• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Scorch

Picked up a domey ESP Scorch last weekend and finally had a chance to throw it.

The glide is real and I would say the -2/2 flight is pretty accurate. Seems to fly fast for a speed 11 disc if that makes sense.

I do have to say that the people who talk about how it kind of dumps at the end of the flight make a good point. It did seem like when it was done flying it just wanted to get down.

FWIW I've thrown about a half dozen of the Great Lakes Disc's Cryztal FLX scorches and they're all noticeably less stable than any of the Z/MJ ESP stuff we had for testing. one of my buddies has a jaw breaker scorch that's been in his bag since he got it at LIS last year and that's the flippiest but obviously beats in fast.

I can get my scorches out to about 330'-350' and for me the Cryztal FLX are flying like a 0/0 or -1/1 ish type flight depending on angle and height. If you've thrown something like a Mako3 or Leopard3 imagine the fast version of that and that's about what I'm seeing.
My buddy throws his closer to 420-450' and he's seeing more of a -2/1 -2/0 type of flight, using it for hyzer flip straight shots or turnovers that still have just a little finish at the end of the flight.

I would say these will likely kick my proto hades out of the bag but I still need to get some more time on the course with them to know for sure.

Around here I can pretty much bag 3 Scorches to cover all my distance shots, an MJ scorch for that stable (at my distance) Wraith like flight, good for about as much wind as we ever see or when I need no turn and some hard fade/dump at the end of flight. The trusty blue first run that gets just a hint of turn/stand up to cover lots of distance, but still fades a bit at the end of the flight, and now a Cryztal FLX for the max distance, tailwinds, turning shots, or flip up shots

The Scorch is weird as hell. Its wing is completely convex ala a Roadrunner or Heat, yet it's nowhere near as understable as them. The Z ones I tried fly rather neutral with maybe a hair of flip and a larger fade.

This is my experience as well. My Scorch is a domey Z, and it is not a versatile driver. If it stays in my bag it will be for one shot only. If I throw it with a touch of anhyzer it turns softly and rises until it starts to fade and then it swoops hard finishing well across the line of my throw. If you want an understable driver from Discraft, I recommend the Thrasher; better feel and performance.

pQNrcyO.jpg

Anyone outside of Michigan getting runs of the UV color change Scorch? They're so pretty when they color in - and they change so much faster than the old Photon-UV plastic did. This shade of purple came in from the white color in a matter of maybe 5 seconds...

Played a couple rounds with the UV Scorches so far, and I've really been pleased. They're pretty similar to my ESP tour series one, with a bit more flip and glide to them. I'll need to throw them more, to see where each shines, to know if I'm going to keep both in my bag - but either way, well worth a toss!

esp flx scorch has passed my, i lost 2 but bought a third test. easy distance, turns pushing forward and the plastic feels great. imo comparable to a halo mamba

3 month update on those UV Scorches (and all the other UV plastic Discraft discs from this generation).

Looks like the UV coloring breaks down over time. While I used to get a nice violet, now it's just Lavender. Same has been happening with the UV Buzzzes and Passions my friends have.

Still flies like a bomber, though :D

I picked up a light (164-166g stickered) ESP Scorch, and it's been just incredible for tailwinds and turnovers - as long as I can give it enough height. I've thrown both of my longest drives post-transition with it!

Now I just need to learn to keep it under control (it's really flippy) before the Oakland County Championships this fall, so I've got a flippy weapon in my arsenal at the Toboggan! :D