• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shots Fired by McBeth?

This. Look at how Connor McGregor has talking his way into millions in the UFC. Honestly he should keep this up, McBeth is too vanilla to energize a fan base. Even his play style is boring. Good, but boring.

Honest question here... Not bashing.

How do you find Paul's style of play boring?

I had the pleasure of spectating at Worlds last year during round five at Moraine. My daughter and I followed the lead card for all 18 holes. It was Paul, Will, Ricky and Nikko. They all made unbelievable throws. But Paul made more consistently ridiculous drives, approaches, and putts than the other great players did. Paul played some holes on completely different lines than the others. I just wonder how this translates into boring for you.

Thanks. Jim

Any publicity is good publicity, no?

sorry Lyle posted this while you were posting your matching comment

Last edited:
This interview was done by Smashboxx tv, not this writer. I'm guessing the writer knew he could take a few things out of context and every disc golfer on dgcr would read his article!

He's trolling us!

About will, he was asked who he hated to play against most in a pressure situation, he said I hate will most, this was a compliment to will, then he said Ricky has the potential to blow anyone out of the water but struggles under pressure. Paul isn't a jerk, he was genuine in answering his questions, and they were taken out of context so this guy could get some chatter about his article

Any publicity is good publicity, no?

Not if you're a delicate flower who wants to sue one of the biggest media companies in the world for libel because one of its writers deigned to bring your utterly irrelevant passion to millions of people who don't even know disc golf exists. Lol. Smdh.

I'm guessing this was very out of context, but nothing wrong with firing up Will and Ricky, and creating some conflict for interest in the sport. It is really exciting to me to see a player of Paul's caliber, and think you might have the GOAT in your midst, but it means a lot more when he has stiff competition. I'm hoping he gets more of that this year, and loses some big NTs. I loved MJ winning that tournament last year, and Jeremy, and would like to see more of that. Or a young guy like Eagle or Drew Gibson, or even better an older guy like JohnE. Paul has ice in his veins, takes it seriously, but not too seriously. Someone has to step up to the Mental plate and make big shots at the end of these competitions to overcome Paul.

scott-steiner-push-ups-o.gif

scott-steiner-taunt-o.gif

taunt.gif

Whatever gets us closer to having Jim Ross announce Disc Golf events I am definitely in favor of.

How do you find Paul's style of play boring?

Paul wins on consistency. He makes all the puts he should and hits all the fairways he should. Making medium range puts and hitting fairways don't make for exciting viewing. Making super long jump putts does. Crazy risky drives are exciting.

If you put people with no interest in disc golf in front of a tv with Paul and Nikko on it who do you think they want to watch? Nikko exudes exciting disc golf.

Personality also has a lot to do with it. And having a hairstyle that looks like your mom did it doesn't help either. Come to think about it everything about Paul reeks of low rent. Cheap ugly clothes, bad hair, lives in an RV. Not the guy I want to invest fandom in.

If I were Paul and whoever, which I am not lol, but if I were I would absolutely script a rivalry. Get a real personal feud going and milk it during multiple events. Mention each other on the mic after a win. Once it reaches critical mass challenge each other to play a match for their own money, something insane like $50k. Have it live streamed. And of course have an agreement to make the scoring as my back and forth for entertainment purposes and to not actually take each others money.

Just imagine the spectacle of such an event.

Paul wins on consistency. He makes all the puts he should and hits all the fairways he should. Making medium range puts and hitting fairways don't make for exciting viewing. Making super long jump putts does. Crazy risky drives are exciting.

If you put people with no interest in disc golf in front of a tv with Paul and Nikko on it who do you think they want to watch? Nikko exudes exciting disc golf.

I disagree (except for the Nikko part). Paul takes the risky lines, he runs the risky putts. He's extremely aggressive. He just nails the fairway. Two years ago he said the reason he was performing too poorly at USDGC was because he was playing too safe and he needed to attack more. So he started attacking the course, going for eagles, and finished 2nd and 1st.
He goes for eagle on USDGC 10 every time. He blasts a hyzer on USDGC 13 every time. He went for the eagle on 17 at Blue Lake at worlds last year.

He doesn't do the stupidly aggressive rollers like Nikko does all the time, but he's still extremely aggressive on the course.

Why was it when I read this it seemed both funny and mostly true. I agree Paul is not on my list of favorites to watch. Can't argue he isn't good though.

"Paul wins on consistency. He makes all the puts he should and hits all the fairways he should. Making medium range puts and hitting fairways don't make for exciting viewing. Making super long jump putts does. Crazy risky drives are exciting.

Personality also has a lot to do with it. And having a hairstyle that looks like your mom did it doesn't help either. Come to think about it everything about Paul reeks of low rent. Cheap ugly clothes, bad hair, lives in an RV. Not the guy I want to invest fandom in."

Personality also has a lot to do with it. And having a hairstyle that looks like your mom did it doesn't help either. Come to think about it everything about Paul reeks of low rent. Cheap ugly clothes, bad hair, lives in an RV. Not the guy I want to invest fandom in.

I dunno, I like watching the best athletes and I like watching winners. It's the same reason why EPL ratings crush MLS ratings. Americans will always prefer watching the best. To be fair, Americans also like watching people on the edge. Watching Paul crush Nikko's soul on a final round for the win, I guess would be the best of both worlds.

As for calling Paul "low rent," go on, tell me more...

I find it hard to believe that someone wrote Paul and boring in the same sentence. I wish I was that boring; please, I wish I was that boring.

Nikko ain't boring, borish, but not boring.

BTW - by this measure, Tiger Woods, in his heyday, was boring. If we can't get significant enjoyment out of a player being so focused that they can deliver higher than any other player, we're watching too much reality television.

Last, the fact that Paul often starts, off the lead, and cranks it up round by round to first chase, then squash the lead player, well, it doesn't get more exciting than that.