• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Should I try Gstar plastic?

I've used Gstar drivers in hot SC summers with no floppiness, so I've never bought this assessment.

Drivers in this plastic I think fly better (truer to numbers, better glide) off the shelf than their Star and Champion versions.

Gstars fly like well seasoned champ and star versions of the same disc off the shelf. I'm not surprised Dunipace likes it.

Everyone in this thread has been remarkably civil and reasonable. What's happened to all the DGCR trolls today? I guess nobody was drinking too much on a Thursday. Carry on people, carry on!

Everyone in this thread has been remarkably civil and reasonable. What's happened to all the DGCR trolls today? I guess nobody was drinking too much on a Thursday. Carry on people, carry on!

Sometimes it is just too much work to be evil. I will probably get my second wind later on today though.

Everyone is different. I like discs to be on the stiff side, and G-Star is more flexible than I like.

Agreed...this is the exact same for me!

I started disc golf about 6 months ago and bought a lot of DX plastic, which I actually like (if it only lasted longer). So my next progression was to Star plastic in the same models only to find I wished for a little more grip. I thought GStar would be the perfect plastic choice but it is much too flexible for me...my perfect plastic would be stiff and grippy - the G Star ain't it!!!

So I've since moved away from Innova and started trying different companies hoping to find a grippy but stiff plastic. The best I've found so far is the 400G plastic from Prodigy...could stand to be slightly stiffer but it's stiff enough and has a fantastic grip.

Several other plastics I'm learning to love are Lat64 Opto, Dynamic Discs Lucid, and Lat64 Gold. In fact the only Innova disc I currently carry is a DX Mirage, I love the understability of this disc.

TripleB

I tried GStar a few years ago. Firebird, Teebird, and Leopard. They all flew like wobbly bricks compared to Star. Like birds with clippped wings.

I don't get the appeal, but some people dig it.

While I like the feel, only one disc I've tried in G* has stayed in the bag, and that's a Beast X. Most of my friends love G* Terns and Destroyers. I just haven't found any of either that stick around for me.

While I like the feel, only one disc I've tried in G* has stayed in the bag, and that's a Beast X. Most of my friends love G* Terns and Destroyers. I just haven't found any of either that stick around for me.

I couldn't get a feel for the G* Destroyer. I can't even really put a finger on why, but I didn't like the way it flew and it seemed a bit too flippy. Give me regular star for Destroyers all day. G* Tern is really flippy. It glides for days and bombs, but you have to put a lot of hyzer on it to keep it flat.

Teebird3 and Shryke are the 2 best molds I've thrown in G*. I don't mind the Boss either though.

Give it a shot. It stays pretty consistent all year. It will firm up a little in the cold and soften a bit in the heat but not much and stays pretty close to the same feel in any weather. When the temps drop around 0° I have no problems gripping Gstar or DX. My Star and Champ discs firm up quite a bit and get slick. No issues with Gstar. I carry a good bit of Gstar and I've found they seem to break in a little quick and then just stay that same stability forever. I've had a few Gstar Thunderbirds in the bag for years and they go dead straight with a very slight fade and tons of glide. It's an awesome plastic option in the lineup.

Last edited:
I use just about all the various Innova plastics. I like gstar, especially for winter. I also have a domey gstar teebird that is just amazing. Gstar can be a bit too flippy in some molds or runs or whatever. I'm not liking my GStar teebird3 nor my g-line FD, but my GStar wraith is great. I generally opt for my star wraith unless I'm really worried about my grip. Give gstar a try! Why not.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk