• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Shimmer Star Plastic

It will be difficult to get a consistent understanding of how discs fly in shimmer star.

I am pretty sure there have been several variants of shimmer star plastic.

The only shimmer star discs I have felt (own one, felt two others) are as stiff as Champion plastic. But there are lots of people on the internet saying regular star is stiffer than shimmer.

It will be difficult to get a consistent understanding of how discs fly in shimmer star.

I am pretty sure there have been several variants of shimmer star plastic.

The only shimmer star discs I have felt (own one, felt two others) are as stiff as Champion plastic. But there are lots of people on the internet saying regular star is stiffer than shimmer.

I'm starting to agree with this. The 2019 KJ Birds feel nearly indistinguishable from current run of star, whereas I've felt some that are fairly still. Haven't felt any that are GStar soft, but I'm sure they're out there.

Most of the Shimmer Star I've thrown has been sheer beef. The only exception is a Rhyno I have which I feel is absolutely perfect. It has the low glide of the Rhyno but doesn't suddenly fade as my others do. It's more of a forward fade that still fades the same, just goes a few extra feet.

sooooo in summary
the colors suck (but maybe not the newer runs)
the plastic sucks (but not really if person has only thrown one disc in it)

shimmer star discs may be more HSS and less glide or are much more OS than their regular star counterparts (something about flying like a 4x PMB Destroyer)

the last part might have been helpful but I don't know what a 4x PMP (or 3 line AJ) Destroyer flies like

so here's my solution
I'll avoid the shimmer star Shyrke I was looking at. If I want a more HSS Shryke I'll get another Pharaoh

I have a shimmer star Firebird. Luckily it's purplish instead of gold or silver or bronze, so finding it isn't a huge issue. It's less overstable than the luster Firebird or the Glow C Line FD3 I sometimes toss in for that slot.

sooooo in summary
the colors suck (but maybe not the newer runs)
the plastic sucks (but not really if person has only thrown one disc in it)

shimmer star discs may be more HSS and less glide or are much more OS than their regular star counterparts

My experience has been Shimmer is typically at the stability of Star to a little bit more. Luster, I've found, is like extreme Champion: less glide and more stable.

The biggest problem in this debate is that not one single Innova disc is like another. They are like snowflakes. So one guy loves it, one hates it. Those ppl could swap discs and probably have opposite opinions. It's insane, really....

The biggest problem in this debate is that not one single Innova disc is like another. They are like snowflakes. So one guy loves it, one hates it. Those ppl could swap discs and probably have opposite opinions. It's insane, really....

No manufacturer is that inconsistent. The logical extension to what you are saying is that one disc is too small a sample size to draw any conclusion about a mold/plastic.

If the only NFL game I saw this season was the Super Bowl, I could come to the conclusion that offense is at an all time low. If I only saw Mike Tyson fight Buster Douglas, I might conclude that Iron Mike sucked. These are 100% wrong conclusions to draw. This shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp.

These reviews of shimmer star sound a lot like my experience with swirled star TBs: generally OS and lack of glide. Swirled Star just doesn't go that far. (Sample size 6 Nybo TBs, some 10x some 11x).

Does anyone know what the relation between shimmer star and Swirled star is? Shimmer looks a bit like G Star, which I haven't loved either, for different reasons.

No manufacturer is that inconsistent. The logical extension to what you are saying is that one disc is too small a sample size to draw any conclusion about a mold/plastic.

If the only NFL game I saw this season was the Super Bowl, I could come to the conclusion that offense is at an all time low. If I only saw Mike Tyson fight Buster Douglas, I might conclude that Iron Mike sucked. These are 100% wrong conclusions to draw. This shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp.

You don't think there is even a little truth to my statement? How do you explain 10 different and contradictory explanations as to how the plastic feels and/or flys?

I will admit to exaggerating a touch, but think about it.....

You don't think there is even a little truth to my statement? How do you explain 10 different and contradictory explanations as to how the plastic feels and/or flys?

I will admit to exaggerating a touch, but think about it.....

Innova is notorious for having inconsistency problems. Different runs will feel and fly differently, they don't have endless supplies of the same plastic. They don't use temperature controlled facilities to manufacture discs.

How does any of that info invalidate my point about sample size. The more variation across a mold the larger a sample size you need to draw a reasonable conclusion about a mold. If someone try's a disc once and hates it that's fine. As long as they don't turn around and say that whole mold is useless. It would be like trying menudo once and then saying all Mexican food sucks.

These reviews of shimmer star sound a lot like my experience with swirled star TBs: generally OS and lack of glide. Swirled Star just doesn't go that far. (Sample size 6 Nybo TBs, some 10x some 11x).

Does anyone know what the relation between shimmer star and Swirled star is? Shimmer looks a bit like G Star, which I haven't loved either, for different reasons.

Shimmer is like taking the worst of Star and GStar and combining them.

Swirly Star (at least the sample size of several Leopard3 and Terns I possess) is firm like Star, sometimes really firm and slick like Champy-Star, and may have some of the material that Echostar was made out of. Swirly Star is not bad material.

My SS Terns are Hannah Leatherman Terns and were molded up to be more OS on purpose, per HL's request. The Swirly Star Leo3s fly a lot like regular Star and Champion Leo3s.

Innova is notorious for having inconsistency problems. Different runs will feel and fly differently, they don't have endless supplies of the same plastic. They don't use temperature controlled facilities to manufacture discs.

How does any of that info invalidate my point about sample size. The more variation across a mold the larger a sample size you need to draw a reasonable conclusion about a mold. If someone try's a disc once and hates it that's fine. As long as they don't turn around and say that whole mold is useless. It would be like trying menudo once and then saying all Mexican food sucks.

I'm not saying any one mold sucks. I'm saying that it's hard to discuss the merits of a plastic when not one person describes it the same. Person A hates it cuz it's floppy and tacky, another guy says it's stiff and slick, another that it's tacky and firm....

That's the point I'm getting at.

I never once said anything about a particular mold, and I agree it's silly to pass bad judgement after trying only disc of a particular mold.

Last edited:
I'm not saying any one mold sucks. I'm saying that it's hard to discuss the merits of a plastic when not one person describes it the same. Person A hates it cuz it's floppy and tacky, another guy says it's stiff and slick, another that it's tacky and firm....

I never once said anything about a particular mold, and I agree it's silly to pass bad judgement after trying only disc of a particular mold.

Could it be that Shimmer Star does not mold up the same ever?

I agree. It isn't worth arguing over. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on discs/plastic. Not everyone will have the same thoughts on what makes a disc great (or not).

Threw one of my Shimmer Star 2019 Nybo today. I'll have more rounds to go by later, but so far I'm liking it. It's similar to my old PFN where it has a full 5 glide. It wasn't hooking in on the fade at the end, more of a veering off into the 2 fade.. I couldn't toss it beyond 315' due to course limitations (wooded course).

Compared it to a (relatively new) Star Eagle and an (new) Icon Rival. Eagle was more stable and the Rival had less Glide. Hopefully I'll have time to make it to longer course and toss it more this weekend.

Also - Gstar is the best plastic Innova makes, I contend anybody who thinks it's floppy in the heat has never touched one in the heat (Source: From Texas, near the coast). ��
I fully concede they have a malleable flight plate.

Just scooped up a 2019 Barfield Open Shimmer Star Destroyer. Not sure which "run" this is but I just pulled 8 destroyers off my wall to compare and it has both the highest PLH and the flattest profile. It most resembles my 2018 Brinster Star Destroyer in PLH (but oh so slightly higher) and profile (oh so slightly flatter). I haven't thrown this OR the Brinster but I imagine this is a beefy destroyer and a power forehander's dream. I'm a power backhander, soooo, maybe it slides in to take my OS Driver spot. I see potential.

The feel is excellent, right up my alley. Slightly flexier than Star, not quite GStar. Looks great too. So pearlyyyy. I accept the silver color because I think it's light enough to dye and make it pop a little more.

3 years since the last message in this thread... Any more knowledge of old shimmer stars destroyers gathered over the years? (I'm not hip enough to call em destros. Not yet anyway)

Edit: I have no idea why these pictures are showing up sideways, I apologize

Attachments

• 20221203_144409.jpg
    20221203_144409.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20221203_144524.jpg
    20221203_144524.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: