• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing 600+ (was 550) and want to reach the next level

Really nice to see examples of longevity with the backhand like him. I also feel for a lot of the touring pros though, between the inconsistent sleep and diet situation + lack of access to consistent strength training equipment, it must be harder to maintain general strength and joint integrity for most, especially in the context of the repetitive asymmetric loading they see.
I had never watched Brown throw a full round and wanted to put this here so you/others might watch him head to head with some young guns.

Lot of them have a Planet Fitness membership
Wouldn't doubt that's at least partially so they can use the showers there, while living out of a van for extended periods of time.

I realize they get to motels and Air BnB's, but no doubt some of the lesser compensated touring pros are still on a tight budget, and spend a lot of nights in vans. A Planet Fitness membership is a cheap way for van lifers to get a hot shower in pretty much any town, any time.

Sorry for the thread drift!

Last edited:
I read SW's comment and was watching your shift again. At the very last moment your front foot/hip is leaking a bit open - more evidence of part of the horse stance. I think the way your rear hip/knee are leaking open in the backswing is the same thing in the opposite direction. You never quite balance like Steve Pratt.

I think moves that maximize shifting off the rear side and landing in braced tilt with the plant more squared up/feet remaining neutral might be good for you. Maybe kick the ball specifically because it forces you to let your entire body get momentarily airborne in the athletic tilt/drift with gravity for just a moment with a strong shift/crush. As part of the move, need to work on "pushing off a dock" or "pushing the ground away directly behind you" or " push and drag" as SW is having me work on now. Then bring it into your stride:

I read SW's comment and was watching your shift again. At the very last moment your front foot/hip is leaking a bit open - more evidence of part of the horse stance. I think the way your rear hip/knee are leaking open in the backswing is the same thing in the opposite direction. You never quite balance like Steve Pratt.

I think moves that maximize shifting off the rear side and landing in braced tilt with the plant more squared up/feet remaining neutral might be good for you. Maybe kick the ball specifically because it forces you to let your entire body get momentarily airborne in the athletic tilt/drift with gravity for just a moment with a strong shift/crush. As part of the move, need to work on "pushing off a dock" or "pushing the ground away directly behind you" or " push and drag" as SW is having me work on now. Then bring it into your stride:

I actually really like that drill sw is doing in that gif, can even rep it out a after my putter stand throws and before my x-step throws to get the sensation of staying squared up for that dynamic tilted brace.

It kind of reminds me of a football or basketball lateral move where you have to keep your force vectors inside the insteps to maintain balance and leverage. I bet it will naturally force my feet and hips into more athletic angles since you gotta have the feet squared up to use the big hip muscles for lateral moves, horse stance makes it quad dominant and way less athletic.

I actually really like that drill sw is doing in that gif, can even rep it out a after my putter stand throws and before my x-step throws to get the sensation of staying squared up for that dynamic tilted brace.

It kind of reminds me of a football or basketball lateral move where you have to keep your force vectors inside the insteps to maintain balance and leverage. I bet it will naturally force my feet and hips into more athletic angles since you gotta have the feet squared up to use the big hip muscles for lateral moves, horse stance makes it quad dominant and way less athletic.
Yes, I'm obviously still not fully integrating it into my own move but this all tracks. The linebacker/basketballer lateral move and changing direction is also a good example. Some people seem to get it faster striding tight and horizontal, others need to kick thru into the hop, etc. My guess is you'll feel it faster with a little more kick and hop this time. The shift feels way more balanced and abrupt when it's working.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm obviously still not fully integrating it into my own move but this all tracks. The linebacker/basketballer lateral move and changing direction is also a good example. Some people seem to get it faster striding tight and horizontal, others need to kick thru into the hop, etc. My guess is you'll feel it faster with a little more kick and hop this time. The shift feels way more balanced and abrupt when it's working.
Noted!

Recorded a really fun field session (with a 360 side view at 21:35 into the video). Also with a shoutout/thank you to @sidewinder22 and @Brychanus at 8:05 into the video :)

More time stamps:
Video intro: 0:08
Putter standstill warmups from 350ft-390ft: 2:20
X-step driver warmups from 410ft-550ft: 6:45
Vlog series intro: 7:40
X-step drivers up to 580ft: 13:45
First 360 bombs: 16:45
630ft throw: 18:00
600ft throw: 18:36
79mph side view: 21:35
610ft throw: 21:45
605ft throw: 24:45
Video outro: 25:40

Anyways, I really gotta fix that nose angle on the 360's by finding a way to lower my reachback like I do on my x-step. Killing so much velocity in the early phase of flight and losing D as a result.

Thanks for the shout-out!

In general you seem to be too over your toes, but I think that might just part of how you naturally walk around more on your toes than most other people. You also appear to be ER hip dominant and/or limited IR RoM like Brodie Smith as you plant quite open. I'd work on Toe Down Hip Swings/Kick the Can/Double Dragon/Swivel Stairs planting the whole front side/pelvis more turned back as the heel lands. Note how Simon's rear knee is hanging more underneath his pelvis with rear hip hinged and dropped lower than front hip and foot/shin more angulated like Swivel Stairs and Swivel Chair Drill.
Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 11.29.05 PM.png

Might help to pump the disc out around behind you more. Also watch how Nikko does his 360 moving more rightward while throwing leftward - IMO it's easier to change direction this way offset, rather than moving right to left in the same direction as the trajectory.
Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 11.16.38 PM.png

Thanks for the shout-out!

In general you seem to be too over your toes, but I think that might just part of how you naturally walk around more on your toes than most other people. You also appear to be ER hip dominant and/or limited IR RoM like Brodie Smith as you plant quite open. I'd work on Toe Down Hip Swings/Kick the Can/Double Dragon/Swivel Stairs planting the whole front side/pelvis more turned back as the heel lands. Note how Simon's rear knee is hanging more underneath his pelvis with rear hip hinged and dropped lower than front hip and foot/shin more angulated like Swivel Stairs and Swivel Chair Drill.
View attachment 330552

Might help to pump the disc out around behind you more. Also watch how Nikko does his 360 moving more rightward while throwing leftward - IMO it's easier to change direction this way offset, rather than moving right to left in the same direction as the trajectory.
View attachment 330551

Thank you for the analysis! You are spot on, I was a big-time toe-walker as a child and have recently been trying to find a more balanced grounding strategy, and certainly have more ER hips anatomically (still actively working to mobilize my IR ability throughout the week).

Looking at that frame I can see how Simon is bracing much more effectively on his 360 and likely using the posterior chain better. And noted on the pelvis/hips.

I need to try the more outside reachback like what Simon is doing. My 360 reachback still feels so unnatural so hopefully this will feel better and lower my reachback as well.

Also, I never noticed that offset approach angle the top guys are using until you mentioned it here - but also going to try that next time out. Looks like a much more natural way to flow into the plant!