• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

San Antonio in April!

keltik

* Ace Member *
My wife and I are going to San Antonio the week after easter this year. We'll be there for about 5 days and with no kids! She'll be attending some conferences and I hope to get some golf in.

First question obviously is what's the best course to play. I did a quick search and there appears to be several options. I know SA isn't the most happening DG scene in the Republic of Texas but hey it's still Texas right? I'm just happy to get some out of state action, especially in Texas.

I don't know if we'll be able to make it up to Austin although I think it would be funny to meet ZAM and ZJ.

Next question is what discs should I pack for TX golf? I'm not gonna try to pack a whole bag setup with no gaurantee of play time. NC golf is usually quite woodsy and touchy with not much wind to conted with. What is south Texas like in the spring? What kind of critters do I need to be warry of? What about brush/briars/poisonous plants?

What are some other good sites to see in San Antonio?

Of course shoot me a PM if you would like to guide me through the SADG scene.

First question obviously is what's the best course to play. I did a quick search and there appears to be several options.

Next question is what discs should I pack for TX golf? I'm not gonna try to pack a whole bag setup with no gaurantee of play time. NC golf is usually quite woodsy and touchy with not much wind to conted with. What is south Texas like in the spring? What kind of critters do I need to be warry of? What about brush/briars/poisonous plants?

What are some other good sites to see in San Antonio?

I assume you will be mobile, so distance isn't that much of an issue? Best big courses are McClain, Universal City, Live Oak and Pearsal. Good short but technical course is Northwest Vista. Also a pretty good one at Schlather Park in Cibolo. It plays longer than it actually is. There are a few other shortys that are good for a quick round...Helotes, Nani Falcone, Trinity University and Tejeda MS come to mind.

McClain and UC seem to get the most thumbs up. Live Oak is a big one, 40 something holes and you will almost need a guide or map to navigate it.

These courses are not super long like some in Austin, but a pretty well rounded arsenal will help with the bigger ones. Still, a three or four disc round is always fun on them. The short courses can be done with a putter only or putter and mid easily. Wind can be a big factor in spots on the big courses. At Pearsal and Cibolo, its always a factor. Trees can be a factor, but not like what you are used to. Vista will be the tightest treewise. Most fairways are pretty clear.

As to what to see, that will depend on your tastes. To do the tourist thing, one must hit the Riverwalk and Mexican Market with the Alamo in between. There are several old Spanish missions on the south side if you are into history. Fiesta starts on 4/16. Basically its a week plus, city sized party with lots of events and tons of food.

Looking at the schedule we're gonna be there right before Fiesta. That really sounds awesome though. I'll keep that in mind for future vacation ideas.

Thanks for all the course info too! Shoot me a PM if you want to meet up.

Yer Velcome.

Will PM if I can get away. Work is pretty oppressive this time of year, and I just picked up another rush job to start next week. The work thing is starting to crimp my style. :wall: May have it done by the time you get here..will have to see.

Last edited: