• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Short stride

Yeah I disagree with that article too.

If someone throws 50mph and they want to get to 60+mph...it makes it sound like you should just throw Blizzies and do a 360. When in actuality you should put in the time to get through your current form plateau and you'll be throwing faster with the same or less effort. Getting into the correct body positions, and getting weight transfer (not just forward speed!) is distance, from what I have seen. Keep in mind I only throw ~400'...but I've definitely undergone lots of changes to get there and they certainly haven't been throwing sub 170g discs or running real fast!

Looking at one aspect of a pro's form (hey look they all run up!) and then saying that it's the main reason for their distance certainly isn't science. I appreciate the cool stats and the effort to put it together...but I get a bit upset having it sold as science.

Yeah, adding forward speed/run up is the anti-advice. You do want to increase the mph on the disc, but it's not nearly as simple as increasing your stride/speed, which can easily do the opposite and throw off your timing. It's all about maximizing efficiency first.

You can defintely access hip power with a short stride, but you lose total forward velocity which can reduce distance.

This article shows scientifically how a big fast step adds distance: Using Science to Increase Your Drive Distance

The speed of your hips doesn't matter. The speed of the disc matters. I don't think I've ever seen Simon throw any shot (360 or otherwise) at anything but a very light jog.

Dave Dunipace said:
Many of the top pros take a very long final step onto their plant foot, but the average golfer should not do this. These pros are exceptional athletes who are very strong and flexible. They can afford to do things inefficiently and get away with it, but you and I cannot. If you take a very long step onto your plant foot (right foot for RHBH) you can get more power into the front side of the hit, but it won't do you much good if you can't finish properly. If your drive step to your plant is too long then you will not be able to get your weight over your plant foot and then pivot and follow through down field like Ken Climo and Cam Todd do.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/distancesecrets.shtml#plantfoot

A little excited this morning...I realize I don't rotate on my heel...just yet...but in one of those "ding..ding..ding we have a winner!" moments I'm doing some indoor x-step practicing and I focus on the balance of (rhbh) left foot pressing into the right foot's heel, which makes that connection/plant very strong, almost like you're pushing off your left foot into the right foot's heel, which in turn seems to delay my pull through, I come through strong, leaning forward, rotating off the heel with ZERO knee pressure, twist, etc, etc. Can't wait to try this in the field soon. Sorry for the blab.... lol...

A little excited this morning...I realize I don't rotate on my heel...just yet...but in one of those "ding..ding..ding we have a winner!" moments I'm doing some indoor x-step practicing and I focus on the balance of (rhbh) left foot pressing into the right foot's heel, which makes that connection/plant very strong, almost like you're pushing off your left foot into the right foot's heel, which in turn seems to delay my pull through, I come through strong, leaning forward, rotating off the heel with ZERO knee pressure, twist, etc, etc. Can't wait to try this in the field soon. Sorry for the blab.... lol...

This is the "squeeze between the knees" that Sidewinder talks about. Your knees will be bowed in when you do this as opposed to the horse stance that is a common problem.

You really have to have good flexibility in your hips to accomplish this (especially with faster and longer steps). I think the reason that a lot of people have problems bracing is that they don't have the flexibility (and strength) in their hips to perform the necessary movements. A short and slow stride makes it easier.

Will's way of it requires tremendous flexibility and has more power potential. Feldy's way requires very little flexibility. It's still basically the same move.

Played a full round with just a buzzz today doing the heel rotation and while my heel plant/rotation isn't perfect, the zero free knee pain/strain/etc was awesome and I didn't even wear my usual knee brace. I definitely notice a more pronounced pause now before I start the pull across my chest resulting in what feels like more overall torque/arm speed. It's crazy how this game just seems to require a certain number of hours put in before the "gotcha" moments occur. lol..

I think it takes an openness to try to solve the little mysterious relationships that add up to big change. I am so grateful for the relatively cheap / good slow motion video capabilities of phones, and the folks posting video of the top guys. It helps to be able to see the forces at play.