• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Several Months!

simpletwist

* Ace Member *
Just got back from the ortho surgeon's. Surgery on the rotator cuff on the 27th. 6 weeks before I can do light exercise. Recovery could take several months. Not playing again till summer? This is gonna kill me. Good news is our Ice Bowl is this weekend and if I'm gonna miss several months it might as well be winter and early spring. I plan on being a model patient especially with the rehabilitation.

When this thing heals right, look out youngins!

Grab a time machine and get this done last November. You'll be ready to go by spring. (At first glance I thought your timing really sucks---we'll be well into spring by then---but then I noted your location).

My condolences. Follow through with the model patient in rehab so you never have to go through it again. Plus, once you've suffered through a long layoff, you'll be ever more grateful to be able to play.

Bummer bro, I wish you a speedy recovery.

The great thing about disc golf is even if you can't play there's always options for staying involved in the sport.
Tournaments, leagues, course maintenance, ALWAYS short on volunteers. Still sucks not being able to throw but helping the local scene is so much more rewarding.

Once you're approved for light exercise, would throwing (or at least putting) off-handed be kosher with your doc?

I mean, it might look comical at first, but given enough practice, you might have another shot added to your arsenal by the time you're fully healed.

I feel ya'. I had surgery on my right (throwing) wrist in spring of 2011 and didn't play for a whole year.

Theres a guy in elk grove ca that i was playing in the monthly with and i noticed he was carrying his bag with his throwing arm. Since im so smart i asked him why he would disadvantage himself in such a way, even though he was kicking my ass. He went on to tell me how he had blown up his shoulder years ago so he taught himself to throw left handed. Did i mention he was kicking my ass? I couldnt even tell he was using his non-dominant hand. My point is youll probably be fine.....i mean if you wake up from the anasthesia.

Good luck with your recovery! I think it's the right move to take the doc's advice seriously, totally not worth making things worse and setting yourself up for an even longer downtime.

I haven't been to a doctor but I think my shoulder is trashed. Can't afford a surgery so if it doesn't work this spring, I may have to give LH a try. Too bad I never even got good RH yet.

Heal well, and don't push it, and what Scarpfish said. A few people on this site have cited an injury as the reason they can do certain things with their off hand, and that's gotta be useful every once in a while.

I did the shoulder surgery in 2004 (torn labrum). I'm not very diligent taking care of my health---but I followed the rehab religiously. If I was going through all that pain, expense, and layoff, I wanted it to WORK.

I haven't been able to play sence August. I can tell you all about going insane from a lack of disc golf.

Bleayaofnewgodioalgioisnl fjaoi sjotis wlie.

I was laid up from mid november through march a couple of years ago (had a hole in my lung that required a thoracotomy). It sucked, but I took that time to learn how to actually throw a disc properly. I went over my form with a friend of mine and by april I was starting to implement the proper technique when I was able to start throwing again. I'm not the most patient individual, but I will say when your body is not able to perform.....you will learn real quick how to be patient (because you have no choice). Its almost easier that way (atleast for me)........Anyways after about 4 months I was throwing almost 100ft farther than I was before my injury. Definitely give your body the proper rest/rehab it needs, but also become a student of the game. There is a lot to this game to learn (thats what makes it so great!)

Once you're approved for light exercise, would throwing (or at least putting) off-handed be kosher with your doc?

I mean, it might look comical at first, but given enough practice, you might have another shot added to your arsenal by the time you're fully healed.

I only do 2 things with my right hand. Shaking hands and the other isn't putting. :eek:

I've tried putting but I look like I have some sort of spastic brain defect.

I like the time machine idea and I should do some volunteering. Caddy for the wife too.

Latest posts