• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sanding Down Gouges On Outer Edges of Disc

discmeettree

Par Member
Does anyone do this? I was looking at a couple of my discs (Stingray DX escpecially) and the outer rim is getting chewed to death by those pesky rock hazards at Mountain Crest. I was thinking it would fly smoother if I took a file or sand paper and cleaned it up.

What would be the result or would that make it not broken-in again?

Just wondering...............:)

I use lighters to barely melt the edge and mold it back together.

i do the same but also incorperate a 400 grit sand paper to file it down / melt / push down / sand / melt / push down etc etc

until it looks new again.

I carry a piece of one of those thin green Scotch pads for scrubbing dishes, that I cut in half. It's small and light, but those little suckers are tough enough to smooth down the sharp edge of a nick or gouge without being too abrasive. I saw a dude in a Grandmaster's group I was following at the KCWO bust one out and use it. It was genius. Leave it to a Grandmaster.

Sandpaper works for a while, but it's so thin it's a pain in the A to use and once you smooth out the grit it doesn't work anymore. I've had that same Scotch pad for 3 years. Give it a shot.

I use a fine metal sandpaper, but the Scotch green pads sound like they are worth a try.

Does it bring stability back to a disc that is getting understable from being beat in?

Does it bring back stability? No not really. I don't think there's anything that you can do to bring back stability to a beat disc.... maybe other than tuning? I wouldn't see where you would want to, though. The thing about beating a disc in is that you threw it a bunch to make it that way, and hopefully you learned something about how it flies and how you throw it that's useful to you along the way.

The exception is smacking something with DX/Pro D plastic. You can take a big chunk out of DX with one hit and it will be a completely different disc. It may not be uncontrollable or entirely useless, but you can go from overstable to fliptastic with one hit if it takes a chunk out and you won't have learned very much.

All you can really do is take the sharp edges off that are uncomfortable in your hand. Like smoothing down rash around the rim or nicks in the wing. I find it helps a lot with discs that have beads b/c inevitably they get banged up and get sharp edges. A little smoothing makes it more comfortable again, is all. I don't think that smoothing down a nick or gouge will ever affect the flight as much as the hit that made that gouge in the first place.

Does it bring stability back to a disc that is getting understable from being beat in?

Stability? No.

But....there's enough aerodynamic facts about resistance to realize that a fuzzy edged disc is going to lose its speed and glide just a bit sooner than a new disc. We do this with our kayak bottoms when they get good and fuzzy---a slow pass with a propane torch melts those fuzzies right back down, and the boat definitely feels slicker in the water.
Seems like a lighter is alright, and I've used drywall sanding cloth, but the Scotchpad idea seems great.
The PDGA probably would consider all this illegal, but they can't really prove anything unless you're seen doing it, and if you don't play tourneys, who cares?

Latest posts