• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoe in for the job

gsklein

All things considered, tee pad type, terrain, weather. What have you found to be the best shoe to wear while playing? I have worn alot of different shoes to play including boots in winter but my list has stopped growing. In the no snow months my list goes like this. Mind you I have become partial to Merrell shoes because they seem to outlast anything else I have played in. And the Vibram rubber rocks! Northface is an exceptional shoe also.

All around any tee type dry and wet weather-Intercept GORE-TEX® by Merrell.

Summer shoe in dry weather on hard surface tee pads, nice in hot weather.-WaterPro Ottawa by Merrell.

Soft pads, grass, dirt or mulch and wet weather- HEDGEHOG GTX XCR-BOA. by NorthFace.

All of these have Vibram soles and wear well including holding up to the side torque from an X-step run up and pivot fallow thru.

I don't have any advice here. I usually find something cheap and replace it 2x a year. Our course is pretty rough so even great boots don't have a chance if you play a few times a week. I learned that the hard way.

I did want to congratulate you on the title of your thread. It's punderful.

I love my Merrell Gore-tex Moabs, they've lasted through a full two years of heavy disc golfing, and still have great grip on the sole.

All around any tee type dry and wet weather-Intercept GORE-TEX® by Merrell.

Summer shoe in dry weather on hard surface tee pads, nice in hot weather.-WaterPro Ottawa by Merrell.

Soft pads, grass, dirt or mulch and wet weather- HEDGEHOG GTX XCR-BOA. by NorthFace.

I am digging those Ottawa ones! I may have to look into them.

i have the cheap off brand crocs from walmart lol.... i play at least four times a week in all kinds of conditions and they hold out just fine

Right now I am playing in lightweight Nike Air Pegasus they breathe well in the heat. Air Trax work well too for the same reason. I get new tennis shoes at least every 6 months as they get beat down in a hurry, so ask in 6 months and my answer could be different.

B5 Approach Shoes by La Sportiva - they are sturdy like a hiking boot - have a good rubber toe so they dont wear out when i drag my toe on backhands plus they are low tops. I think short grass is about the only thing they can slip on - but so does just about everything i've worn - most courses i play dont have grass so its a non issue.

I have played 5+ years and many hundreds of rounds. By far, the best DG shoes I have had are the Goretex Merrell Chameleon. The thick rubber on the toe and lateral side of the foot does not shred like so many other shoes I have tried. I recently tried to reinvent the wheel and got a pair of Goretex Saloman XA Pro 3D Ultra and they were falling apart in less than a month. Thankfully I got them from REI and they exchanged them free of cost.

All of these have Vibram soles and wear well including holding up to the side torque from an X-step run up and pivot fallow thru.

I have a pair of Northface Hedgehogs that have a 4 inch tear inside the right foot and the tread is completely worn flat after about 15 months of disc golf. They got me about 400 rounds of dg though. I was expecting more for the $110 I payed. I will not purchase another pair for disc golf and wouldn't recommend them.

Merrell Pivots have been the best I've used so far for DG. hell they've been the best shoes I've ever had, period.

I recently tried to reinvent the wheel and got a pair of Goretex Saloman XA Pro 3D Ultra and they were falling apart in less than a month.

Thats really too bad as that model is usually excellent. And I say that with confidence as someone who works at a store in the Colorado Mountains that sells an absolute sh|tload of those (both mens and womens) and also handles all defective returns for the store.

I see Salomon come back less than any other footwear brand, especially the XA and XT series.

I wear the Salmon XA Comp 3 GTX and love the hell out of them. They got me through a wet and muddy (post snowstorm) round at CMC Glenwood Springs today without messing up my approach even once. No slipping on the tees, mud or grass. No wet feet at all, and they shed mud easily.

And I say that with confidence as someone who works at a store in the Colorado Mountains that sells an absolute sh|tload of those (both mens and womens) and also handles all defective returns for the store.

So klay, here's a question for you as someone in the biz: I'm 45, way overweight, and have relatively weak ankles. I have wide feet (size 9.5W seems to work best for me from most manufacturers) and an extremely high instep (never have been able to wear cowboy boots). When not playing disc golf, I typically wear New Balance walking or trail running shoes, though for the last several months I've been very fond of a pair of Columbia TrailMeister IVs in a wide width I found on clearance for everyday wear. Because the Columbias are low-tops, though, I haven't played DG in them on my home course.

My home course, where I play the vast majority of the time, has a lot of uneven terrain, with a few fairly steep slopes with mostly loose dirt/rocks/etc. There's a lot of loose leaves, twigs, pine cones and sweet gum balls and such on the fairways most of the time. The fairways themselves are mostly either dirt/rock or wood mulch -- a few are grass, but not many.

There's a small creek that's often dry that makes its way through a couple of holes, but otherwise no water to speak of unless the Atlanta Open's being held, in which case there's torrential downpours and standing water everywhere ;-) (two years running now). So waterproofing's more a nice-to-have feature than an essential. What really makes a difference for me is comfort for my wide feet, an upper and lace/tongue assembly that doesn't unduly constrict my high instep, and stability and support -- a mid- or high-rise ankle, wide sole at the heel and a design that minimizes twisting or rolling of the foot at the ankle, and a tread design that maintains good traction on the various surfaces of my home course.

I've liked the New Balance MW977s I've been wearing the last year or so, in every way except that they're a little bit on the heavy side (all-leather uppers) and a trifle warm at times (again, the leather, plus the GoreTex lining). But I love the ankle support, their stability and traction on the various surfaces, and their general comfort (aside from the issues mentioned above).

So knowing all that, is there a particular shoe model that you're aware of that's available in a wide width, that offers the same support and stability, but that's lighter and breathes better? BTW, my home course has concrete pads only on the black tees, and I mainly play the blues, which are crushed stone, so I don't generally have a problem with durability of the toe area of the upper.

So knowing all that, is there a particular shoe model that you're aware of that's available in a wide width, that offers the same support and stability, but that's lighter and breathes better?

Wide feet are always tough because so few great models do not come in widths wider than the men's standard D.

A couple of models that I would recommend, not based on long term personal experience myself, but rather on try-on feel and customer feedback would be:

Voyageur Mid by Keen (Keens have a nice wide toe box)
Moab Ventilator Mid by Merrell (comes in wide)
Breeze GTX by Vasque (Gore-Tex but still very breathable)
1201 by New Balance (I was skeptical at first but these are comfy, plus New Balance will always be the best with finding widths)

You may also want to try replacing the stock sockliners in your shoes/boots with Superfeet trim-to-fit insoles. They make a world of difference if you have any instability below the ankle. I do not but still wear them because they are so ergonomically sound. Check out the "Orange" or "Green" ones if you have a chance.

Or if you have any chronic foot pain like arthritis (like me) or neuroma check out the "DMP Black" or "DMP White" models with the comfy as all hell memory foam. A little more expensive but like walking on marshmallows.

Hope I could be of some help.

Latest posts