• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Sexton Firebirds

I know new OP asked, but you know what's even easier? Stock stamps.

Buy a Sexton to support a pro you like sure, but if you're hunting down 2017 runs he's not seeing a dollar from that resale. Random Jabroni is.

Don't totally disagree with you, but the sextons do at least seem to be pretty consistent, so you know what you're getting more or less. Stock stamps can be hit or miss in terms of dome, so you have to buy them in person to get what you're looking for.

If a sexton is what he wants, my rec is always just buy a couple of the most recent run, learn how they throw, and when you lose them or stop liking them, buy another couple of whatever current run. The differences are subtle at best, they all mellow out reasonably fast for a firebird, and they seem to be making plenty of them these days. Absolutely agree on not needing to pay $$$ for a specific year.

I know new OP asked, but you know what's even easier? Stock stamps.

Buy a Sexton to support a pro you like sure, but if you're hunting down 2017 runs he's not seeing a dollar from that resale. Random Jabroni is.
I mean I read the post as him saying his buddy has a bunch of Sextons and him trying to figure out which year to try to talk his buddy out of. :\

Don't totally disagree with you, but the sextons do at least seem to be pretty consistent, so you know what you're getting more or less. Stock stamps can be hit or miss in terms of dome, so you have to buy them in person to get what you're looking for.

If a sexton is what he wants, my rec is always just buy a couple of the most recent run, learn how they throw, and when you lose them or stop liking them, buy another couple of whatever current run. The differences are subtle at best, they all mellow out reasonably fast for a firebird, and they seem to be making plenty of them these days. Absolutely agree on not needing to pay $$$ for a specific year.

I agree, though one year the Stock mold for a Sexton Firebird was an FAF, easier to get that then Wade through discs to get the mold one wants.

yes but when random jabroni makes 50 bucks reselling a disc, an insane demand is made for new runs of that disc which drives sales and production which makes said Jabroni buy and resell more, creating inflated/artificial demand.

...Which does help fill Nate's pockets some Jabronis pockets.

FTFM.

It's like scalping tickets. Why should someone be able to buy 20 of a limited 250 run? Or whatever the numbers? Those people cause non-collectors to pay out the ass or switch discs. How many people buying seven 2018 Sextons actually throw all seven?

You know what? They are collectables, not stock discs. Watching Innova pros, most of them do fine with stock Firebirds. If folks want to play the market/make a living selling frisbees, why not?

The pros make their bonus no matter who buys them.

I just wanna play, and all that stuff. A DD3 is as good as a "Cloud Breaker" for that.

There is nothing uniquely great about a Sexton FB IMO. Firebird is a good disc, and they made a few nice runs with the dudes name on them in CG plastic. I've thrown three years of them and FAFs and flat pearly ones are more uniquely good to me.

Unpopular opinion here but the best "Firebird" on the market today is the Neutron Flare. $12-15 and they all fly and feel almost identical.

There is nothing uniquely great about a Sexton FB IMO. Firebird is a good disc, and they made a few nice runs with the dudes name on them in CG plastic. I've thrown three years of them and FAFs and flat pearly ones are more uniquely good to me.

The big appeal for Sexybirds flight-wise is that they're always flat and aren't quite as OS as most stock Firebirds. So basically a flat FB that's already been broken in for you. That's more useful to the common player than most tour discs, which are usually just colorful, more-stable versions of stock runs.

Having said that, there are plenty of great options for that flight if you don't want to pay Sexybird prices. The Draco, Raptor, and FD3 all cover this flight just as well.

Having said that, there are plenty of great options for that flight if you don't want to pay Sexybird prices. The Draco, Raptor, and FD3 all cover this flight just as well.
Is it OK for me to keep using Predators for that? Or is that too 2005?

The thing I like about the Sexybirds are that they are flat. I bag a 17 and have a couple 20's that will find their way into the bag eventually. I also really like the color glow plastic. They just feel really good in the hand. I seem to get the cleanest release on a FH over any other disc I have tried. I also have been lucky enough to get all mine at retail and I don't think I would pay much over that for one.

I have multiple early runs of Sexton FBs and I wouldn't consider a single one a "flat" Firebird. The only Firebirds that I think of as flat are the FAF Champs and the occasional Star. Those are almost a different mold compared to a Sexton FB.

Yeah, 2015's were definitely not flat. I've not owned Sexton's from every year, and even within years there are reports of varying flatness, but I have owned tournament stamped color glows since 2015. Only ones that I'd remotely consider close to FAF were some mid 160s from 2016. Pretty much board flat and gummy.

Sexton has said on record he wanted more workable firebirds. Little bit of variation between years as to be expected but I personally wouldn't buy a Sexton on the assumption it was going to be flat.

The sextons aren't flat a la FAF firebirds, they're just not super domey as some of the more recent runs of stock stamp champs have been. They're consistently mellow domed and very workable in contrast to the stock runs, which can be all over the place. FAF is it's own thing, and the sextons aren't that.

Hey FYI I find color glows ala Sextons to be great, mellow firebirds. I really dig the slightly domey Star FB in 167g I picked up recently for the chillier, wetter months. Nice and mellow, little better grip, still some ground play as opposed to say, gstar.

Is there a way to tell Sexton Firebirds apart? I've found a couple over the years and would love to know if they are an earlier or later edition.

Is there a way to tell Sexton Firebirds apart? I've found a couple over the years and would love to know if they are an earlier or later edition.

Yes. The stamps change each year.
I hope I have got these all correct.

Rare-Brand-New-Blue-2015-Sexton-Tour-Series.jpg

DI_ea59acfd-4ff5-4b28-92e9-495d1d242e36DSC06588.jpg

175459_Def.jpg

2018_Tour_Sexton_Firebird_2.jpg

INLE-19TS-NS-NGCE-Firebird_1400x.JPG

INLE-20TSNS-NGCE-Firebird_1400x.jpg

Latest posts