• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Anomaly

ALPO

Par Member
I'm frustrated often Here is a rundown of my playing experience...Disclaimer: I tend to write lengthy, sorry.

First glimpse at disc golf was 15 years ago. I was 13 years old and my friends dad took us to play...all I remember is the drive, he drove like a mad man on a two lane road. 5 years later, age 18...we went back and started playing. I played off and on for recreation until about 7 months ago. When I changed jobs, lost friends, moved to a different city, I felt disc golf was something I had always enjoyed and could do solo. So I dusted off the old discs and came out sidearm swinging. Then got obsessed with improving my game. Even when we threw bidirectionally I always had a knack for getting impressive distance with sidearm technique. In summary, I used to play frisbee golf...now I play disc golf :clap:

These recent months I have scoured the internet for information, videos, equipment, course locations, reviews, etc. etc. etc. Also, I play as much as possible. Which consists of solo rounds, although every know and then I meet folks on the course and throw with them. Essentially though, my learning experience has been independent out on the course.

The part that kills me though...I can only throw sidearm. I place one finger on the rim and the edge of the disc rests on my middle finger. It's almost like a pencil grip (of death :gross:). Unfortunately for me, this means I cannot sidearm anything that doesn't have a wide rim. This limits my discs that I can sidearm to Max distance drivers and some fairway drivers. Put a Buzz or Shark in my hand and I cannot sidearm it at all...which may not be uncommon I don't know. Truth is, I don't see a lot of people on my local courses using mid-range. Not like what you guys talk about on here.

Anyways, once I knew I wanted to improve I knew it was time to grab some new discs. I researched and determined that a Nuke SS would be the best and longest disc I could use (I had previously only used Innova, and primarily a Valkyrie). Anyways, I have never seen as much immediate improvement in distance, accuracy, etc. in my game as when I got this disc. I stand by it 100%. Also, that same day I walked away with an Avenger and a SSS Voodoo.

I now have the capacity to drive 300-350 feet. And I have a sweet right hand forearm turnover shot that allows me to go left as opposed to right (the natural curve/fade for RHFH). I don't have the luxury of purchasing and using discs (broke) to see what fits my style. I can tell you the discs I have in my bag...because its the only discs I own.

My (book)bag:

What I use most frequent to least frequent: NukeSS-Z, Avenger-Z, Valkyrie-Champion, Boatman-VIP, Orc-Champ, XL-ESP, Blizzard Destroyer (mega distance, too easy for me to turnover),

What I can't throw: Wraith-Champ, Wraith DX, Shark DX, Buzzz ESP, Skeeter

100' and in: I've gotten better in this area, backhanding a Star Aviar and my Voodoo.

Nothing I read on here really translates to my specific game though. I don't get it. What people say about stability doesn't seem to translate to what I experience. The discs I use aren't what typical sidearm folks throw. I flat out cannot backhand with any consistency, etc. etc. I'm looking for any kind of help. I know this game is unique to everyone...but for me, I have been this way with everything btw...I have to understand it 100% or I always feel lost. Man, maybe I will publish a book on disc golf...because I feel like I'm so close sometimes, and then other times I feel like I'm never going to get "it" and by "it" I mean, the understanding of the discs, the mechanics, the wind, etc.

I have a Master's in aviation...you would think this wouldn't be that hard to understand. Anyways, I'd edit this post...but I'm leaving work not to go play :thmbup:

I see alot of newer players that don't even use mids. especially forehand players. I played my first 4 years all forehand. I suggest looking at different grips for forehand If you can only forehand wide rimmed drivers. I can sidearm my kc pro aviars out to about 160 feet acurratly. So any disc can be thrown forehand.

Find people that are better than you. Watch them, ask questions, play with them. I don't think you will ever get a full grasp on a lot of the techniques and styles discussed on here unless you see it in person.

Nothing I read on here really translates to my specific game though. I don't get it. What people say about stability doesn't seem to translate to what I experience.
What differences do you see? Without anything more specific my guess is all you'll get is a bunch of generic advice on where to find information.

For example:

The instructional articles on Disc Golf Review might help out. Any of the stickies on this site or there in the forums might help, too.

If the discs aren't flying as described, then you aren't throwing them as intended. Either you're throwing discs that are too fast, too overstable, or too understable or there are flaws in your form that cause the discs to fly differently than expected.

Find people that are better than you. Watch them, ask questions, play with them. I don't think you will ever get a full grasp on a lot of the techniques and styles discussed on here unless you see it in person.

I play with people all the time...random people, friends of friends, (I'm playing 4 days a week on average, weather permitting) but where do I find the people that are better than me?

I've seen a few...but they tend to have their own clique round here. Tournaments are in my future for sure. Maybe that will be the next step...thanks for the thoughts guys.

Most people that talk about throwing sidearm on the internet aren't actually very good at it. They throw crazy overstable discs to cover up wrist roll and OAT. If your sidearm is clean, you probably shouldn't listen to their advice.

I haven't been playing very long, but I play 5 times a week on average. Up until 4 months ago, I was primarily FH off the Tee and now I'm 75% BH depending on the hole. When I first started, I could only FH drivers and now I can throw any disc FH. You should go out with just that buzzz and try to throw it FH. Focus on a clean flat throw and don't worry about distance at first. Experiment with different grips and see what works. I found that two fingers on the rim give me the cleanest release and most power. Once you can FH mids, work on getting a clean release with the aviar. This will help you get to the next, but you'll eventually need to learn BH to see major improvements in your game.

You need to learn a backhand. Im not trying to act like a know it all but its just a need. Unless you have something stoping you, you should get out to a field and start. You need to start nice and easy.

Disc down to some midranges and work on FHing them. It's though, a lot tougher than BHing, but I feel it's a necessity.

I agree that the best advice is definitely to get out and play tournaments and try to find people better than you to play with. Watching videos can be helpful too, but seeing someone with clean technique in person really gives you an idea of what a disc can do when thrown properly and how easy it can be to make it do that with the right form.

You're not too much of an anomaly, forehand is a strange animal. You can get away with a lot of poor technique through sheer arm speed, and I've seen all sorts of different release angles. I'm still a forehand dominant player myself, trying to add as much backhanding as I can. I would definitely recommend trying to sidearm slower and slower discs to work on your technique. You mention you can't forehand your Buzz but what weight is it?

I would recommend getting the heaviest mids/putters you can find, it will make the transition to the slower discs easier because at least they'll still be on the overstable side. Right now when I need to FH an approach during a round I use a 180 Roc, a 175 Buzz, or a 177 Vibram Ridge. Throwing these discs will make you focus more on spinning the disc rather than throwing it fast. That will lead to improvements in your game, as you'll be able to control your disc on a lot more lines with your FH. Always consider that when working on your game, if there is a line you can't throw try to figure out a way to throw it. And yea, start working on that backhand.

You need to learn a backhand. Im not trying to act like a know it all but its just a need. Unless you have something stoping you, you should get out to a field and start. You need to start nice and easy.

I disagree, I have recently committed myself to be a FH dominant player and am finding great success. It actually hurt my game for a while when I was obsessed with developing a backhand.

Its good to have a serviceable backhand, but from my experience I am much more consistent when I commit to playing a 75/25 FH/BH type game.

Mids are difficult to throw FH at first, but once you start learning the technique it becomes very rewarding. I learned how to Flick on the overstable fast stuff and still prefer it due to its predictability, but can flick a Buzz to about 250' and a an Ion to 200'.

My best advice for learning how to flick stable mids is to pretend like your elbow is connected to your hip. Literally press it against your body so only your wrist can pivot. This makes sure you are not using too much arm in your mid-range flicks. Once you get a feel for the touch you can start using a little bit of arm to compliment the wrist snap.

Last edited:
This is great stuff. Right now my most accurate mid range shot is a sidearm toss with an Avenger. I am almost as accurate with my putter thrown backhand from 75 to 100 feet but sometimes I just miss my aim and cost myself a shot.

Based on the advice given here I'm going to continue to develop, or attempt to develop a backhand for midrange and a sidearm midrange. I know this is a necessity because my midrange game is non-existent due to form and disc selection not being agreeable. Drives are just going to be sidearm only for now...maybe if I can develop a decent backhand technique for midrange shots I can apply it in some degree to my shots off the tee.

But seriously, my backhand drives are so bad...straight up in the air with the hang time of a punt and the glide of a dead duck. It's an embarrassing shot but what kills me is every now and then I will get one right. I just know learning a solid backhand is the only way I am going to get better...but it literally feels like progress is impossible. But as much time as i devote to the sport, only 1% of it may be learning backhand

Hey Alpo, I am assuming you are from Memphis, TN. If that is the case then you need to start coming to some of the leagues that we have. It is a good way to meet better players and learn from them.

Sunday - Shelby Forest @ 10am - Bud Hill @ 1pm (*must have Bud Hill tag)
Monday - Slaw Dog Doubles, Johnson Road Park @ 5pm
Tuesday - Edmund Orgill @ 5pm (handicapped singles league)
Wednesday - Shelby Forest 5pm?(singles or doubles)
Thursday - Shelby Farms @ 5pm (handicapped singles league)

If you have any questions about the leagues let me know and hopefully I can answer them.

Hey Alpo, I am assuming you are from Memphis, TN. If that is the case then you need to start coming to some of the leagues that we have. It is a good way to meet better players and learn from them.

Sunday - Shelby Forest @ 10am - Bud Hill @ 1pm (*must have Bud Hill tag)
Monday - Slaw Dog Doubles, Johnson Road Park @ 5pm
Tuesday - Edmund Orgill @ 5pm (handicapped singles league)
Wednesday - Shelby Forest 5pm?(singles or doubles)
Thursday - Shelby Farms @ 5pm (handicapped singles league)

If you have any questions about the leagues let me know and hopefully I can answer them.

Skybolt, thanks for the info -- I was looking for a Memphis league schedule a few weeks ago but couldn't find it anywhere. I'm glad I happened to glance at this thread.

Latest posts