• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are Flip City, Idlewild..etc...wussy courses?

Essentially I think we all agree. Keep everyones opinion but maybe there should be box to check that asks is this course challenging and a simple easy /fair/difficult choice could come up. From this we could filter reviews rather than have to constantly be guessing like detectives. I don't care that nockamixon gets dogged I just don't want it to fall of the radar like iron hill did due to less skilled players getting chewed up. And for the record i suck but still enjoy the toughest courses out there.I also really like the idea of giving less weight to thumbed down ratings reviews as a measure to mitigate outliers. Really well thought out good stuff

East Coast has a better idea than many areas in regards to what makes a great course, IMHO...this is part of the Iron Hill and Nocky situation. I could easily name ten courses from the MD, PA, DEL, VA, WV, etc. that are fairly brutal; but would be on my favs list. Come to think of it, GA, NC, etc., I could name a number of favs as well; that are all very tough. Plenty of pitch and putts available in all regions; lesser players should refrain from reviewing tough courses if their comments are going to deal with a course being too tough. This should nearly always enhance course ratings. In other words, to all reviewers; if the course kicks your a$$; add .5 to rating!

I agree with 3.5 being the threshold of interest.You'll want to read the reviews to determine if it's a nice course with great amenaties, or a really challenging track with some flaws. I put Rockburn in the later category. The rough just isn't a problem for noobs, I see pros posting in the lost and found thread for the Rock all the time. The dirt tees can really suck, especially after a rain. Calvert Road Park is only 15 - 20 miles away. It's a nice course, you'll never lose anything and you'll have fun. It's rated a 3, only half a disc behind Rockburn, but the Rock is a far better test, it plays about 10 strokes tougher for me.

I really don't think there is a "perfect" course, everyone's 5 (if they ever give one) will have some flaw, but a strong enjoyment factor that trumps it. Delaveaga is that way for me, the three sets of crossing fairways are definitely a problem, but the area is so pretty and the course is such a perfect balance between tough and doable, it just a 5 for me. I've played tougher courses, just nothing more fun.

Normally, if I am looking to play a new course and do a field trip. My search criteria is 18 holes, 3 rating or better and a 100 miles. Than I read through the reviews, print the course map and look over the pictures of the various holes. In the summer months I'll do overnighters or a weekender trip, than the distance increases and I look for the nearest camping.

I don't ever give a course a lower grade because I lost a prized disc. That is my fault not the course designers. In my mind there are two types of courses. Your average run of the mill fun to play layout. It has multi pin & tee locations with ace and birdie opportunities, more holes with open greens with smart and well thought out basket placements. Normally a even distribution of right and left handed pins. The designer did the best with what he had to work with.

The second is a course that will challenge and push me to play smarter and better. Distance isn't so important a factor as is the design. I want to see good terrain changes, difficult basket placements, mandos, direction changes, OB zones and water hazards if possible. Pars should be realistic. I prefer concrete tees or the well secured rubber pads. Natural tees are okay too if level and maintained. I want to have to think out how to play the hole, not just power drive to within 30 feet of the basket. I have to play multiple rounds to find the best route to the basket.

All the rest is just icing for me. Location, nice views, pretty signs, bathrooms, water fountains, parking, basket type. The course should be maintained to a reasonable degree. I understand that rural low volume locations won't be as glitsy as well used courses. I shouldn't have to use a machete to get to a basket. Or watch where I step because the place has trash everywhere. I'm very reasonable about these factors and grade accordingly. I've played some urban parks and understand the limitations of the area.

Optidiscic, if you plan on playing Nockamixon on a weekend sometime in the near future send me a PM. It takes me about a 1hr and 20mins to get there.

Flip and Idlewild are the only two of the top 10 I've played so far. They both stand out as immaculately maintained and scenic, and that's part of why they're rated so high. Idlewild has a lot of interesting challenges, I definitely wouldn't call it a wussy course. Flip has a lot more "easy" shots, but it has some length and some great roll away pins and blind shots that add some challenge. It's definitely not the toughest course I've played, but it's not just a pretty pitch n putt, at least for a mediocre player like me. Both were just downright fun to play for me, and that's one of the biggest reasons they're at the top of my favorites list.

I'd have to agree with most of this. Flip is much easier to play while Idlewild is much more challenging. I've played 3 rounds at each course. Both are a blast and worth the trip there.