• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Municipal DG Course Improvement Stratagies

jskew113

* Ace Member *
So my friends and I are trying to get the ball rolling on some improvements to out local city DG course. Course is tightly wooded with natural tees. Offers a great variety of line shaping, 3 holes with water crossing tee shots, wide open hole 700+ feet, and great views of the surrounding river and marsh. There is a lot of potential. The course is already mostly full on weekends with players and with a little love could boost its rating and rival the current nicer courses in the area.

The course in question is Bennett's Creek Disc Golf Course in Suffolk, Virginia.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=789

For an idea of the level of course I'd like to develop the Creek into would be on the level of New Quarter Park in Williamsburg.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=791

I met this weekend with the city's DG guy with parks and rec and he is a fellow chucker. Score. Nice to not have to convince the guy why things needed to be done. Meeting went smoothly as he echoed everything we suggested as well as some other ideas to make the red tees more first timer friendly.

My topic for discussion is this:
What has worked for others in going from the planning stage of getting things done and getting to the point of getting your materials together and starting work? The idea behind the work is to get the course to a point where it will draw for leagues as well as the occasional tournie. This is grassroots and right now all we have is a few people willing to do the work. We need to generate capital, do some work, and show the city we are serious and they will hopefully give some money. Best option currently would be to try and hold an event at the local private course, with proceeds to go to course improvements. Anyone have any other stratagies that work ?

Basically I'm looking any direction with the "how" of raising money for course improvements. We have an idea of what needs to be done with the course, which is fairly minimal compared to what some on here have accomplished. Just looking for things that have worked for other clubs that are just getting going that have helped raise funds to start the work.

A league that plays every week with $1 or $2 that goes to course improvements. Get out there and do what can be done with no funds. Get a work group together and show the city you're willing to put the work in. Start with free projects. Trimming of fairways, raking flat the natural tees, any beautification that can be done with the work groups own tools. They see this and they may be more willing to give some funds. Scour craigslist for free items that may be used. You can sometime find benches and lumber for new tee marker boards at no cost. Just keep the slow train moving and it will gain speed.

Thanks kenjiac.

That's kind of the plan for the time being. Get the ball rolling to start some work this fall. Way too much posion ivy for me. Spraying doesn't seem to be an option because the course follows the "nature trail" that goes around the park. Our city contact has already said that they plan on cleaning up the undergrowth/ small trees.