• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Courses for the Rest of Us

edfaits

Gold level trusted reviewer
I love going through the "top courses" rankings here and on UDisc. However, as a sore armed old rec player, I'd love to know what are "top courses" for my skill level. I remember when my son took my out to Wickham Park in Connecticut, then and still one of the top courses in the area. My first drive went about 100 feet deep into the briers. Fifteen minutes later I emerged with my Leopard was bloody legs questioning why I ever wanted to play disc golf. Fortunately, I stuck with the sport, with the realization that a course that is great for the local pros might not be where I would enjoy playing.

With that in mind, what are some great "beginner / rec" friendly destination courses out there? I'm not talking about a 9-hole pitch and putt in a local school yard, but a place for a quality experience for someone that can't throw 300 feet.

For me, it's Calico Creek Greens in my home town of Southwick, MA, Maple Hill Reds, and the combination of the Hawk and Owl courses at Sabattus in Maine. Pyramids Pink gets an honorable mention though only six holes.

The Flying Armadillo in San Marcos, Texas and the Tiki Course in Spotsylvania, Virginia both sound like fun, I'm not sure if they are too "gimmicky" to be taken seriously.

John Houck and Dee Leekha have designed several courses that include beginner options, I look forward to exploring some of these.

What "beginner / rec friendly" courses should I put on my road trip list?

In our area, which is a VERY GOOD area for disc golf, we have all the courses you want and need. From Idlewild to a Steady ED Winton Woods that is shorter than half the holes in the area.

What type of course you want to play today? We have it within a 45 minute drive or less.

Lots of choices. Where are you likely to be heading?
Retiring this spring and ready to hit the road once we've had our Covid shots. I've done a couple of road trips already and played a bunch of top rated course, I've played Hillcrest, Harmony Bends and Selah Ranch, and all of the New England/New York top courses.

I find myself enjoying gold courses now (spent the summer playing Iron Hill Golds), but the types of courses you are describing were my strong preference until recently.

Rockness Monster in Roxboro, NC is my favorite course in that "category" I've played.

What type of course you want to play today? We have it within a 45 minute drive or less.

Anything interesting for a real rec player challenge. The Steady Ed course might be fun. Idlewild sounds much too difficult, though I might play it once just so when I watch the pros shred there I'll have an appreciation of what they are doing.

Anything interesting for a real rec player challenge. The Steady Ed course might be fun. Idlewild sounds much too difficult, though I might play it once just so when I watch the pros shred there I'll have an appreciation of what they are doing.

If you go thru this area for disc golf there are dozens of other courses. I'm sure at least a couple will be what you're looking for. Those 2 I mentioned are on the opposite ends of what we have here.

My "what are you looking for" question was to point out whatever it is we have it here.

A good starting point might be to set the course search to 18 or more holes, 3 star or above, and under 5,000 feet. Full courses that are under 5,000 feet, but still get a good rating, are likely to be fun for more moderate players.

I did this for my state, and the courses on the list that I've played, are some of the same ones I'd suggest.

As a noodle armed, "experienced" player, I think you might be looking at it wrong. Taking brand new players, being introduced to the game for the first couple times, out of this discussion. Disc golf is a nature walk with me competing against a course. I gladly acknowledge that gold level courses are above my skill level. But....that is ok. My goal does not have to be par. My goal is smart play, conquering my challenge, minimizing dumb shots, enjoying the spoils of nature and having fun.

I play the famed Toboggan course often. I have no delusions about coming in at 18 down. I am always gunning for my personal best of +12, but a solid 20 over is not going to chase me from playing again.

I guess I am trying to demonstrate that gold level courses are made for everyone. Score should not be the evaluation point....fun should. Many of our top gold level courses, listed here, are not just top courses for their difficulty. Heck, Flip is not really even that hard of a course. Read reviews to find out what the things you really want in a course. Find a couple top reviewers that seem to value your top things. Try a ton of different courses and be the judge. But, man....just go have fun.

As a noodle armed, "experienced" player, I think you might be looking at it wrong. Taking brand new players, being introduced to the game for the first couple times, out of this discussion. Disc golf is a nature walk with me competing against a course. I gladly acknowledge that gold level courses are above my skill level. But....that is ok.

I agree to a point. Like I said, I've played and enjoyed top courses like Harmony Bends and Selah Ranch, but always from the Red Tees. If my skills are closer to what the designer was targeting I find its much less frustrating.

I live about an hour from Maple Hill... The Red Course is where I have the most fun. I will play the White (or "old glory') layout once in a while. On a few holes I don't even bother teeing off, I just take my stokes and go to the drop zone... is that really "playing" the layout? If I can only throw 200' and the tee shot requires a 300' carry, it's not for me. If I tried to play Maple Hill Gold I might throw an infinity because I'm not sure I can even make the carry from the drop zones ;)

I am a creaky old guy who does not throw far (as several folks on here can attest). Some of my favorite courses are full of wooded par 4, par 5, and tough par 3 holes. Nothing wrong with taking more than one throw to reach the basket. And if you don't throw far but can hit your lines, woods are the great equalizer.

But, as you said, water carries outside your range can be frustrating.

Lots of fun, technical, often older woods courses if you head down I-95 and/or I-81 through NJ, PA, MD, and VA. Cincy and Pittsburgh have a ton of good courses with a wide range of difficulty.

Another way to find fun, older courses is to search for "Headrick" as the course designer. Many of the Steady Ed courses date to the dawn of disc golf, when fast discs didn't exist.

If you make it out to the mountains west of Denver you will find a concentration of fabulous courses. CO mountain courses feature quite a few short, technical holes with elevation that you may enjoy along with the gorgeous scenery.

Good luck!

If you want to head North I've played Bellamy in Dover, NH and the Woodland Valley courses in Limerick, ME, among others. I recall those being a lot of fun even without a big arm. A lot of fun golf there. I think I only played the Kodiak once or twice at Woodland Valley. The other two aren't as long.

Personally, I love Salmon Falls in Rochester, NH. It may be a bit long for your tastes, but it was a lot of fun and challenging at the same time.

Just a couple ideas. Hopefully you find what you're looking for.

I just re-read the op. Black Bear and Bellamy might be ok. The others would be tough for rec level.

Last edited:
I enjoy the Tower Ridge courses in Eau Claire, Wi as a middling rec player. Challenging enough to be hard, but not beat the tar out of you tough. There's a few other "experience level friendly" courses in the area, although it'd be tough to sell them as destination worthy. Maybe a place to stop in if on your way to the Minneapolis area.

Sandy Point Disc Golf Ranch 24 & Highbridge 75 minutes away with 6 courses are worth the trek in northern Wisconsin. Although Highbridge is known for its long Championship layouts, the shorter courses and layouts within them are first rate for rec players. Two Red level courses, two other White level courses and two new Purple level layouts within those courses in addition to the campground 9-hole shorty. Course stats will be updated on DGCR as they become available.

Another option is to look for old courses that are highly rated. I am often surprised at how much fun old courses can be. Most don't require more than 300' of power to have a chance to birdie. A perfect example is Vollrath Park in Wisconsin. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=800

I would like to mention the newly redesigned Fel-Pro RRR in Cary, Illinois. The designer Dana Vicich did an amazing job of making a course that is challenging while still being super fun even for casual players. This is a course every course designer should play and learn from because we need more courses like it.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=11740

Also, if you play a course and enjoy it find out who designed it and see what other courses they have designed. There are a couple of course designers in my area who consistently make courses that I enjoy playing.

Others have touched on it but I'll emphasize playing shorter tees at many of the highly rated courses out there. Most (not all) of those courses are designed well enough to offer shorter Red/White tees that cater better to the lower powered players but do not take much away from the quality of the course. Some examples I can think of are Northwood and Fairfield Parks in IL, Lemon Lake in IN, and Horning's Hideout in OR.

Personally, I can still have fun while challenging myself.

Hitting a par on a 600' par three is a win in my book.

A good course for me is one that makes me use a variety of shots and combines some big distance challenges with some shorter accuracy shots.

I don't like to play those little pitch and putt courses where every hole is a potential birdie.

I also don't care for a course where every tee shot requires nothing but raw distance.

I guess I am trying to demonstrate that gold level courses are made for everyone. Score should not be the evaluation point....fun should...... But, man....just go have fun.

Giddy up!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk