly even have a use for a disc which is so overstable but agree with TB that some touch FH flex shots and other low line skips etc its a hell of a mold. The beaded design makes me believe its not going to lose much stability either just maybe added glide over time. Feels a little strange in the hand though I agree with you there.

It's definitely a beast of a mold and as a head wind and utility disc is really nice.

Btw we have some of the new stamps released for the production runs. They are all available (liquid will be up soon) at disc nation and other retailers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 15
I was practicing with my fairway drivers today. It was breezy, but not really windy. The Vein was definitely my most consistent disc. Every time, it flew straight with a strong fade to the left at the end. The breeze never moved it up, down, left, or right like other discs. Straight then left, every time. It doesn't fly as far as other drivers, but it landed in almost the same place every throw. I will trade that consistency for 30 fit of distance.

Also, I agree with tbird888 that the flashing is very sharp. It takes a little longer to position in my hand before throwing. On the up side, I never experienced griplock on the Vein!

The Vein will always be in my bag. I am looking forward to the release of the new stable and understable fairway drivers from Salient/Yikun!

Also, I agree with tbird888 that the flashing is very sharp. It takes a little longer to position in my hand before throwing. On the up side, I never experienced griplock on the Vein!

The stock Veins listed at DN don't have this sharp flashing. Very smooth and easy to grip. I really like some of the new Cryo plastic. Considering grabbing one to compliment the Rival/Patriot combo.

The stock Veins listed at DN don't have this sharp flashing. Very smooth and easy to grip. I really like some of the new Cryo plastic. Considering grabbing one to compliment the Rival/Patriot combo.

I had a feeling they'd tighten up the flashing since the Backdrafts were very tidy. Glad to hear that.

I think you'll really like the Vein in that role if you get it a chance.

I had a feeling they'd tighten up the flashing since the Backdrafts were very tidy. Glad to hear that.

I think you'll really like the Vein in that role if you get it a chance.

I fielded tested some on our store driving range. Its a really nice, predictable fairway driver. I just need to go test some of the new blends of plastic. I like that I could just smash it on a line straight and count on it to sit down every time. With a higher arm speed, I like discs that I can trust to not cruise past the breaking and landing points.

Latest posts